Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sudden loss of oil pressure - Ideas?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachbuggy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Sudden loss of oil pressure - Ideas? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Took my new engine out for a run and all was going well for about 10 minutes, when it suddenly lost oil pressure!

Bit of background:

Oil level on the dipstick is A-OK
No blown lines. Not even a drip of oil externally visible anywhere. Even the rocker covers are dry!!
Have oil pressure gauge and oil light. Both the light came on and the oil pressure gauge showed a drop to zero so I'm figuring the pressure switch and the gauge sensor are confirming that each other is working.

Engine is a brand newly built 2332cc. Had some problems getting oil pressure when I first cranked her over. Figured maybe I'd put something together wrong with the oil pump. Took the cover off, turned the engine by hand, and the gears were moving fine (new oil pump). Checked the pick up extension was on ok (I've got a small pot extension under the sump) and all ok. Made sure external filter and lines were full of oil. Put it all back together and eventually got oil pressure. Has been fine since. Ran the engine at 2500rpm to bed the cam in, changed the oil and filter - all good and pressure again as soon as I fired it.

I'm at a loss to think what has happened. Before I pull the oil pump apart again to see if maybe the pump drive has sheared off, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any ideas...
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you have checked the pickup extension again?
beachbuggy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't checked it again today, but I also figure that if it's reading full (well, slightly above) on the dipstick, there should be enough oil in there to pick up even if the extension had come off and it was only picking up from the standard pick up.

You think differently? Should that be the first thing I check again?
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the actual pickup comes loose from the case, which you would tend to notice when checking the extension. If you have a mini sump I wouldn't expect no oil pressure at all without the extension.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you pull the OP switch, and turn it over, do you see oil coming out there?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have an earlier oil pump in an engine with a dished camshaft, do you? The oil pump gear is longer for the dished-cam engines.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
beachbuggy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quokka, that's what I figured too. The wierd thing is that it just dropped suddenly to zero, I'd expect some pressure too. Even If it had dropped a bearing suddnely there would be something there...

Good thought Drew, I'll try that before I start pulling things apart.

Cusser, I don't think I have an earlier pump.... If I did have an earlier one with a dished camshaft, then wouldn't it have always had no pressure? Or would this combo mean that sometimes the pump drive would engage and sometimes not...?
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to check on is your oil control plungers, if one gets jammed down you could be venting straight back to sump

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
beachbuggy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, progress so far.

Checked plungers and they're all freely moving.

The engine has a full flow set-up. I pulled the cover off the oil pump and the gears are turning ok so given that it's a brand new pump and was working fine, I'm thinking that the pump should be ok. The gears look ok.

The outlet on the front of the pump goes to a remote filter so I took the hose off the filter and cranked the engine and nothing comes out of the hose.

My thinking is that the pick-up pipe has come away inside the case. Since it suddenly lost pressure I'm thinking something broke and that's the only thing I can think of.

Any other ideas before I remove the engine and split the case to have a look??

Thanks in advance...
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop the sump plate, you can then grab the end of the pickup tube and give it a wiggle. If it's out of the case you'll know. It would be hard for it to fall out with the end secured under the sump stud, but I see that nut missing a lot.
You mentioned that the pump gears turn fine. In fact, they should not turn without the engine as one is keyed into the camshaft. Did you pull the gears, and was the flat drive intact? I've not experienced it, but have seen pictures of the drive broken off.
beachbuggy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks esde I'll check the end of the pick up tube.

When I say the gears turned fine, it was when I turned the engine over by hand. I checked the end of the pump drive that goes into the cam slot and it is in perfect condition. You can see a slight mark on it where it has been engaging the cam so I'm confident the cam is turning it properly.

I've never experienced the pick-up tube coming out of the case but it's the only explanation I can think of...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: