Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

from the ashes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: from the ashes Reply with quote

so today this happened.
the wife's favourite vehicle she's ever owned l think.
this was bella, 1990 carat, auto
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this one is called bobbi, 1984 with a factory 5 speed.

with luck in a couple of weekends she'll become an auto, and get bella's old {18 month old} power steering rack, the whole front suspension and brakes, all recently rebuilt

619 201 0310
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

RIP Bella Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

OH NO, Sorry to see this, Mark! Sad

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

Oh crap. Let us know if you need parts/help or whatever.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

Damn, that sucks. Crying or Very sad

Circumstances? Any clues to the cause?

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

Recycling, it works!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

thank you, but no, l got this covered, the donor van is now sat safe, aaiting dismantling, her replacement, well, she's at the top of the hill here, as the city is digging up the street, and l don't want our neighbours more pissed than they need be, so the vanagon fleet is spread about.

Abscate wrote:
Oh crap. Let us know if you need parts/help or whatever.

not sure, the engine is burnt to a crisp, the hottest part seems to have been just behind the AC compressor, if l had to guess l'd say injector seals, l know the fuel lines were good, l look at them regularly, and l only use gates greensheild bio fuel friendly stuff, so the ethanol content of the fuel, shouldn't have been an issue with that at least, the injector seals, l see them perish, and l should have checked them a bit more closely

dhaavers wrote:
Damn, that sucks. Crying or Very sad

Circumstances? Any clues to the cause?

- Dave

619 201 0310
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

Arg, sorry to see this happen, Bella was a beautiful van.
Good luck with the resurrection.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

So sorry. That just sucks! Crying or Very sad

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

I'm so sorry that happened. I had an e30 burn down over a decade ago and I still miss that car. I run a blazecut in my Vanagon for this very reason. It's zip tied to the bottom of my engine cover.

https://gowesty.com/products/blazecut-fire-suppression-system
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
not sure, the engine is burnt to a crisp, the hottest part seems to have been just behind the AC compressor, if l had to guess l'd say injector seals,

since there's intake vacuum on those seals, it seems unlikely gas would flame out even if really cracked. more likely is the injector header gave way. was it an OE plastic one? aftermarket?

i was reminded/reprimanded to face the seal plug end of the OE manifold towards the rear so that they can be inspected for leakage each time the cover is off. i've never felt the OE manifold was a particular weak spot tho there are lots of solutions out there. this may change my mind if yours were OE!!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

Wow, that's terrible. Hopefully & thankfully there wasn't any injuries that was mentioned. Still that had to be a shock for your wife.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

i had a 12' blazecut in there, there's one in lucy also.
a waste of $

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I'm so sorry that happened. I had an e30 burn down over a decade ago and I still miss that car. I run a blazecut in my Vanagon for this very reason. It's zip tied to the bottom of my engine cover.

619 201 0310
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
a waste of $

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Sorry to hear about this and thanks for commenting on having a Blazecut system installed. I was thinking about buying one but wondered how such a small system would be able to extinguish a gasoline fueled fire. I don't think our hand held extinguisher will do much good either unless stopped and we catch it really early.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

there was a 12' blazecut in there, and two other motorists stopped that had fire extinguishers, it still wasn't enough.

Shonandb wrote:
markswagen wrote:
a waste of $

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Sorry to hear about this and thanks for commenting on having a Blazecut system installed. I was thinking about buying one but wondered how such a small system would be able to extinguish a gasoline fueled fire. I don't think our hand held extinguisher will do much good either unless stopped and we catch it really early.

619 201 0310
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

Such a bummer Crying or Very sad .

Saw the additional pics in your gallery. A few questions.
Did the fire department pry out the driver's D pillar, and what happened to the nose over the radiator?

Also, did the Carat still have the original foam engine lid liner? I have a pet theory that the foam contributes to a hotter fire because the stuff is so flammable. I replaced mine with a metal foil backed insulation and taped the seams with metal tape.

Best of luck with the new ride!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Yesterday 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

I really hate this thread, because Mark is such an absolutely awesome guy.

I kinda thought we may start discussing prevention. I hesitated to, "after the fact," but since others have it's probably a good discussion for all readers, so...

We have:
— A Blazecut
— A stock-sized extinguisher
— A stove fire bottle
— Two Element 100s

Honestly? I've been too lax on this horror. Ignorance is Bliss... until it isn't, and it could happen to any of us.

One of my goals, had we been racing as planned, was to work with an onboard fire extinguisher manufacturer, as is standard fare in race cars.

If anyone wants to collaborate on enticing a manufacturer to design a Vanagon-specific system, complete with a cockpit trigger button, let's discuss more seriously. It's easy to post about, but the concept really should be looked into much more seriously.

I know one of the owners of the Element system a little, from racing (he owns a former Greg Moore car, a late comrade of mine), and am enticing him into our thinking more about all this... that system is very interesting in that, to my limited understanding, it deprives the fire of oxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdWZmsRwQ94

After surviving a total-loss barrel rollover off a cliff, two tranny rebuilds on two buses, and an engine swap, all while living in these things, fire just freaks me into absolute, ignorant submission. I can barely even think of it.

So Sorry Mark, despite your great recovery stance. Cool

— Colin Chapman
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

they made the mess, the radiator was only a couple of years old, they cut the rear of the van, the flames coming out the vents led them down there.
l have no idea why they went in the front, but they destroyed the radiator while they were there Sad
MsTaboo wrote:
Such a bummer Crying or Very sad .

Saw the additional pics in your gallery. A few questions.
Did the fire department pry out the driver's D pillar, and what happened to the nose over the radiator?

Also, did the Carat still have the original foam engine lid liner? I have a pet theory that the foam contributes to a hotter fire because the stuff is so flammable. I replaced mine with a metal foil backed insulation and taped the seams with metal tape.

Best of luck with the new ride!

619 201 0310
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

Eric, l honestly don't think anything you have on board with you currently would do any good, those elements may, but if you have anything over the top of the engine compartment, the time it would take to get that stuff out of the way, would give the fire long enough to take a proper hold, then there's the noticing the fire in the first place, my wife didn't notice, she was in traffic, a car behind her saw the flames coming out, she had no idea.
l've looked at those race car systems in the past, maybe a 5lb bottle would do it, a 10lb l would hope would, but where do you put them.
l think prevention is better.
someone posted up there, that likely it would have been the plastic manifolds that the injectors plug into, thinking about that, l agree, so l have just ordered two pairs of the aluminum ones from RMW, one for the engine in her new van, and one for burni, ALL the stock plastic manifolds, will be going in the trash next time l go out to my garage, l likely have more than a dozen pairs.

E1 wrote:
I really hate this thread, because Mark is such an absolutely awesome guy.

I kinda thought we may start discussing prevention. I hesitated to, "after the fact," but since others have it's probably a good discussion for all readers, so...

We have:
— A Blazecut
— A stock-sized extinguisher
— A stove fire bottle
— Two Element 100s

Honestly? I've been too lax on this horror. Ignorance is Bliss... until it isn't, and it could happen to any of us.

One of my goals, had we been racing as planned, was to work with an onboard fire extinguisher manufacturer, as is standard fare in race cars.

If anyone wants to collaborate on enticing a manufacturer to design a Vanagon-specific system, complete with a cockpit trigger button, let's discuss more seriously. It's easy to post about, but the concept really should be looked into much more seriously.

I know one of the owners of the Element system a little, from racing (he owns a former Greg Moore car, a late comrade of mine), and am enticing him into our thinking more about all this... that system is very interesting in that, to my limited understanding, it deprives the fire of oxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdWZmsRwQ94

After surviving a total-loss barrel rollover off a cliff, two tranny rebuilds on two buses, and an engine swap, all while living in these things, fire just freaks me into absolute, ignorant submission. I can barely even think of it.

So Sorry Mark, despite your great recovery stance. Cool

619 201 0310
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: from the ashes Reply with quote

Here's looking forward to bobbi's build!

I once attempted to use Westy sized fire extinguisher (1-A:10-B:C - see below for what that means) to put out a VW Rabbit that was on the side of the road and on fire. The owner of the car retreated 30' away so I didn't bother getting close to open the hood so effectiveness was minimized. The fire extinguisher slowed the fire briefly but it resumed after the extinguisher was empty. Since then I doubled the size of the fire extinguisher in the van but I doubt even that will put out a gas fire if you can't remove the engine cover and get the extinguisher directly at the fire.

Fire fighters show up in fire resistant gear. Many of us will be wearing flip-flops, shorts and synthetic shirts. Not stuff to wear when opening the hatch, removing the engine lid and activating a fire extinguisher. Even pointing the extinguisher in the license plate won't be ideal.

https://www.guardianfireprotection.com/blog/numbers-fire-extinguisher/
Quote:
Fire Extinguisher Size Ratings

You might come across a fire extinguisher labeled 4A:20B:C. The numbers indicate the size rating of each extinguishing agent. Here’s how it works:

The Class A size rating represents the water equivalency. Each number represents 1 Ό gallons of water. For instance, 2A means the extinguisher is just as effective as 2 ½ gallons of water. 4A is equivalent to 5 gallons of water.
The Class B size rating indicates the square footage the extinguisher can cover. 20B means that as long as you sweep the nozzle side to side, there is enough extinguishing agent inside the canister to provide 20 square feet of coverage.
There is no size rating for Class C. After all, a Class C electrical fire is nothing more than a Class A or Class B fire with energized components requiring a non-conductive extinguishing medium. To effectively fight Class C fires, choose your extinguishers based on the Class A and Class B size ratings.
There is also no size rating for Class D fires. The effectiveness is detailed on the nameplate based on the specific combustible metal for which the extinguisher is recommended.

The Rabbit kept burning after the fire extinguisher was empty, but also not well aimed.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: