Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone running square H4's ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2PLY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
2PLY wrote:
I have switched BOTH vans to 100% H.I.D. bulbs and Ballasts at 50W draw for each ballast.....

Great info.

I have a set of square e-codes sitting on my parts shelf waiting to get some lens protection and a relay rewire before I mount them.

What vendor did you use for the H.I.D. bulbs and Ballasts?

I heard about a private guy running his side business while working at a local Auto Parts store. I checked him out and confirmed that he had a good reputation and knew more about quality than I could come up with.

I live in the South King County area south of Seattle.

I think most if not all non-OEM purchases of H.I.D. lights will come from a private seller / agent or you take your chances on the Internet.

The lights I bought can be seen on a web page but I'll have to look to remember the Brand and models I bought.

One thing I did not know going in is that you can drive the standard HID 38 watt bulb with a 50 watt Ballast and not lose the warranty. It apparently is a little more effective in getting the best performance out of the bulb without damaging it.. You can get higher wattage bulbs but the price takes a big jump. As it is, I cut my power requirement in half while increasing my light output just a little but with better spread than I had with the 4x 100 Watt Halogens.

I believe it is technically illegal to instal HID lights in a vehicle that did not come with them from the factory. That is why you either order them from a web site or find someone you can speak to face to face.

The key is to have the correct lenses, choose a reasonable color that comes close to the color of Halogen along with a good aim of the lights and you will not blind people nor attract unwanted attention. If you blind a patrol car with your 25 year old VW Bus / Vanagon, you will invite an inspection and deserve it. Very Happy

87 Syncro Westy - 2007 Subaru 2.5L Dove Blue
91 Syncro Westy - Stock engine, Orly Blue
(Soon to receive the TDi from my wrecked 90 Syncro Westy)
2PLY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out that there is a lot more to correct lighting than I have ever read or heard.

My combination of Hella H4 Eurospec rectangular Vanagon headlights and HID bulbs appears to work for me but after reading the link below, I'll bet there are at least some problems with what I have.

In looking for better lighting, I first went with the Hella Factory H4 rectangle lenses.. they were expensive and are now unavailable as new. I then added the higher wattage H4 bulbs in the 55W-100W version and I added the 100W H3 to the square dedicated high beam. This required a by-pass relay system that by-passed my fuse panel and switches entirely and consumed a large portion of my alternator output while driving. These bulbs also rarely lasted a full year.

My switch to HID solved the power drain and could possibly make the full by-pass relay system unnecessary. However, before you rush out and do this switch, you should read this information that I have just discovered.. A little late for me...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

There is a ton of good information that hits upon just about anything to do with automotive and other lighting.. I'm saving this for further reading.

I was lucky in buying my equipment from a guy that did a lot of research to find the best products that he could stand behind... however, it appears that the only REAL way to switch to HID is for a completely new lens assembly that was made specifically for a specific HID bulb. I have never seen any complete upgrade of that sort for a Vanagon.. All I have seen are bulb upgrades for Halogen lenses which might be a bad thing in my case and definitely a bad install in many that I've seen on the road.

There appears to be a lot of pitfalls to upgrading your lights... I would read the article in that link above before you make a move.

Let's hope that LED technology might hold the answer in the future..

87 Syncro Westy - 2007 Subaru 2.5L Dove Blue
91 Syncro Westy - Stock engine, Orly Blue
(Soon to receive the TDi from my wrecked 90 Syncro Westy)
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HID bulbs are designed to be used with a projector headlamp, as opposed to the reflector based headlamps that are stock to all Vanagons. The design of the HID bulb doesn't allow it to work properly with the reflector housing because it doesn't aim the light rearward onto the reflector like a halogen bulb does.

The photo below shows the obvious physical differences between an H4 HID bulb and a Halogen bulb:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The opaque covering at the tip of the halogen bulb is one of the key design elements that allows the bulb to function properly with the reflector lens. Unlike a flashlight bulb (or an HID bulb capsule), no light is emitted through the front of the bulb. Instead, it is bounced back to the rear of the headlight housing, where the beam shape (length, width and cutoff) is controlled by the parabolic reflector.

The precise positioning of the filament(s) is another important factor in how the lighting is managed by the reflector. Even tiny variances in filament position can have a major effect on the quality and quantity of light coming from the headlamp.

When you install an HID bulb into a headlight housing designed for a halogen bulb, the light can't be properly shaped by the reflector due to the fact that the HID bulb doesn't control the direction of light emerging from it. HID manufacturers often try to get around this by installing small mirrors (or moving shields for high/low beam applications) to mimic the basic design elements of the halogen bulb, but the end product still doesn't function well in the reflector housing.

The fact that the HID bulb uses a high voltage electrical arc to create the light also means that there is no way to approximate the filament position that is so important to standard halogen bulbs.

All this adds up to an incredibly bright, but not well controlled light source on the front of the van that produces unacceptable levels of glare for oncoming traffic and often results in unwanted police attention or failed safety inspections.

People have done full retrofits of projector based HIDs into the stock rectangular lenses found on 86-91 vans with varying degrees of success. There is a good post on the process here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510732&highlight=

Using HID bulbs in the inner high beam lens is probably fine, since they are not meant to be used in traffic, but they really can't be forced to function properly in the main outer lens.

Unfortunately, most of these same design considerations apply to LED lighting as well. A simple replacement bulb system really can't be designed to work with the reflector lens, the lighting source and headlamp must be designed together.

Since the 86-91 Vanagon uses a proprietary headlamp, it is highly unlikely that a plug and play solution will ever be offered to safely incorporate HID or LED lighting. There are commercially available HID and LED headlamps for the 7" round headlamps found on 80-85 vans. So converting to the earlier round headlamp setup or the South African grill is probably the easiest solution for people looking to use HID or LED headlamps on their van.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: