Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone running square H4's ?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Anyone running square H4's ? Reply with quote

I recently picked up a syncro that has Hella square H4's in it. I looked for a set of these years ago and could not find any under $500-$600 a pair. I see that van cafe now has a $425 kit. http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_923_1053/h4_rectangular_head_light_kit.html

Whoever wired them didn't know what they were doing. The low-beams are wired to the original switch with relays but they are not throwing and the high beams are wired to the defrost switch w/o a relay? (still have not seen the H4's work) The brights function on the stalk does nothing. I am going to pull everything and relay them straight to the battery.

The city light function is pretty dope. These are mandatory in some european countries as a sort of a daytime running light from what I understand. The separate city light bulbs in the housing are amber so the headlights have a slight orange glow when the parking lights are on.

Anyone running these ? what do you think ? The stock squares kind of suck even when relayed with 80/100 bulbs. I was going to do a dual round kit for better lighting but I think the squares look much better on a Vanagon. just curious how many people are running these euro H4's and what you thought....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running round Euro H4's. I love them! My city lights are blue. They look wicked! I have bulbs for summer and winter (different color/ hue). Just pop out the housing and swap the bulb! Plus, if I have issues with the bulbs, pop into a FLAPS and get a new set- always in stock!
There was a set of BMW style 'Angel-Eye' lights I saw once, I've been looking for them ever since.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square H4s here, with 100/80w bulbs and relays. Love it, the best mod I have ever done to my van, a total pleasure to drive by night, do it!

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran square H4s on my 91 when we lived in Germany. I even ran a wire to make the parking lights (city lights) work, so both the regular US parking lights and European city lights worked. I eventually switched back to the DOT units. Right now the H4s are somewhere in one of the totes in my garage.

My 80 and 83 both have round H4 lights.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got them on the sycro, I would assume they are wired wrong judging by the couple of messes ive dealt with.

But they are great, I might put them in the west since I drive it more and I like lots of light when drivin.
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed several of the H4 100/80 upgrade Kits, in a few Vans. Love them they really light up your life, and make a huge lighting diference. And for like $75.00 bucks you can't go wrong. Not sure if I'm missing something but the Van-Cafe Kit looks to be the same other then you getting a new pair of Retangular Lights. Guess if you don't already have a decent set of lights it would make sense, maybe I'm missing someting. After-all your have to do an install either way.. Confused
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone running square H4's ? Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:

The city light function is pretty dope. These are mandatory in some european countries as a sort of a daytime running light from what I understand.

Actually, from what I have heard the city lights are for running at night in lighted European towns. Apparently in some countries it is illegal to turn on your full headlights in town if the road is lit. I use mine as a daytime running light with some little 20 W halogens, works pretty nicely and looks cool. I have round H4's though, easier to replace if you break one.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv changed out my square Hella H-4 for the square Cibies H-4s. Big improvment in the light output. The fluting on the lenses makes a big differens. I was going to post a compare pic but the camara doesnt get it. Its probably operator error.

jcl
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubNuts wrote:
I have installed several of the H4 100/80 upgrade Kits, in a few Vans. Love them they really light up your life, and make a huge lighting diference. And for like $75.00 bucks you can't go wrong. Not sure if I'm missing something but the Van-Cafe Kit looks to be the same other then you getting a new pair of Retangular Lights. Guess if you don't already have a decent set of lights it would make sense, maybe I'm missing someting. After-all your have to do an install either way.. Confused

The ones Van Cafe are selling are H4 housings. You can't use an H4 bulb in the stock north american rectangular housings.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them in the syncro.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo wrote:
...I have bulbs for summer and winter (different color/ hue...

I'm curious why the difference and what hue for what season (obviously red & green for the Holidays).
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the rectangular European H4 setup in my '86 running a Volks Cafe relay kit with 80/100 low bulbs and 100w highs and it is the way to go! There is a LOT more light than my '84 with the single round H4s, especially on high, and the city lights are adorable. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I live in Europe, I using the H4 headlights, now the square version Smile
all the auropean standard H4 licensed lights have a 4 or 5W parking light a 40W low beam and a 60W high beam
Now I am using a type of Philips bulbs with increased lightning power on 40/60W
My opinion is the square ones with the aux H7 high beam are better but more difficult/expensive to find replace. There is no new ones except the round type.
For me the SA light setup with the round aux high beam is the nicest setup
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got H4s and I like them..wired in a relay set..still have the standard H4 wattage bulbs in there. Will up it to 80/100w.

The "city lamps" are wired in and come on with the park lamps. Nice DRLs. Like the amber or blue bulb idea too.

Bus came with electronic headlamp adjusters too..nice.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anybody in Europe in a left hand driver's seat country be willing to identify auto recycling yards/ places with used Vanagon euro lamps for me on a PM? I have a lot of folks overseas but no automotive types and I would not trust them to get the right set of lights to send or the parts that hold them in place.

But if they had a phone number and city they could get them for me and send them in time for Christmas!!

I'd be interested in sending you a finder's fee if that works for you. Thanks!

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The square H4 assemblies aren't super common in the EU, they got round assemblies throughout the run.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Hella E-code rectangles with 100/130w offroad bulbs, next to Scirocco II high beams (same lens) with 100w yellow bulbs. These things are light cannons! I took great care to aim them relatively low, so I don't burn the retinas out of the local cop!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Would anybody in Europe in a left hand driver's seat country be willing to identify auto recycling yards/ places with used Vanagon euro lamps for me on a PM? I have a lot of folks overseas but no automotive types and I would not trust them to get the right set of lights to send or the parts that hold them in place.

But if they had a phone number and city they could get them for me and send them in time for Christmas!!

I'd be interested in sending you a finder's fee if that works for you. Thanks!

DougM

they come up from time to time, when i was in the UK i had bits shipped from germany to the UK, i'm sure you could get bits shipped to the US
www.ebay.de

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I'm running Hella E-code rectangles with 100/130w offroad bulbs, next to Scirocco II high beams (same lens) with 100w yellow bulbs. These things are light cannons! I took great care to aim them relatively low, so I don't burn the retinas out of the local cop!

Oh you got to post pics!!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a set of Rectangular European lights for sale soon,I'm waiting for my double round headlight grill to show up. Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: