Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Classifieds Ad Format test
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: New Classifieds Ad Format test Reply with quote

Update - Feb. 17, 2011
Some changes were made to the default look of the classifieds - larger main photos as well as some new features.
See this post for details

Original post below

I'm testing out some classified ad detail changes, please give me your feedback.

The primary change is, if an ad has more than one photo, the additional thumbnail photos give you a pop-up window where you can scroll through all the full-size images.

Also the main ad photo is now the larger, full size 640x480 pixel size photo
(Assuming the seller originally used a 640x480 or larger image)

Old Ad Format:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click "Switch to New Ad Format" in the upper right of the ad to try out the new format. You can change back to the original format too, of course.

New Ad Format:

Main image is larger, clicking on a thumbnail on the right side gives you the following pop-up window:

Hover over the left and right sides to scroll to the PREVious and NEXT images for the ad.
Click Close in the upper-right of the pop-up or click anywhere on the background to return to the ad.
Note: In the photo above, the PREVious and NEXT tags do not appear unless you hover over the left or right side. They also do not appear if there is not PREVious or NEXT image available.

Questions:
1. Does the larger main photo cause you to have to scroll down too much to start seeing the ad text? Is this a concern?
2. Does the popup and popup image scroll NOT work in your web browser and/or smart phone? If so, please tell me what web browser and/or phone is not functional.

Full list of changes:
    * Larger main image for ad
    * Thumbnails now pop-up to browse the larger ad images
    * If an ad only has one photo, the single large photo is shown with no other photo viewing options

Thank you.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much, much better! The improved picture size and the scrolling feature makes it easier to peruse an ad.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diggin' it...

thank you for the update, Ev....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way better. Thanks
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thumbnails up! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear change, but I like this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you planning on keeping the "old" version as well?
while this new style may be appealing to some people, i have never been a fan of the "pop up black screen" photo viewing.
i do like the larger images in the main ad page though.
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, don't you achieve a similar result in sizing and conveniance though if you click the existing "Show all photos full size" ?

Photos are enlarged to same size as new format and in my opinion, it's easier and faster to scroll past specific images I may not want to view.

I prefer using the option of clicking "Show all photos full size" with the ad text still present at bottom. I also like the basic format where clicking a particular thumbnail opens a new individual blank page with solid white background and in some ads or computers,even enlarge image once thumbnail is opened in a new page.

If new format had capability of enlarging select photos in new box above the 640x480 or his res, that would be cool but I also know that depends on person uploading image. You are correct in that new format does not work for all ads where poster uploaded small images. I notice lots of forum post images are huge res/size but ad photos are limited in size.

New format is a nice site upgrade if left as an option but I wouldnt want it to become the new standard or only method of ad viewing. Just my opinion and feedback FWIW.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
are you planning on keeping the "old" version as well?
while this new style may be appealing to some people, i have never been a fan of the "pop up black screen" photo viewing.
i do like the larger images in the main ad page though.

Ok, thank you.

There is no immediate plan to eliminate the "Old" version but, if based on feedback, something comes about that is clearly better, that could happen in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiko wrote:
Just curious, don't you achieve a similar result in sizing and conveniance though if you click the existing "Show all photos full size" ?

Photos are enlarged to same size as new format and in my opinion, it's easier and faster to scroll past specific images I may not want to view.

Yes, and that will not be eliminated.

Aiko wrote:
I prefer using the option of clicking "Show all photos full size" with the ad text still present at bottom. I also like the basic format where clicking a particular thumbnail opens a new individual blank page with solid white background and in some ads or computers,even enlarge image once thumbnail is opened in a new page.

Ok, so you liked the individual "Full Size" links, which were eliminated in the new version where the thumbnails are listed.

Also note that if a user enters text for the individual images, that does appear in the pop-up window. It is at the top, above the photo.

Aiko wrote:
If new format had capability of enlarging select photos in new box above the 640x480 or his res, that would be cool but I also know that depends on person uploading image. You are correct in that new format does not work for all ads where poster uploaded small images. I notice lots of forum post images are huge res/size but ad photos are limited in size.

To clarify, it works, but yes, it doesn't mean you will see the maximum possible size images of 640x480, you are limited by whatever size people used. Most people do use original images of 640x480 or larger though.

I have considered altering the maximum size that could be shown in the ads, that size would most likely be shown only when clicking on "Show All Photos Full Size" or the "Full Size" links (if they were present)

Thanks for the feedback.

If anything I said needs clarification or brings up other questions or suggestions, please post again.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new format.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: not bad, but prefer old style Reply with quote

Everett,

i generally don't mind the light box style stuff, but no benefit to me. I am a Opera Browser user, and i can simply view all pictures in full size in any gallery using the fast forward (space) feature in the browser. Old and new work the same in Opera.
If you could make it work like that for all the poor IE users, then no changes would be needed at all.

If you have never played with Opera, check it out, it is available for ALL platforms including mobile devices. I myself use it on Linux and Windows.

ideally i would like to see a hover that pops out the larger image

great job on the site

regards

Uli
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I may check out Opera to see that feature.

I find the hover pop-ups annoying so I probably will not do that.
Plus my understanding of the way those work will hurt low bandwidth visitors.
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Bob is your uncle. I like it on my end. Thanks. And to all those people on the secret sub forum that say all you do is drink Dom Pérignon in the dark naked. Well they're just not totally right!!!

The only thing I would change is to put it in a loop. If you come to the end of the 8of8 it should continue from the beginning 1of8. In a loop. Sometimes people ie: myself start looking at the picture that interests me first and then continue through the list but get stopped after I see 2 pictures.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the new format, and since i do post ad's all the time its nice to have the larger pics, great job
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the new design has the "show all fullsize" button, I'm happy with it. I don't really care for the black-border popup but I probably won't use it, as I hit the fullsize button when there are several photos anyway.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
As long as the new design has the "show all fullsize" button, I'm happy with it. I don't really care for the black-border popup but I probably won't use it, as I hit the fullsize button when there are several photos anyway.

I agree 100% with this. I always hit "show all full size" when looking at ads, and the black border pop ups annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it generally sounds like the pop-up window is a bust.

But it does sounds like people like the larger main image in the ads so that is a win.

I will make some more changes to fit in with what people liked or did not like but I am going to wait a while to see what other feedback comes in.

In general it sounds like people always use the "Show All Full Size" link frequently. I do that myself.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
I fear change, but I like this one.

I like this!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to execute the large format when clicking on the large display picture. Currently you have to click on the smaller pics beside the display pic.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: