Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lucy's BIG adventure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Survival of the fittest! I didn't know that about Koalas but I never considered eating one. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrs. rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
DAIZEE wrote:
horse meat aka cherry meat is supposed to be very very succulent and extremely lean. Not real common in most of North American but some ethnic areas in Toronto do carry it. Never had kangaroo, what's it like.

horse meat is yummy, kangaroo has it's own distinct flavor, a very game'y taste, lots of people don't like it
i used to catch, kill, hang and butcher them myself in OZ, they consider them vermin, even though it's on their flag

in a nation park in Perth WA, i had thoughts about eating koala, unfortunately for me, lucky for the koala, they are toxic, the eucalyptus trees they eat are toxic

I'M not yet as well versed in meats as my other half... I was veterinarian for many years and only over the past few have I slowly become a carnivore:)
I have how ever eaten porcupine, frogs legs and foie gras. Smile That was Yummy... Not bad for a once vegetarian Wink

lucy's BIG adventure
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I noticed you removed the rubber strip on the driver's side of the bumper. What else??

LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... we're planning to do the Florida leg of your trip in February. We've done the trip twice by boat, down the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW). This time we want to see something of the roads and towns we saw from the water. US 17 seems to be the winner for much of the trip down to Florida. After that, A1A and 17 may have to duke it out for our attention.

Beaufort, NC (that's "BOfort" - Beaufort, SC is "BEWfort" - people do care about the difference) is worth a stop if you can't get further out to the Outer Banks. They have an excellent, if small, marine museum that's deserves attention.

Along the ICW, the last stop before Myrtle Beach, SC is Southport, NC. This is a surprising small town that has a lot to offer. We look forward to our stops there and hope to spend more time there during "The Great Land Cruise South".

Look into stopping in Georgetown, SC. A surprising amount of the coastal southeast's history is tied up in rice. The Rice Museum in Georgetown explains much of this history.

Charleston is a great city to spend time in. By all means, do the carriage ride. The routes are varied (city ordinance to keep the carriages from gumming up the streets) so you never know which one you'll get (even the guide doesn't know until he/she gets the word from the city). It's also an easy city to walk around in.

Beaufort, SC - scenes from Forest Gump were shot there, there are some attractive homes, and good restaurants. However, it's on my very short list of places where some locals just plain ticked me off. YMMV

Old Savanah has a lot going for it, too, although we like Charleston more. It's not as easy a city to walk around in - it's just bigger. Take a tour to get oriented. If you're a Johnny Mercer fan, you've come home, of course. And if you read or saw "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", then you're back to the Mercer house as well as the "Midnight" tour.

St. Augustine is another small city that's easy to walk around in. By all means take the tour of Flagler College to see the hotel [Henry Flagler] built (now dorms for the college).

Anyway, please keep us posted on how the trip goes and particularly what camp sites, etc. work for you "after season".

Last edited by RBEmerson on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tent camped in Florida in our winter months which is Fl's camping season. The snakes find it too cold and disappear so most of the Floridian campers fill the camps in the winter and prices are/were quite expensive. That was 6 to 10 years ago tho.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73thingsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Neat place for a Sunday afternoon in St. Augustine Reply with quote

If Cap's is still open, a bar on the waterway, it's a helluva nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Sippin' drinks while the boats float up and tie up on the dock, good music and kickback attitude. At least it was like that several years ago when I was there. I hope it still is.

If you're rolling through NC, near Asheville there are dozens of waterfalls within easy walk off some of the scenic state routes. Just google "waterfalls in NC" you'll find 'em.
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you departed from home yet??
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelB12 wrote:
Have you departed from home yet??

tomorrow morning 10:30 Very Happy

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's repeat this line from Robbie Burns: "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley"... Wink

Seriously, drive safe and enjoy the drive!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US 17 through Newport News, Virginia will take you very near The Mariner's Museum, certain to have something to appeal to your nautical interests. That comes right after the Yorktown Battlefield Park and before the drive through the Great Dismal Swamp. A little something for everyone in the 30 miles or so between the York River and the NC line. In addition, I hear English Motors in Yorktown has some Vanagons in the parts yard. Have fun.

Stephen in Richmond
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Mariner's Museum. We were in the area about a month ago and found it fascinating. In Norfolk there's Nauticus, also an amazing maritime museum. And, of course, there's a lot to be said for Yorktown, Colonial Williamsburg, and Jamestown. We looked into year 'round campgrounds in the area and found Anvil Campground.

One good benefit about taking US 17 south from the Norfolk area, along the Dismal Swamp route is the North Carolina visitor's center, a couple of miles south of the VA/NC state line. Many folks going down "the ditch" tie up there for the night; the visitor's center has information about NC but also places further south.

New Bern, NC is another place to think about visiting. There are pre-Revolutionary era homes and the Tryon Palace as well as one of best hardware stores I've ever been in. And for Pepsi fans, New Bern is where it all began - the drug store where Pepsi was first made is now a Pepsi museum (honest!).
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were three things Mr RubberChicken needed to finish the van.
Weld it.
Paint it.
ooops

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Luckily a vanagon horder had a spare starter in his spare parts barn.

And... now the party has started, they're rollin!!

Good luck guys! it was great to meet you, I'm super jealous of your adventure. /pauric

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say whut? Tell us more, tell us more!
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, nothing major. Just a few last minute gremilins to iron out in Lucy. The RubberChickens arrived a little late and flustered due to an issue starting the van. Quickly sourced to the starter motor and after everyone had some super tasty clamchowder we put our heads together and Dale fished out a starter motor from an old repair (he r&r'd a starter only to find it was not the problem, and kept the core)

I had to leave at 4ish, I think some of them are camping there overnight. Mr & Missus RChicken needed to be in NY tonight.

It's not an adventure unless something goes wrong!

RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, better to have the starter go south among a group of friends with spares than in a rest stop on the Thruway! Very Happy
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some more pics in Lucy send off party thread.
Pauric - thanks for the warm cider today!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. rubbachicken wrote:

kamzcab86--
Phoenix, AZ, very much in our plan. though not yet planned out! we have family in the area:) but We would love to get together with you. just send us your info:)

PM sent... to you both, just in case. Wink Maybe we can make it a Phoenix/AZ Vanagon get-together, depending on everyone's schedule of course. Safe travels! Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Mrs. rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a very late start on our trip, we met up with the Send-off party people in Srewsbury, Lucy's Send off PARTY!

You were ALL so COOL.

We were sure we would be there with one or two people, and that would have been fine, but the turn-out was overwhemingly wonderful.
You guys were SO nice and even though we were so so so late for our own send-off party, you were there with hot cider, hot chowda, pizza and a baby, (so cute!) waiting for us, and most importantly, waiting for us with a smile:) THANK-YOU!!!

Then there was Dale who saved our day with an old starter from his stash... ONLY in circles like this, can one turn up with a dead starter, and someone say: ''I have one in my house I can give you''... I mean, REALLY??? You Crazy Crazy WONDERFUL people!

can you tell which one is the new one ?

So THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, and once again, THANK-YOU!!! to you ALL!!!

And with that, we made it to Chester NY. Cool

and took a senic ride up to Bear mountain.

Love this idea:)
Dazee-----
DAIZEE wrote:
Here's an idea: Seeing as Lucy will be travelling mostly in the south where winter is not so severe, perhaps at major areas or where ever on their agenda a meet n greet could be had. Sounds like a good reason to meet a 'foreign' (we have all embraced you to North America) world travelling Vanagonitiser and party!
... Feel free to contact us if you want a meetup:)

--
Dana Crake Smile

lucy's BIG adventure
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucy made it to DC Very Happy
we had a stop over at the bus depot, this morning as the fuel pump is louder than the engine Laughing and i don't really want the tailgate dropping on my head, so we bought a new pair of struts, an uneventful drive thankfully, she gets the day off tomorrow while we go and see what's to see in DC

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
lucy made it to DC Very Happy
we had a stop over at the bus depot, this morning as the fuel pump is louder than the engine Laughing and i don't really want the tailgate dropping on my head, so we bought a new pair of struts, an uneventful drive thankfully, she gets the day off tomorrow while we go and see what's to see in DC

Oh man.. I was torn when I mentioned this in Shrewsbury (o; I had a spare pump I was offering you... but you were are the time, underneath fixing the starter. I dont think you heard me and you were somewhat preoccupied Laughing

Neither here nor there. Thing is, I had a noisy pump and replaced it with a new one from BusDepot. The noise didn't go away.

Depending on who you talk to, it's either dirt in the tank or 'modern fuel' that causes cavitation. If your noise doesn't go away there's a Resistor Fix that slows the current to the pump and eliminates the noise/cavitation/wear
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318566&highlight=fuel+pump+noise

IF need be, I can pull this stuff together and mail it to your next stop if you still have the noise. It's dirt cheap. /pauric

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: