Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15'' tire options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obie84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrydog411 wrote:
so if you don't think the 70s are for you, get the 65s ..

by the way, what is your rationale for ruling out the WRC Van in 205 65R15 .. ?

Well, if I knew whether the 70s or 65s are for me, I wouldn't be asking these questions.

In light of how many folks in the forum have chosen 205/70s, I am genuinely interested in how they weighed the pros and cons of the sizes. For instance, what benefit do they get from the larger tire, and why did they feel that was a good trade off for the 3% difference in acceleration mentioned in an earlier post.

As for the WRC Van tires, everywhere I look they cost about $25 more per tire than the WR G2s, which Van Cafe also recommends.

Have you used either one?
malagato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am upgrading to 15 inch wheels and am wondering. Is the issue the load index OR the reinforcing of the sidewall. Is any tire of appropriate size with a load index of 98 or better ok ? or a lower load index if the tire is XL or RL?
Is it one or the other or both?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tire w/load index 98 is probably already LT or RF.
Likewise, they should & likely will be at least load range "C" if not "D".

Any/all of these specs are good for your van.

Good reading: http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/guideline.html

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Obie84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody running on Nokian WR G2 tires, as opposed to WR Reply with quote

Obie84 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with the Nokian WR G2 tires as opposed to WRC's. I noticed Van-Cafe is selling both of these now, as weel as the Entyre.

I'm in a '88 Westy, about to upgrade to 15" alloys. Thinking about 205/65 R15 in the WRG2. Opinions, experience?

Update--Thanks to all who have offered input to my earlier inquiry. Your collective experience is very valuable.
I have decided to go with Nokia WR G2 tires in size 215/65 R15. Wider than I had originally planned, but I thought I'd experiment with the bigger footprint and the taller wheel/tire combo that many have endorsed. In a week or so I'll be able to judge for myself.

I passed on the WRC due to its higher cost (20-25 bucks per tire) and advice that the WR G2s might give a slightly softer ride. Having said that, the WRC Vans sound like great tires with perfect specs for a Vanagon. Passed on the eNTYRES, because I wanted a slightly better performing tire in snow. But I'm thinking about putting a set of them on my 2010 Jetta TDI wagon next month, based largely on the positive comments in this thread.

Again thanks to all, and especially Peter at VanCafe, who called me back and gave me a wealth of expert information over the telephone.
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running on Nokian WR G2 tires, as opposed to WR Reply with quote

Obie84 wrote:
[quote="Obie84"
I passed on the WRC ... the WR G2s might give a slightly softer ride.

Was that because of the compound or the construction?

Here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578490
Obie84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume construction more than compound. I'm no engineer, but I associate compound more with treadwear and road grip. But the advice came to me without a specific explanation. The sources included two vendors that sell a large number of Nokians, including to VW owners.

But I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting WR C Van tires, which have an excellent reputation among many Vanagon owners. The specs are perfect, including the all-important load rating. I think you could expect that the WR C Cargo--as opposed to the WR C Van--to have a stiffer wall and ride on a similar weight vehicle, since it was designed more for commercial cargo van (like a plumber's van or large delivery van, for instance)

In any case, I have been very pleased with my WRG2s so far, although I haven't taken a longer road trip with them yet; mostly just around town driving so far.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexen has a C rated tire that meets the 2wd specs do not know how it handles on snow. Around $85.00 for a 215/75/15. They are rated at 100 / 1762 lbs / treadware of 520 and have a max inflation of 50 psi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Obie84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reliable tire that is easily found for 100 bucks/tire (sometimes less) is the Hankook RA08, gets great reviews from Vanagon users & also exceeds all required specs (8-ply construction, Load Range D--1874 lbs. max per tire.) Very good for stock 14" wheels, available in other sizes as well.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody running on Nokian WR G2 tires, as opposed to WR Reply with quote

Obie84 wrote:
Obie84 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with the Nokian WR G2 tires as opposed to WRC's. I noticed Van-Cafe is selling both of these now, as weel as the Entyre.

I'm in a '88 Westy, about to upgrade to 15" alloys. Thinking about 205/65 R15 in the WRG2. Opinions, experience?

Update--Thanks to all who have offered input to my earlier inquiry. Your collective experience is very valuable.
I have decided to go with Nokia WR G2 tires in size 215/65 R15. Wider than I had originally planned, but I thought I'd experiment with the bigger footprint and the taller wheel/tire combo that many have endorsed. In a week or so I'll be able to judge for myself.

I passed on the WRC due to its higher cost (20-25 bucks per tire) and advice that the WR G2s might give a slightly softer ride. Having said that, the WRC Vans sound like great tires with perfect specs for a Vanagon. Passed on the eNTYRES, because I wanted a slightly better performing tire in snow. But I'm thinking about putting a set of them on my 2010 Jetta TDI wagon next month, based largely on the positive comments in this thread.

Again thanks to all, and especially Peter at VanCafe, who called me back and gave me a wealth of expert information over the telephone.

Now that you've had them a while what are your thoughts? I'm looking at the same wheels/tires in the same sizes. Thanks!
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a current list of some of the 15"Nokian tires available including sizes and load/speed ratings:

Nokian WRG2 (All Weather Plus) - 215/65/15 (100/H), 215/70/15 (98/H), 205/70/15 (100/H)

Nokian WRG3 (All Weather/Severe Winter) - 205/65/15 (99H), 205/70/15 (100/H)

Nokian WRC (Non-studded Winter) - 205/65/15 (102/100 T)

Nokian Hakka C (Summer) - 205/65/15 (102/100 T), 205/70/15 (106/104 S)
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has anyone run the WRC Nokian on a Syncro ? Mine gets 98% highway use. I run Hakkapellitas now which i have removed the studs from. I have used them off road and they seemed Ok.
How aggressive is a WRC off road ?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
So has anyone run the WRC Nokian on a Syncro ? Mine gets 98% highway use. I run Hakkapellitas now which i have removed the studs from. I have used them off road and they seemed Ok.
How aggressive is a WRC off road ?

Stacy

I've been running the WRC 205/65/15 for three years now. I think it's a great all around tire, especially if you drive mostly on pavement.
Most of my off-road driving has been dirt and gravel logging roads and they have been really good there.
However I recently did a "real"off-road syncro trip on some rocky high clearance trails and they were clearly not the best choice. I had no traction problems but the lower profile meant I couldn't air down as much as the other vans and I had less clearance. I punctured one sidewall and bent one rim.
I need to replace them soon and need to consider I'm planning a Baja trip in the next year or so. The syncro is my only vehicle so I didn't want to go to big BFGs and lose street performance but I don't want to blow my tires in the middle of the Mexican desert either...

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Les Shwab? Reply with quote

Anyone tried their FS657 (made by Federal tires)?? They have a 205/65/15 with XL rating for $431 installed for four tires. It's either these or Nokian Hakka C but they are $880 installed. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd's in Santa Cruz, CA recently installed a set of Nokian Hakka C Van, 205/65/R15 on my 1990 multivan. They were $690.14 out the door including $50 of tax.

Dan
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/m-108-nokian-tires.aspx?pagenum=3

These guys seem to carry all the Nokian's with free shipping.

Recently purchased 5 WRG3's for $138.00 each.
wes.outside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, does anyone know the Dunlop SP LT 60?

My local tire store says that they are a great winter tire for my van, but it's tough getting specs - although from what I can see here.. [/url]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+LT+60&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=065TR5LT60&tab=Specs[url] they look like they will work. I live in Wyoming, so it's time for snow tires...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/tires/light-truck/sp-lt-60/
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hercules (Cooper Brand I believe) has the Power CV in several 15 inch sizes and they are all load rated 102 and above. I have some in 16 inch flavor and they are stable and quiet. Good traction wet and dry, but I haven't tried any snow (it hasn't snowed here in awhile due to the drought). I got them from one of the local commercial tire dealers (mostly do work trucks, delivery vans, semis, etc).
hbmbguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone running the Nokian WR C3 205/65 R15 on a 2WD Camper?

Thoughts?
Aerosport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: 15" Tire options Reply with quote

New Sumitomo HTR A/ SP02 XL looks pretty similar to the road version of the Nokians at a great price $58.18 per and warranty

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=S...;tab=Sizes

'87 Westy GL - "Stanagon", 2wd WBX 4 speed
15" Rhein alloys, GW 1.5" lift springs & Fox shocks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: