Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15'' tire options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibskot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which nokians are everybody so happy with?
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Anyone have any personal experience how would these Nokians (WC, CS) compare to BF Goodrich in sand, mud, dirt - i.e.- off road?

BFG's, the long-standing tire's of preference in days of yore pre-nokians, are good on dry dirt and deeper snow. They are average on wet/dry pavement, mud and sand and poor on ice. In my experience nokians are above average on all surfaces except average in mud and sand too. There are other tires out there that excel on one or two types of surface but none I know of that provide a compromise for all like nokians.

vanagonjr wrote:
I believe the 15" BF Goodrich AT's would affect the gearing too much on my van.

It won't affect your gearing for road travel as long as the width is between 185-215 inclusive and the sidewalls are somewhat close to the overall diameter of the stock 14" wheel and tire.

My rigs (syncros) currently wear the following:

Westy: Nokian 205/65R15 C
Sunroof Van: Nokian 205/65R16 C
Sinka: BFG 205/70R14 LT T/A
Doka: Dunlop 205/70R14 LT (no longer made)

I also have two sets of BFG 215/75R15 T/A's which I sometimes use for road and frequently off-roading. In winter I'm up in the mountains with the nokians - don't leave home for that without them.

I personally prefer nothing taller and wider or narrower. I haven't had to change gears for any of them although three have subies and one is stock 2.1L.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibskot wrote:
which nokians are everybody so happy with?

It's been a while since I bought any but I believe:

14" (if still made) is C (or CS ?)
15" is WR
16" is C (or CS ?)

Someone correct if I'm wrong.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
I've said this far too often in other tire threads but ... nokians are designed and manufactured by Finns for Finns who have to drive in three season crappy weather in Finland. Those people have been living there for thousands of years and have this thing nailed down. I can't think of a stronger endorsement.

It's the proverbial saying, when in the Sahara watch what the Bedouins do, when in Polynesia watch what the Polynesians do, when driving in crappy weather watch what the Finns do.

Bob, you got it right!

Bwaaaa haa haa! I lived for 2 years in Helsinki, SO true about crap driving weather! (FWIW, Finns are also world class rally car drivers.)

On Peter's (Van Cafe owner) recco, I have Nokian 205-70R15 WRC and could no be happier. Do NOT go cheap on tires.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:

Do NOT go cheap on tires.

-CJ

Yeah, Craig! You can cheap out on your engine conversion, but tires, man, go with the best available and save your own life, maybe those of others around you on the road, we'd like to hang out with you more. (You know I like to razz ya on the engine) Wink

I never drive in snow without the proper feet on my van. The difference is night and day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Nokians Van Cafe's price was right in there with all the big online store's prices. Drop shipped at the shop I use and shared the cookies.
Pay the price get some Nokians. You can not believe how good tires will make your van perform across all conditions. The one of the safest parts I have bought for my van.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point guys. I like the idea of the nokian. It's just hard to swing $750 in tires/wheel mods to put into a $350 van. But I guess I can use them on future vans as well. Furthermore, automatic vans are unlikely to be great in the snow and every little bit will help.

And as per Karl's pleading request that I invest well in quality tires, I think this is just so he can keep me around for future beers! : )

So what's the preference between the 65 and 70 aspect ratio?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:
Good point guys. I like the idea of the nokian. It's just hard to swing $750 in tires/wheel mods to put into a $350 van. But I guess I can use them on future vans as well. Furthermore, automatic vans are unlikely to be great in the snow and every little bit will help.

And as per Karl's pleading request that I invest well in quality tires, I think this is just so he can keep me around for future beers! : )

So what's the preference between the 65 and 70 aspect ratio?

Hey, not just beer, but Syncro play! Tire Rack has Contis for comparison, XL-rated and would be fine for this use:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=C...;tab=Sizes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's half the cost of the nokians! Are those properly rated? Does anyone have experience with these?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:
That's half the cost of the nokians! Are those properly rated? Does anyone have experience with these?

XL = extra load, 1521 lbs for this size @ 51 psi. The specs also state they will work with your 7"-wide wheels.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:
Does anyone have experience with these?

I doubt it ... only Karl spots stuff like this Wink

It's a hybrid for snow and dry with emphasis on bad weather. Load specs are marginal like with BFG's but they should be fine. I couldn't find any surface or sidewall strength specs.

But Karl is or was a Bridgestone man ... what's available from them, Karl ?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Phishman068 wrote:
Does anyone have experience with these?

I doubt it ... only Karl spots stuff like this Wink

It's a hybrid for snow and dry with emphasis on bad weather. Load specs are marginal like with BFG's but they should be fine. I couldn't find any surface or sidewall strength specs.

But Karl is or was a Bridgestone man ... what's available from them, Karl ?

The load specs are fine for a passenger 2WD. I've been using Firestone for the Syncro 3-season tires for the past six years, Dunlop snows for the 'white' season.

Bridgestone's only offering close to this is http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=B...;tab=Sizes and it's only SL-rated - although the size, 215/70, makes the weight capacity 1653 @ 44 psi.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:

I have those tires in 225/55-16 and they are very good winter tires. The flexy tread makes for a slightly loose driving experience while they are pretty new but they really grab on ice and churn through snow. I put a set on my wife's 2007 Subaru Legacy too and that car is unstoppable in the snow! Wink

I just re-installed them for the winter and they are tighter than last year, though still looser than my all season tires. They are also very quiet tires, if that's a concern for you.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lowest load rating VW used was 97
see
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/guideline.html

the Nokian is rated at 102

and the nicely siped conti that Karl found, is rated 95

the Agilis is rated 102, but I agree it is dangerous in snow

The cost of Nokians, at 142ea compared to the conti at 84ea is a difference of 232 dollars for 4 tires..

If you put 65 cents into a jar every day for a year, you make up the cost of the Nokians.. The next 3 years your Nokians will continue to make you smile, at no extra cost over the Conti..

or to put it another way.. by buying the under rated Conti, you get to go 1000 free fuel miles from saving the extra cost of the Nokian.. But after that 1000 miles, you still have under rated tires..
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put, Jonathan.

I believe the OP is in Pittsburgh. I'm originally from Pittsburgh. There's very little that's flat in Pittsburgh except downtown, and in winter the hills are screamers because it snows there plus ice/slush.

The OP compares the tire costs to current vehicle value. I wouldn't look at it that way when it comes to safety, traction and performance.

Even nokians can be overwhelmed in snow and ice if the driver doesn't navigate/gear properly but it gives a good driver an edge or distinct advantage.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contis are rated fine for a passenger 2WD van, at 1521 lbs @ 51 psi. Extra-load rated. There is nothing unsafe in this tire choice for the application.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: The Agilis Aren't THAT Bad! Reply with quote

Just a note--Dave is quite right that the Agilis are HORRIBLE on ice or snow, it's that hard, hard Michelin rubber. I would argue, though, from experience that in rain, and even mud, they're not bad--I've been on Winston's in fresh, fairly thick mud, and he never shifted, and in pouring, driving rain. The GROOVES are just fine, in the Agilis. But on Ice... My shoulder still hurts:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276262

The GOOD part about the Agilis, besides their great ride and tracking, is that, given their hard rubber--they're wearing like iron. I'm not in the market to replace them.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus love my bfg at 215 75 15 work great good cost and easy to find.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Mac_Daddy_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Hankook W404 studed winter tires Reply with quote

Hi all,

any know if the Hankook 195/65/15 studded W404 with a T91 load rating will work for 2WD vanagon? will post pic soon[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelin Agilis
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: