Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

North Carolina VIN inspection - title question - help please
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
, it is not illegal to reproduce a VIN number or a VIN plate.

Confused Not so sure bout that one doc... but I've yet to research it either....

Think I guess for a "replacement" service chassis/tunnel ... You'd have to transfer the numbers Wink correct?

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after 3 1/2 years, I finally got off my butt and put it back together and got the '66 Tagged and Titled. Lots of help along the way. but it can be done.

IMO: Process is not worth the hassle.
No more Paperless VWs for me. lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCdad wrote:
Well after 3 1/2 years, I finally got off my butt and put it back together and got the '66 Tagged and Titled. Lots of help along the way. but it can be done.

It would be helpful if you would detail what all you endured to obtain a title for the next person who is searching for answers. Ending the thread with "not worth it" is very anti-climactic and says nothing of what is required.
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could one leave a car without a title at a mechanic's shop (a good trustworthy friend), not pick it up within the amount of time that said shop owner friend could get a mechanic's lien, and then title the car to him after securing the title from the state?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, my "new" 1980 diesel Dasher wagon is now an antique auto in NC, at 35 years old, so since I got it from out of state, I literally just had it inspected yesterday at local DMV office. I did have a title, not bill of sale, so that helped a lot. However, title was many years old, but fortunately all signed correctly, etc. I got a temporary tag at DMV office last week, which I believe expired in 90 days if I hadn't had it inspected.
Showed up at the Highway Patrol/DMV enforcement office yesterday at 8, guy copied my registration papers, did a VIN search on his computer to verify it wasn't stolen (which I thought was odd, since the tag office had already issued a registration to me) walked outside, took a couple pics of the car itself, plus a couple pics of the VIN plate & stamps, and that was it - about 15 minutes out the door.
So as long as your paperwork is in order, the inspection isn't too bad at least...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
NCdad wrote:

It would be helpful if you would detail what all you endured to obtain a title for the next person who is searching for answers. Ending the thread with "not worth it" is very anti-climactic and says nothing of what is required.

Yes, I understand what your saying.

My situation is that I purchased the car out of TN and it was delivered. Unfortunately the guy says Oops He forgot the title... will mail it to you when I get back..
re-worked the price without title, but didnt realize what I was getting into.

Here is what I had to do:

Quote:
I had the Bill of Sale Notarized.

Had to get 2 Appraisals from local shops, on company letter head.
Get these Notarized too.

Had to get the Indemnity Bond for 1.5 times the appraised value. ( $5000 value = $7500 Bond )

Fill out MVR- 92H http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR92H.pdf

Make sure the VIN # is correct on all paperwork
On the Bond Make sure the Body style is the correct code: for a beetle it is 2s ( not 2 door ) another vehicle may have their own number so ASK someone.

Call to make appt with Inspector, who will copy all your paperwork, give you originals to take to tag office, he will take photos of the VIN areas so make sure they can be seen.

I ran into a hassle here as my VW came with a 40hp motor, I converted it over to 12v and bought a parts car with a motor, got it started and used it while my 1835 is built. The serial number on the block had been ground down and only showed a B ( 1600 single port )
well this drew a big red flag. and delayed me a week.
after jumping through some hoops they finally let it pass.
SO, make sure there are numbers on the engine, or if its a NEW block there shouldnt be numbers.

Once the inspector gives you his report you can take all paperwork to the appropriate Tag Office... ( Make sure your local office does BOND Apps ) not all do. I had to got about 45 min away, as it was the only one that did them.

After the Tag office goes over the paperwork again and again, pay the fees, get a Tag and the title will be in the mail in about 8 weeks.

Thats it.
Hope it helps someone.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be an ass, but that sounds like one, maybe two, days worth of driving around to different offices.

So you take a day to fill out a bunch of forms and then they mail you the title? Doesn't seem complicated. Unless I'm missing something, which I usually am.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Not trying to be an ass, but that sounds like one, maybe two, days worth of driving around to different offices.

So you take a day to fill out a bunch of forms and then they mail you the title? Doesn't seem complicated. Unless I'm missing something, which I usually am.

Well that depends. If your vehicle is running and legal otherwise, you can drive it to the DMV for the inspection as soon as you can. Otherwise, you have to schedule a time for the inspector to come to your house to do the inspection there, which can add a couple months to the process (went through that with a beetle I got from out of state a few years back)
Also, and I may be wrong, but not every county has an office that can handle all that paperwork, so some of it may have to go through Raleigh.
NC DMV has a book of what proof of ownership is acceptable for each state. I went through that mess with a crew cab I got from Georgia, but it had come from AL before that, with a handwritten bill of sale, which almost got kicked back.
All that to say that while sometimes it can go pretty smoothly, other times it can be months of frustration...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: