Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the steady depletion of vans
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: the steady depletion of vans Reply with quote

About every week I look on a couple sites, one of them here:

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?criteriaT...te=vanagon

and there's always a bunch of burnt or otherwise about to be trashed vans.

8 of them right now, if you include that nice looking '66. THAT one won't be trashed.

Went up to my local junk yard since I just got creamed and there's 4 up there, 2 of them full campers, 1 being a ZZZ plate panel camper.

Now I know they made a lot of these, but geez....
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all of those vans go to waste. I picked up my '84 van that I use for work at the North Hollywood auction. $200ish in wires and hoses and it runs like a champ. It is a shame to see some of them with so little damage go to the scrap yard though.

Hans
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the photos of that burned passenger van. Can anyone ID the engine conversion in that? It's some kind of a DOHC inline 4, but I'm not sure which one.

I'm surprised I didn't hear about that one burning up since it's a Seattle area van. I remember seeing that van in a parking lot not too long ago. I checked it out because I wanted to see what size tires they were running on those Porsche 6.5" wide D90s.

At any rate it looks like wasserboxer fuel lines weren't the culprit on this burn out.

Sad.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be different if we could be sure they weren't going to get crushed as soon as possible, you used to be able to count on a car hanging around in a yard for a few years... Not anymore. Pull the big-dollar items and get it to the crusher for the scrap value tomorrow. That's how they roll around here, anyway. Evil or Very Mad There will be very few "rescues" available in the future when they begin to command splittie money. Wink

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
I checked out the photos of that burned passenger van. Can anyone ID the engine conversion in that? It's some kind of a DOHC inline 4, but I'm not sure which one.

Bostig

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
D Clymer wrote:

Bostig

Yep: That 4 into one "ram's horn" exhaust manifold is the giveaway. Sad that a Bostig conversion did not help fireproof this vehicle. I hope it didn't start as an engine-area fire.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: the steady depletion of vans Reply with quote

levi wrote:
About every week I look on a couple sites, one of them here:

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?criteriaT...te=vanagon

and there's always a bunch of burnt or otherwise about to be trashed vans.

8 of them right now, if you include that nice looking '66. THAT one won't be trashed.

Went up to my local junk yard since I just got creamed and there's 4 up there, 2 of them full campers, 1 being a ZZZ plate panel camper.

Now I know they made a lot of these, but geez....

That 83 westy is mint Shocked ,I'd buy that Crying or Very sad
The blue and white split has been quickly painted to look good.....surprises ,surprises Twisted Evil
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the dents in the rear hatch and the sides, I'd say it was in a gentle roll or a multi car crash. Either way, I hope no one was badly injured.

Hans
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of my 'missionary' work when people stop to talk to me (many many do) about my VW Van is to let them know that these are viable vehicles and that there is a very big movement in North America to save the species. It's like you see a light go on in their eyes, that this is quite possible for them to do and that they cost from very little to more expensive and to watch out for rust. I'm very enthusiastic, sort of like a cheerleader because i really believe in them. This occurs pretty well daily or 4 to 6 days a week. I can't look at pics that show they are going to be crushed. They are really turned on by the camper and pop top and the very real possibility that they could do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: