Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat in fall, A/C in spring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Heat in fall, A/C in spring Reply with quote

Funny to see the cycle of posts.

Query for the crowd, need a second opinion.

Was messing around with van last week. Finally attached new heater hoses to front heater assy and got nothing but cool air. I was down a couple quarts as far as capacity, and was wondering WTF? Rear heater cranks and is blowing hot.

Checked around the valve to make sure it was opening when it was supposed to, and it seems fine.

Controls seem to be working fine, although I realized PO has faceplate velcroed on.

Felt the hoses underneath, and did not get a great reading as the fan kicking on was warming them.

Went inside, felt up the two hoses leading into the core and had one warm, one cool. Am now thinking core is blocked and in need of replacement. But needed to ask a stupid question, these cores dont get vapor/airblocked do they? Its a direct feed from motor, and rear core is getting fluid so must be a clogged core right?

Van was refilled on steep incline, on ramps so I am sure system is bled of the majority of air. Actually have a great new trough in my yard due to 1WD getting bogged in wet grass on the incline. Embarassed
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure there's not a cut off valve inline before the heater.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No additional valves to turn off prior to core. I had thought of installing g one, so I was aware of the lines as I was playing around. Think the fecker is clogged. PO had lines plugged off with dry erase markers. Maybe a clue to its prior history.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are concerned that the heater core may be plugged, you can check for this by detaching the hoses and blowing through them (mind you don't sip the coolant!)

If there seems to be a blockage, you can isolate the heater core in place by detaching the hoses, drain the coolant, and fill the heater core in place with a product called CLR.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqvDD_L7Y_M

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

It helps a bit if you heat the CLR in that it works faster. Do not use Drano or any such drain cleaner as they are tool harsh. Repeat the CLR treatment if the first time does not clear it. If all else fails, you are removing the dash and the heater/vent box and replacing the core.

This CLR treatment usually works, but no promises.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: