Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15'' tire options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Some of the LTX sizes are real LT and others are not.

An LT 100 is rated stronger than an SL 100.
That 215/75/15 is an SL tire.

Years ago they sold that size of LTX in BOTH LT and SL and both were 100. The LT version had more plies and higher max pressure.

Mark

nmerrill wrote:
My turn to search for new ones...
Sticking with the 215/75 15 size I've had...

A few observations:
The Michelin Defender LTX MS in 215/75r15 is not LT rated, but has a load rating of 100 or 1764 lbs.
The text reads:
"The Defender LTX M/S is Michelin's Highway All-Season light truck tire developed to combine long tread life with all-season capabilities for vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles, as well as for commercial vans, shuttles and chassis cab vehicles using heavy-duty, light-truck sizes"

emphasis mine. Interesting text for a tire not rated LT!
Going to have to call Michelin and ask them WTF.

Yokohama has the geolander in an LT215 /75 R15 100S that I don't see much talk about here. Looks interesting.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I just put these on my syncro westfalia SVX. Sidewall 8 ply D rated.
LT215/75R-15 Kumho Road Venture AT51 D

I like the specs.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

oops - nevermind - winter tire...

Anyone try the Nokian WR C3 in 225/70/15 on a syncro?
From what I can find, the diameter is 27.4
Thinking 225 might cause problems though.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
oops - nevermind - winter tire...

Anyone try the Nokian WR C3 in 225/70/15 on a syncro?
From what I can find, the diameter is 27.4
Thinking 225 might cause problems though.

225 could cause problems, depending on the width and offset of your wheels. I have 225/70/15's on my Syncro and they fit. My wheels are 15x7 ET23 though, so they sit out a bit further than the stock ET30. The slider door actually touches the right rear tire but opens fine (no driving with the door open!)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
I decided to go with the Geolandars in LT215/75/15.
Really didn't want AT tires, but not many options...
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
Thanks for that.
I decided to go with the Geolandars in LT215/75/15.
Really didn't want AT tires, but not many options...

I think you'll be happy with the Geo's. They're a great all-around tire.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I just wanted to chime in here on my new Continental Vanco 4 Season tires in 195/70/15. I had these installed halfway through a trip from Texas to Colorado and back. They replaced some Nokian Entyres that kept separating.

I really like these Continentals and hope they work out better than the Nokians. I’ll report back in a few months.

Also, kudos to Discount Tire on Federal in Denver. Those guys did everything right—correct torque, did not try to use their lift (they used carefully placed jacks), and correct tire pressure. They had the tires exchanged in less than 45 minutes.

Kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Anyone actually tried these?
Cooper Discoverer HT3 (LT) 205/65R15 102/100T, 1875lbs, 55psi, 813 revs per mile, 25.51" tall. I think this is a fairly new size for this tire. They are available online for $117 to $130 shipped.
They are a commercial light truck "highway" tire but look OK for the moderate off-roading we do - a few sketchy FS roads but nothing really severe. They appear to be very similar to the Continental Vanco 4's. I have some Cooper Discoverer A/T's on my CJ7 and really like them and Cooper tires in general.

BUT - The manufacturer's approved rim widths for the HT3's are 5.5 - 6.5" and the SA Steel wheels are 7". Not an issue with the Vanco's (5.5 - 7.5). I'm not sure why Cooper limits the rim width to 6.5" when 205's generally seem to be fine for 7" rims. It doesn't seem like there should be a problem, but I suppose manufacturers set approved ranges for a reason.

My 14" BFG's (195/75R14) on stock steel wheels are finally wearing out (~40K miles) mostly from an alignment issue, so I think it's time to move on to a 15" wheels and tires. I was planning on getting the 15" SA steel wheels. It's an 83.5 2WD full camper with a GW 2.2L WBX upgrade. Stock everything else.

A consideration with the Mefro (or other) 15x6 wheels is the continuing trend of fewer tire options as time goes on. Not really interested in 16" wheels or alloys. The search goes on.

BTW - anyone know if the stock chrome dog dish hubcaps fit the SA 15's?
<edit:> per Van Cafe/RMW the answer is "No."

<edit #2:> Went ahead with 15" SA Steels from Van Cafe/RMW and 215/75R15 BFG A/T KO2's from Tire Rack ($100 mail-in rebate was the clincher). I don't think I'll be disappointed. But, if these are too much beef for the WBX, maybe I'll try the Cooper HT3's next.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown

Last edited by B.O.B.Wanders on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I just wanted to chime in here on my new Continental Vanco 4 Season tires in 195/70/15. I had these installed halfway through a trip from Texas to Colorado and back. They replaced some Nokian Entyres that kept separating.

I really like these Continentals and hope they work out better than the Nokians. I’ll report back in a few months.

Also, kudos to Discount Tire on Federal in Denver. Those guys did everything right—correct torque, did not try to use their lift (they used carefully placed jacks), and correct tire pressure. They had the tires exchanged in less than 45 minutes.

Kourt
I lift my Vanagon at work all the time... 2 post lift, what was the issue with their lift that worried you... just wondering?... Confused Confused
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Howdy,

I don't have any problem with lifts. I was commenting more on the attention and extra time Discount Tire took to use jacks. They gave me some reason for not using their lift--it was their choice--and the way they used the jacks was proper. I would have actually preferred they use a lift, as long as the supports are carefully placed.

I've been to a few tire shops where they tried to jack the entire rear end by placing one jack under the transaxle. I had seen them lift pickup truck rears on the differential this way. What a terrible practice. I saw the worker sliding one jack right under the van near the transaxle and caught the guy before he got too far into it. Ever since then I'm very careful about how the van is lifted. Needless to say I don't go to that tire shop anymore.

kourt
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
Anyone actually tried these?
Cooper Discoverer HT3 (LT) 205/65R15 102/100T, 1875lbs, 55psi, 813 revs per mile, 25.51" tall. I think this is a fairly new size for this tire. They are available online for $117 to $130 shipped.

I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3's in 225/70/15. I had them siped too. They've been great tires so far, durable and grippy on trails in Moab, comfy and quiet on the road, good in snow and ice. (Not exactly what you were looking for, but I'm simply vouching for the brand.)

And, they were manufactured in Texarkana, not far from the glistening metropolis of Shreveport from whence I sprung.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I need new tires for next year on the '87 Westy. I am likely to be in Baja sometime and at Syncro Solstice... want to be able to air down and have durability. My current Nokian WRG3's 205/70/15 do not give me the warm fuzzies in that condition.

Looking at BFG KO2's in 215/75/15 on my Rhein rims.

Anyone not happy with theirs? I have only heard good reviews.

.... and I just pulled the trigger and ordered them....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I need new tires for next year on the '87 Westy. I am likely to be in Baja sometime and at Syncro Solstice... want to be able to air down and have durability. Anyone not happy with theirs? I have only heard good reviews.

Dave, I am on my second set since they came out with the new K02 style. Just before leaving for Newfoundland I put on a new set. The others were only down 50% and that is with over 36k miles on them. (I rotate 6 tires).

They never did chunk like the old BFG K02's did. And they have worn evenly with no cupping like before.

Right now I threw on a set of KM3's 235/70/16. These are a great tire if you want them really aggressive. These are rated to hold more load weight. But they are much noisier down the road.

You cannot go wrong with a set of the K02's. Very Happy
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Thanks for a good report on the new BFG KO2's Syncro Jael. I've been agonizing over ordering these for some time due to the price. But then I look at the 8 year old BFG's on my rig right now and realize how perfect they are for our rigs. Stout, heavy sidewall, great mix of aggressive look and highway noise level one can live with. And mine have run forever, (too long!).

Your review (and others) convince me that the newer version seems to have improved the few shortcomings I found with my old version. You get what you pay for in this case. I'll be going from 215/70/16 BFG t/a's on CLK's to 215/75/15 KO2's on Mefros and look forward to the upgrade. Cheers, Joel
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Howdy,

I don't have any problem with lifts. I was commenting more on the attention and extra time Discount Tire took to use jacks. They gave me some reason for not using their lift--it was their choice--and the way they used the jacks was proper. I would have actually preferred they use a lift, as long as the supports are carefully placed.

I've been to a few tire shops where they tried to jack the entire rear end by placing one jack under the transaxle. I had seen them lift pickup truck rears on the differential this way. What a terrible practice. I saw the worker sliding one jack right under the van near the transaxle and caught the guy before he got too far into it. Ever since then I'm very careful about how the van is lifted. Needless to say I don't go to that tire shop anymore.

kourt
. Ah, yes, THAT would be bad of a lifting point. Razz Razz Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
..I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3's in 225/70/15. I had them siped too. They've been great tires so far, durable and grippy on trails in Moab, comfy and quiet on the road, good in snow and ice...

Hey Joe, can you get a pic of the sipes? That must be a Colorado thing because I've never heard of anyone doing that here - only stud installation. Sipes would make any tire grippy and remove a little weight, too.

I like BFG's All Terrains as well. I also like General Grabber AT2 tires. They make odd sizes vs BFG's more standard sizes. When I determined the size I wanted, I looked at all the name brand all-terrain tires & I selected the lightest ones.

Once my current Generals wear out, I will be getting a set of these tires. They are the lightest 31 x 10.5 x 15 all-terrain tires, in some cases more than 10 lbs lighter.

https://www.dickcepek.com/tires/extreme-country/
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

BFG KO2's on a 2WD Westy.

I installed the 15" SA steel wheels with 215/75R15 BFG KO2's and they fit, but there were some things to think about.
I have a fairly stock 83.5 2WD and was running the 14" stock steel wheels with 195/75R14 BFG KO's (NLA). I have just about 16" hub-center to fender height all the way around (15 7/8" on front right) which is probably about normal for an '83.
Before I made the jump, I measured the sidewall to upper control arm clearance and it was ~10mm. The OEM steelies have a 39mm offset (or so I've read) and the new SA wheels have 30mm (-9mm difference), I added 20mm in tire width (+10mm per side) so with the assumption that the section width to tread width would be proportionally about the same as the old BFG's my net was about 1mm less clearance, but still plenty . I wasn't too worried about the height (27.7 vs. 25.5). As it turned out I now have just at 8mm clearance from sidewall to upper control arm.
The big issue for me was the spindle to rim clearance. It looked like plenty, but it is tight enough that lead wheel weights will scrub the spindle, so you will need to have them use the stick-on weights for balancing.
The other thing was with the T3 heavy duty anti-sway bar. When I installed it a few weeks ago, there was just enough clearance between the end of the bar and the springs (a few mm). With the new wheels and rims it was just touching, so I had to grind off a bit to get some space.
The ride is smoother and more stable, but I can tell the difference with the larger C-rated tire and my old D-rated tires (inflated to rock-hardness). There is a noticeable penalty in acceleration and uphill climbing power as expected, but it is manageable even with the 2.2L GW rebuilt WBX. So far no rubbing or other issues. I drove 500+ miles in pouring rain on both interstate and two-lane highways and felt really secure with the new tires. Definitely more stable on the highway.

Things I like:
Stability
Tire options (although still somewhat limited in 15")
Smoother ride

Things I don't like:
I can't use my OEM chrome hub caps with the new rims Sad
Loss of power
The new BFG's are a little gnarlier looking than I really like.
I get a little more leaning in corners than before but still better than before I got the T3 anti-sway bar. (if you're sitting on the fence, just do it. You won't be disappointed) I went up to 39 psi front/45 psi rear and it seems a little better.

Bottom line, if BF Goodrich still made the BFG in 14" I would have been happy to stay with my previous set-up, but such is not the case. I'm very happy with the KO2's so far. Can't wait to test them out in the woods.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

BusDepot sale on 15" Nokian's

https://www.busdepot.com/e2057015

and upon further review, I see they are even cheaper on other websites -

https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Tires/det...gJIbPD_BwE
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time finding the perfect tire. I've been shredding the Nokian WRG3's I bought 2 years ago. 5 flats that time running proper pressure. All of the flats were on gravel roads, which I drive a lot. I live in Moab. I also spend a fair bit of time on highways driving to fun destinations in the west and Mexico. I am looking for something that splits the difference nicely, isn't too huge, or cut my power too much, and most of all is VERY reliable. Oh yeah, I would like for them to fit in the spare tire spot, which I have modified by lowering the hinges 2 cm and using the vancafe oversize spare holder (it fits a 215/70 r15) I have a 2" lift on a 2wd full camper with a 2.2 wbx and RMW tuned exhaust. I have a bit of a lead foot on the highway and am an experienced and careful driver offroad.

What I've narrowed my selection to are the Conty Vanco 4season 195/70 R15, the BFG at2 215/75 R15 and the Kumho roadventure at51 215/75 r15. I like the weight of the Conty and that they are D rated. not sure of offroad prowess but feel like they should hold up well. the Kumhos are also D rated but heavy and maybe just a little bit big? Same with the BFG's but 'only' c rated.

any help with this decision would be greatly appreciated! Oh, yeah, I mostly travel with my 6 and 9 year old daughters and safety it a priority! Price a consideration but not a huge deal. I will be buying 5 tires.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

In the 15" sizes that could fit in the spare tire spot, these are rated about as strong as any I've seen. Thinking about trying them in the 205, anyone done so?

https://simpletire.com/achilles-195-70r15c-mal197015-tires

https://simpletire.com/achilles-205-70r15c-mal207015-tires

https://simpletire.com/achilles-215-70r15c-mal217015-tires

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: