Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moly Clips for interior slider panel
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vol.ff4312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

Anyone have a source or part number for Moly clips that will work with the interior slider panel? I'm going to recover the original with faux leather but want the ability to easily remove it if need be. I know they would be visible but I'm ok with that. Paint them brown so they blend in or something.

1974 Super Beetle
1980 Vanagon Westy
1976 Leyland Mini

All as stock as I can make them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

vol.ff4312 wrote:
Anyone have a source or part number for Moly clips that will work with the interior slider panel? I'm going to recover the original with faux leather but want the ability to easily remove it if need be. I know they would be visible but I'm ok with that. Paint them brown so they blend in or something.

Do you mean panel retainer clips like this? https://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-...pps.s=3706

If so, measure the width of the hole and get the clips sized for that size of hole.

If you're using the old panel and just recovering it then you can use these from GW. https://gowesty.com/products/ridged-trim-panel-clips
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

The most secure way to hold the panel in place, because of the slamming of the door at the rear where it suddenly moves toward the inside, is with truss head screws. https://www.google.com/search?q=truss+head+screws&...nt=gws-wiz Put them into fresh metal and use more than the original clip. Paint them the color you want. AND you get the at your local hardware store.

Duncan
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
The most secure way to hold the panel in place, because of the slamming of the door at the rear where it suddenly moves toward the inside, is with truss head screws. https://www.google.com/search?q=truss+head+screws&...nt=gws-wiz Put them into fresh metal and use more than the original clip. Paint them the color you want. AND you get the at your local hardware store.

Duncan

I think it depends on how he want to secure the panel. If doing it the OEM way then the GW ones are fine. They've worked for me on my Sewfine panel and they worked were working well on the old panel although the old panel was ripped but the clips were still holding strong. If he want to have clips that are exposed then the ones you mentioned are going to hold it for the life of the van.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

there's a hot rod builder, his youtube channel is called ''ICON'' high end stuff, he uses rare earth magnets on his customer door panels.
l'm going to give that a try when it's time to re do lucy's interior.
as those stupid clips end up trashing the door panels.

619 201 0310
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
there's a hot rod builder, his youtube channel is called ''ICON'' high end stuff, he uses rare earth magnets on his customer door panels.
l'm going to give that a try when it's time to re do lucy's interior.
as those stupid clips end up trashing the door panels.
Excellent idea. There do need to be a couple of positioning pins.

Duncan
vol.ff4312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

Appreciate the ideas but still looking for a moly type fastener that would work. The headless ones from GW are my 2nd choice. It's what is currently (well OEM) on there but they don't hold up and I like the ability to easily remove with a moly type configuration. I agree on how rugged the truss head screws are but not going to drill my sheet metal. Magnets are cool but want to stick with a more conventional approach.

1974 Super Beetle
1980 Vanagon Westy
1976 Leyland Mini

All as stock as I can make them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

reach out to Werksberg, I think he sells them

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

If you can't find the OEM clips from a Vanagon vendor, I would start looking at a generic supplier like McMaster-Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/panel-clips/rivet-shank-style~keyhole/

You'll want to measure the hole diameters in both panel and door frame, and total thickness for a tight connection.

Unfortunately, these only come in Black or Off-White, but could be painted to suit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Moly Clips for interior slider panel Reply with quote

https://bus-ok.nl/T3-Parts-made-by-BUS-ok
Paste this address at the top, not in a Google or Chrome window in the middle of the screen. Toward the bottom there is a plethora of panel attachment buttons.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: