Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW 15” Steel Wheels
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:28 am    Post subject: GW 15” Steel Wheels Reply with quote

Has anyone installed the GW 15” steel wheels? What’s your experience with them?
Currently running 16” GW euros with BFG AT Baja (super aggressive) installed by PO on an 87 syncro Westy, Subaru 2.5 (07 Impreza). Wanting something that’s a bit smoother on the road. Looking to keep the wheel diameter relatively the same as 16” with 215/75 15 wild peak at3 (have WP at3 on a taco, and like them). 70% highway, 30% gravel and backroads.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 15” Steel Wheels Reply with quote

dmaynes wrote:
Wanting something that’s a bit smoother on the road.
Thanks

I swapped 16" euro wheels with 15" GW steel wheels and they work just fine. I went from Nokian WRC3 215/65 16 to BFK KO2 215/75 15 tires. The BFGs may be slightly noisier and the taller sidewalls may flex a bit more but nothing that concerns me. I wouldn't say the taller sidewalls make it a lot smoother if at all (I run roughly the same tire pressure).

I guess I primarily did this to see a bit more sidewall, get away from the cast wheels and try the KO2 tires. I wouldn't say the change was anything ground breaking (although the heavily siped Nokians seem a bit better in snow).

One thing I've noticed is that more people ask me if the van is a Syncro or 4WD and when I tell them no they look at me like I'm a poseur. Laughing

Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 15” Steel Wheels Reply with quote

Kind of off topic, kind of not. I run 15" steel MEFRO's (older wheel from Van-cafe) with the Falken WildPeak AT3-W and love them. Never let me me down. I was running 16" wheels with nokian WRC, then went to 15" with BFG TAKO2. For me the Falken Wild Peak is quieter then the BFG, also way better performance in the snow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 15” Steel Wheels Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.
Sounds like the GW steels are decent. I do like the look of them. Simple.
And the wild peaks have great manners. Time to drop some cash I guess!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: