Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What pots and pans do you keep in your van?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: pots Reply with quote

Hey guys,

The magma pots dont fit in the sink. Well, they do actually fit in the sink but you can't close the top. Smile

We dont use the sink so I removed my pump and lower shelf in the front cupboard and my pots nest in that front corner quite nicely.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw another twist in a pot, while u r boiling u can charge your cell, then I saw the pricce & my bubble popped, kinda interesting tho.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a new larger Waffle iron to the mix. I wanted a bigger iron for when there are more than
myself eating. I found this one on Amazon and watched the video and that's what sold me. The iron
itself is really nice, easy clean up with soap and water. Makes big Belgian Waffles enough for two
people.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004W4UE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The price seems to fluctuate some, I bought it for $36 and the day it was delivered it went up.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added a Java Drip to the collection. We were using one on our recent trip in Florida and thought it would also
work well at home.

Link

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use this stainless steel pot set from Stansport. Works great and fits nicely in the cabinet under the table between the stove and the water tank nested into three plastic basins (two for washing and rinsing, and one for collecting gray water out of the sink under the van).

http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Family-Cook-Set-SS/dp/B00D6LEHW2

Stainless is a little more work in cleanup, but it's so worth it because it cooks so much better (even heat distribution) and lasts much longer.

Oh yeah, I also frequently bring a large dutch oven. Great for making pizza and tons of other yummy things! Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hydaway"... Genius space saving water bottles that are safe, economical, and very environmentally friendly: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/291569621/hyd...scription#

Available in 12oz or 21oz size, but it looks like the 21oz size will fit better in a cup holder.
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go for small and light- smaller teapot, titanium camp pots, plastic cups, etc. I love cast iron pans and ceramic mugs, but it's just too heavy for hauling everywhere, particularly since it all stays in the van.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked through the entire thread yet, but I like this collapsible teapot and coffee cone. They consume about 1/4 the space of my previous coffee making gear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008IA4N3Y/ref=mp_s_...ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002YT2CII/ref=mp_s_...ref=plSrch

p.s. The teapot pours wonderfully, a nice stream and no drips. Like a teapot should work.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just bought that same tea pot, and a collapsible bowl. Used the tea pot last weekend for the first time. We use a Keurig capable French Press for coffee and the tea pot heated enough water for 2 big cups of coffee.

Collapsed

Ready for use

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

I ordered the GSI BugABoo on sale from Dicks last week. $54 shipped.

Up until now we used some old kitchen stuff, it didn't nestle at all, didn't pack well, it had glass tops, food stuck to it, it rattled as you drove and it was a royal PITA to clean!

We purchased a retirement home and these old pots moved into it's kitchen leaving the Van lacking cooking gear.

Now I know that there is much discussion about the evils of Teflon and how it is going to kill us over time...... which is probably true...... but clean up while on the road is always difficult at best.
After my experiences with the old kitchen stuff, I wanted easy to clean! At home I use cast iron a lot but for me, it is too heavy for travel.
I decided to live on the Wild side and get some of that new fangled teflon stuff!

Seeing this sale promoted me to pull the trigger.

My BugaBoo was on my doorstep when I got home late last night from the house.
I wasn't sure if the order was even placed for there was zero post sale contact with me.

Knowing it was teflon coated, I was wondering how it travels without getting scratched being nestled together like they are.

Now that I have it in front of me, it is very cleverly designed. The plates are integral to safe travel, the shape of the plates is such that they fit in the large pot protecting the pots bottom and also cradle the bottom of the small pot preventing any possible contact between the pots.

The bowls/mugs nestle inside of each other and in turn fit nicely in the small pot.
The handle goes in one of the mugs.

The small pot top fits snuggly on top of the small pot with the mugs in it and the large top fits on top of the small top.

This is all Capped with a frying pan.

Ingenious!

It looks well made, I can't wait to try it out.
Admittedly, the pots are a spun Aluminum and not a heavier cast product, but it IS car camping and weight IS a concern.

Upon first glance, it seems like a great deal!
Time will tell..........

Just as a side note, YEARS ago...... 1970's...... we picked up Ingrid, a plate and bowl travel system. It has held up well and while not the best space saving design for the camper, she carries a lot of sentimental history, kids were little..... good times you know?
Anyway, You get various plates, cups, bowls and even two large serving bowls.
(Not my set, pulled the image off line)

We are good to go now!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

We're full-timers so carry a bit more. But we use all of it so think I'd do the same for a two-week trip if cooking what we wanted was important enough.

-- 10" cast-iron deep skillet (Dutch Over with a normal pan handle)
-- matching lid doubling as fry pan
-- 4-quart stainless pot and lid for chili and soup after cast-iron saute, and for crab or lob at rare times
-- 1.6-quart MSR stainless backpacking kettle/lid for water boiling, coffee and tea water, and reheats
-- 1-quart stainless backpacking kettle, won't replace when breaks
-- stainless colander (large but nests)
-- three stainless mixing bowls
-- stainless pot-base steamer
-- 1-quart stainless French Press coffee pot
-- coated pie plate for pizza (on to do list!) and reheats inside cast-iron
-- 4 large soup bowls
-- All nests and occupies a nine-inch cube -- plus the cast-iron handles we use to hold other things in place.
-- all other cooking implements are stainless or wood

A couple things, after forty years of backpacking it's clear as a bell that aluminum is toxic as hell. Coating helps and is getting better but research is everywhere and I do not believe aluminum's anywhere as inert as stainless or glass. Iron can bleed into your food if not put away cleaned and oiled, and again wiped clean before use. Oil does a great job of pulling excess iron out over a few hours (look at the napkin you cleaned it with!).

I wish someone would jump on this and offer a cookset that fits perfectly in the sink, in a padded case for those Jeepish moments. VW and Westy logos would be a nice touch. And in Interior brown or gray. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

DJ- My grandfather had these old teflon coated pans that he used every day. The teflon was completely gone except from the sides. He lived to 103. I'm not worried about teflon.

Is the biggest pot in that GSI kit big enough to boil water for 3 portions of pasta? My wife is Italian and pasta is "indispensabile." I think we saw them at REI and she said the pot was too small.

I'm guilty of obsessing about weight. This is a result of my yacht racing days (when I say yacht I'm talking about a 27 footer I bought for $4500). Every single piece of equipment was jettisoned if not necessary and if necessary had to be the lightest example possible. Like coffee mugs. Plastic. Not a big difference from ceramic but every little bit helps and it adds up.
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'd previously replied to this or not.

We use a TeFal Ingenio studio apartment set that nests with detachable handles.

Similar to this, the set we got years ago was a HSN special and came with alot more stuff...

https://www.amazon.com/Tefal-Ingenio-Induction-Det...ngenio+set

We like it so much we usually use it as our main home set and bought another set for our cabover camper.

I really want to get the MSR Basecamp set for the van, but the wife is hesitant to have to cook out of backpacking gear. She really likes the TeFal stuff.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

I wanted to add a note about the Lodge double-wide griddle -- and its similars if they share low sides.

We had one and absolutely loved it. For eggs and omelets and pancakes and hash browns, fabulous.

For bacon and sausage and other meats, a massive fire hazard.

Hopefully this post helps more than enflames.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

kbeefy wrote:
I'm not sure if I'd previously replied to this or not.

We use a TeFal Ingenio studio apartment set that nests with detachable handles.

Similar to this, the set we got years ago was a HSN special and came with alot more stuff...

https://www.amazon.com/Tefal-Ingenio-Induction-Det...ngenio+set

We like it so much we usually use it as our main home set and bought another set for our cabover camper.

I really want to get the MSR Basecamp set for the van, but the wife is hesitant to have to cook out of backpacking gear. She really likes the TeFal stuff.

Oh my. I use a T-fal fry pan at home. It's a decent non-stick when you need a non-stick (top-rated by Cooks Illustrated). The set below looks like a good deal for $65. It would replace 25 year old MSR stainless plus an ancient non-stick handleless pan that we've been using.

Great tip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AHR5USC/ref=psdcmw_3737221_t3_B00HZVOBZM

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
DJ- My grandfather had these old teflon coated pans that he used every day. The teflon was completely gone except from the sides. He lived to 103. I'm not worried about teflon.

Is the biggest pot in that GSI kit big enough to boil water for 3 portions of pasta? My wife is Italian and pasta is "indispensabile." I think we saw them at REI and she said the pot was too small.

I'm guilty of obsessing about weight. This is a result of my yacht racing days (when I say yacht I'm talking about a 27 footer I bought for $4500). Every single piece of equipment was jettisoned if not necessary and if necessary had to be the lightest example possible. Like coffee mugs. Plastic. Not a big difference from ceramic but every little bit helps and it adds up.

I'm no Italian chef, but I think that your Wife would consider the large pot to be too small for her Pasta.
But...... there are arguments for cooking Pasta using way less water and still ending up with great Pasta, something to seriously consider when camping.

Unknown to me, "thick" pasta water is a prized cooking commodity to be used in sauces and such.

Interesting read on water and Pasta.......

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/dining/25curi.html

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

General Note:

We tend to have members who are very passionate on given topics and strongly believe that their opinions are the ONLY correct opinions.

It is fine if you love cast iron, hate Aluminum and think Teflon is the best thing since sliced bread........ tell us, its ok.......... BUT please refrain from attacking and belittling members who hold different opinions than those you hold.

Thanks!
Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
General Note:

We tend to have members who are very passionate on given topics and strongly believe that their opinions are the ONLY correct opinions.

It is fine if you love cast iron, hate Aluminum and think Teflon is the best thing since sliced bread........ tell us, its ok.......... BUT please refrain from attacking and belittling members who hold different opinions than those you hold.

Thanks!
Dave

Is telling people who don't use an authentic Sicilian pasta pot from the old country to go takeout from Olive Garden belittling or just giving guidance??

Very Happy
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:

I'm no Italian chef, but I think that your Wife would consider the large pot to be too small for her Pasta.
But...... there are arguments for cooking Pasta using way less water and still ending up with great Pasta, something to seriously consider when camping.

Unknown to me, "thick" pasta water is a prized cooking commodity to be used in sauces and such.

Interesting read on water and Pasta.......

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/dining/25curi.html

Dave
We just started doing this when short of water or pot space, or when bound to the van in a storm and don't want to drain in a colander.

Boil one quart of salted water per pound of noodles, cook to al dente, and you're there. Edit: at higher altitudes or with thicker pastas, you may need to add slightly more water as you cook.

And great article link, Dave! The "pasta water" as a thickener makes sense, if we add butter and Parmesan at the end it is creamier than normal with the starchy water!

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: What pots and pans do you keep in your van? Reply with quote

what the frick?!? I haven't gotten mine yet and I posted the deal...
Excited for it to come but I am a bit nervous it will be stolen off my porch Sad
djkeev wrote:
I ordered the GSI BugABoo on sale from Dicks last week. $54 shipped.
My BugaBoo was on my doorstep when I got home late last night from the house....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: