Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Murphy Ranch Bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Murphy Ranch Bus Reply with quote

I was watching the TV show Off Limits on Discovery Channel last night and the show was about L.A. at the end they went to this place north of Santa Monica called Murphy Ranch. its a compound that was build by American Nazis back in the late 1930s and was raided by the FBI in the 1940s. its been abandoned ever since. at the end of that segment they're showing different parts of the property and they show an flipped over bus somewhere on the property.

a basic location of where its at

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

what it looks like from the outside

the bus on the property

im guessing its a 64-67
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy! Let's get it and make it the BNNTA raffle Bus!

Got spot! Now who will be the first local to visit and take more shots for the thread?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should just have Brian Piercy go down there and do another drive out. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
comcam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been up there yet to take photos. Would be sweet to get some shots of the bus.
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus looks fucked!
KombiMarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the address, check out the pics on Google Earth....that gate has aged a bit the last few years hehehe...

Sullivan Fire Road, Los Angeles, California 90272

The canyon shadows in the pics make it impossiblel to locate the resting pile of splitty....

There has to be some usable parts there, I for one could use the over riders.

Thanks Marc
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front beam is worth saving too and looks like there might be a pedal pan on it? (although very tweaked if it is) Maybe someone could find out who made the documentary and try calling them up?
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my bro used to party at this place with his buddies back in the 80's. I'll try to make a day trip up there soon...it's about 25 miles from my house. Weather is supposed to be ugly in L.A. by the weekend. The ranch is 55 acres...that's a lot of unforgiving hillsides, but that bus is probably at the bottom of a road. Maybe I can do a day trip for photos and maybe a few things that come loose off of it...Check out the links below...hopefully they can be opened...Thanks for sharing widehatch!

If somebody gets out there real soon please post your findings...

http://wikimapia.org/

3630380/Murphy-Ranch-Nazi-Camp-Hartford-Artists-Colony-Site

http://www.hikespeak.com/trails/rustic-canyon-murphy-ranch-nazi-ruins/
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also looked on google earth. I love that program.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be named the Nazi bus? It looks like it rolled down that hill.
Riqs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice day out before all the rains come and I need a break from the drawing board. Heading out there today for a hike so I will see what I find. Will let you all know later.
Riqs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just got back in from visiting the ranch and saw the split. She's rough but there are a few parts there that can be had. It appears that this bus was indeed rolled down the embankment, probably 30 feet or so. There is not much left of the roof or the upper half above the belt line. The beam seems to be in actually very good condition with all steering components in place as well. There is even the passenger side wheel with tire still attached to the beam along with the steering box. The splash pan is waisted but most of the pedal components are still there. The shift rod is mostly there along with the heater tube and silencers. The rear apron has surface rust but is un cut and in rather good condition. I did find the 2/3 seat ( frame and springs) up front buried inside but it is pretty rough, could be used for a rat ride and a few of the springs are broken. The front bumper does look good. Someone removed two of the bumper mount bolts but overall, it looks in decent condition. With that said, since it is laying on the passenger side, I cannot tell the condition of that side of the bumper. The over riders are indeed in fair condition along with the over rider tubes. If you want to put in some time and get the parts, its about a 45 minute to an hour walk down into the canyon where it sits. Its all downhill and would be a chore to get parts back out but to some, well worth it. Take lots of water with you since there is none around. Today it was only 65 in the canyon but I went through 2 bottles of water. Also take a can of PB blaster and a selection of box end wrenches. That's pretty much it. I do have some pictures and will try to get them up soon.

Rick
Jer*Fab
Samba Welder Dude

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sweet, i saw this bus on that show as well and wanted to go check it out..

Also Narrowed Bug and Bus Beams!

Follow us on FaceBook and Click the "Like" Button or Instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, can't believe it was found so fast! How did you even find it if it was a 45 minute walk down there? Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Riqs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched the address and went there. Followed a few directions as best as I could from the web. There are a few old roads down there and I just went by my hunch and eventually found it. Its down close by the bottom of the canyon. I should say it took me about that time to walk out of the canyon. a little longer to get down there and find it. I could have walked right by it if I haden't looked over my left shoulder and seen it as it is down in the ravine. I am trying to get the pics uploaded tonight some time.
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the steering wheel on it? any window hardware in it?
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
Riqs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no steering wheel or any window hardware. All the windows are pretty much gone as well.
Riqs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here are the pictures from my day excursion to Murphy Canyon and the bus within. From the 405, you take Sunset and head west 3 miles to Capri Dr and head north. Follow Capri up through the traffic circle until you get to the top where you make a left. Follow this street until you get to the end where you will see a sign that says Josephina Camp, it's a Boy Scout camp of sorts. You can park somewhere along that small road but I would recommend parking where Capri ends by the big houses. Anyhow, once parked, walk along the road heading towards the Boy Scout camp, you will come to a controlled gate, just walk around it. After about 15 minutes walking, you will come across the main entry gate at the Ranch.

You can go to the left through a big hole in the wall. From this point, follow the main road, which is broken up concrete, until you come to a fork in that road, vier left and continue down the road. Continue down and you will near the bottom of the canyon and come upon another fork, stay left. You will come across many remnants of old houses and water tanks and pretty elaborate concrete curbs along the road.

Soon you will come across what I believe is an old church that is tagged up in a serious way. There were at least a hundred or so empty spray cans below the floors there.

From the church, walk another 5 minutes or so until you see what looks like an old service station that was once framed entirely in steel and has since collapsed. To the left of this structure is a large through way, walk through it and just a few steps past that point look down the embankment and you will see the bus through the trees.

Once at the bus, you will see she is very rough shape but there are a few usable parts there to be had. The roof and sides from the belt line up are toast. The rear apron is in very usable condition, uncut but with some surface rust on it.

The beam is all in tact and there is little to no rust on it. It even has the steering box and all associated steering components on it. The passenger tire and wheel are also there but you would need to get the beam off to get it

Someone mentioned they would mind having the bumper? It is in great condition from what I can see. It has all the components but I cannot see what shape it is in on the passenger side which it is laying on but I would imagine it being in decent shape.

I did find the 2/3 seat but it is crusty but might make for a good hod ride candidate.

With a can of PB blaster and an assortment of tools, I am sure someone could go and get a few parts. Be careful as there is a presence of law enforcement up there. The bus however is down in the ravine so they probably don't get down there to much. I would take water with you. Here are a few more pics for your viewing pleasure.

And last but not least, I did find the drivers side door in another location but it is unusable, rusted away. Locking mechanism still there but rough.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Rick
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool pics , thanks for going down there. the service station looking building was actually the garage and living quarters while the mansion was to be build. it never got built due to the feds raiding the place. if you can catch the show Off Limits on Travel Channel. watch the episode about LA. they kayak down the LA river, go inside the LA aquaduct and visit the Murphy Ranch.

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Off_Limits
Riqs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking it was something like that as well as there are a lot of remnants of refrigerators, stoves and bathroom facilities. I did find a few other treasures while down there, I am sure there are many more if you have the time to explore. Cool hike never the less.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: