Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broke down in yreka ca
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Broke down in yreka ca Reply with quote

I broke down in yreka ca with shredded cv. No one local has parts and I was wondering if anyone had parts nearby? It is an 88 with a auto tranny. Any help is appreciated
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

destroyed CV? Bolts fell out (normal, fixable in an hour)? Or shredded rubber boot? a little help "seeing" and experiencing what you are would help.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a VW shop on the east side of I-5 in Yreka, kind of along the frontage road. I don't remember the name of it, and I didn't notice if it was still there when I passed through over Thanksgiving .. though I've heard rumor that the owner was retiring a couple years ago.

Failing that, I'd see about getting ahold of Scott Daniels @ turbovans.com located outside of Medford, Oregon or seeing if either Wolfgang International or Bus Boys (both in Redding) are open tomorrow.

Good luck. And while it sucks to be broke down, better to break down in town than out in the boonies...
hforo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated info:

The screws look to be intact. The large round housing (that the screws are in) spins when given gas, but the shaft stays still. What's our next step?

Thank you so much everyone!
hforo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're only in town because we got towed, we broke down way out in the boonies :/
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is on a simple "screws backed out and snapped off the remainder of those that did not" situation. You'll have to get in there with an allen wrench or whatever heads yours has and see if they spin. A visual won't tell you much if this is the case. Would be good news because you won't need parts, just someone who can remove the axle shaft, get the broken bolt bits out and put new bolts in properly. Update when you can.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
My money is on a simple "screws backed out and snapped off the remainder of those that did not" situation. You'll have to get in there with an allen wrench or whatever heads yours has and see if they spin. A visual won't tell you much if this is the case. Would be good news because you won't need parts, just someone who can remove the axle shaft, get the broken bolt bits out and put new bolts in properly. Update when you can.

all screws are intact cv is broken
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
There used to be a VW shop on the east side of I-5 in Yreka, kind of along the frontage road. I don't remember the name of it, and I didn't notice if it was still there when I passed through over Thanksgiving .. though I've heard rumor that the owner was retiring a couple years ago.

Failing that, I'd see about getting ahold of Scott Daniels @ turbovans.com located outside of Medford, Oregon or seeing if either Wolfgang International or Bus Boys (both in Redding) are open tomorrow.

Good luck. And while it sucks to be broke down, better to break down in town than out in the boonies...

thanks so much. This is just the info we were looking for. We found the local guy with a million vw but his shop was closed. Scott at turbo vans was very helpful.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah bummer. Well, it's an external item to fix, so in the whole scheme of things not such a bad or spendy repair compared to a clutch, tranny or diff. Best to you guys.

DougM
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subagon in Redding might assist as well. They have been known to help out travellers.

http://subagon.com/
Joe Baker – 530.227.2610
Jim Baker – 530.515.4900

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW guy in Yreka is on the east side of I-5 on the south side of town. You can't miss the place. I'm sure most people in town know the crazy vw guy.
He's got at least 40-50 VW's facing I-5 as you enter town from the south.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
The VW guy in Yreka is on the east side of I-5 on the south side of town. You can't miss the place. I'm sure most people in town know the crazy vw guy.
He's got at least 40-50 VW's facing I-5 as you enter town from the south.

I've been by that place too. It's odd to see such a large collection of VW's in such an out of the way place like that. It was still there when we drove by after christmas.

Here's the google listing:

Tehama Tire Services Inc‎
2007 Fairlane Road
Yreka, CA 96097-9534

(530) 842-1264
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vw guy in yreka is called garcias foreign car. We went there three times over two days, it was always closed and no one answered the phone. We are back on the road now thanks to Scott at turbo vans in Medford who pulled one off of his van for us. Thanks samba for all the help and info. This community is awesome. This is one of the many reasons I will never sell van. Btw the cv was totally destroyed and it tossed all but one bearing. I will post pics when I get back. Thanks again.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - tip of the hat also to Scott at turbo vans for helping you out so graciously!

Let us know what happened with the CV. Was it greased? Finally, what brand was it? Thanks!
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is my friends van(hforo who posted above.) He bought the van recently and the previous owner had close to $17000 of work in the last two years which is why he was selling it. It had rebuilt motor,tranny, wheel bearings and new axles put in less then 4000 miles ago(according to the reciept) by a local shop. NO GREASE AT ALL ON THE TRANNY SIDE of the CV. Bad work that the previous owner had paid a lot of money to have done. Hforo is going to be contacting their shop. The cv was german lobro but with no grease it did not stand a chance. THangs again everyone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: