Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the shop imploded my fuel tank.. what next.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: the shop imploded my fuel tank.. what next. Reply with quote

I have a issue I need to see if you guys can help me with...
The shop I brought my fully mechanically restored van to perform the startup, systems tests...
The issue here is they did a fuel system pressure test, ran the engine with clamps in place, and resulted in imploded tank.
They are replacing the tank with a Spectra.
Is this a ok brand?
Next, engine, all accessories, tranny, every nut/bolt was replaced new. No spare of expense.
I was upset cause I truck lined my tank 3x for sound deadening.....
Main question.. should I be requesting they be replacing my fuel pump due to the pressure put on it?
It was a brand new pump, all evaporative system components, all new Napa fuel line at next to $5 a foot..
I find it appalling that I even have to face this at this point.
uggh. so dissatisfied... Sad
Anything else I shold be aware of in getting this fixed, besides a discount?

Last edited by dubbified on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something in your description makes no sense to me. Sorry. If the evaporative system is not functioning properly, it would be possible for the fuel pump to pull a vacumn and collapse the tank, but unlikey to happen quickly. Implode implies it collapsed on itself. What pressure test were they running? If you wanted to know the max output pressure, you'd pinch off only the return line. That in itself would not blow the tank up or collapse it. If they ran the pump with the supply line pinched, the pump would cavitate and eventually burn up, again, don't see how that would affect the tank. Something is sketchy here.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank, all lines, valves, pump, filters, everything is brand new.
I requested a coolant system pressure check, fuel system pressure check..engine compression test to ensure everything is spot on..
The issue with the fuel system, is during their test, they clamped off lines.
They left the clamps in place.. placed fuel in the van..
Ran the van..
Running the van sucked out fuel.
Imploded the tank.
ever suck liquid out of a capri sun juice box?
My tank basically behaved the same way. collapsed.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they clamped off the vent lines? Were they pressure testing the evaporative system then? I understand the science, just don't understand the test they were performing. You say you requested a fuel pressure check, that is completely different from an evaporative system check. Normally a fuel pressure check would be with nothing clamped and the engine idling. I think you need to get your replacement tank and get out of there. Or they are lying about how it happened. If the pump starved for fuel, that is not good for it. Depending on how long it ran starved would determine if it was damaged. It is likely the engine quit before the pump was damaged unless they were running the pump "hotwired". Still kind of foggy on the details. Bummer.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I requested a Fuel system pressure test.. to ensure the tank, related systems were sealed, nothing popped off.. or other.
purely a precautionary thing.. turned south.
I hope to resolve this.
I did request they replace the pump/tank.
Sucks that I'm gunna lose my work on truckbed liner job to the tank..
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks (really). When I read the subject line I thought they got a jack into it or maybe lowered the lift with a stool or cart under it (something I'm sure I have never done).

I am amazed that the pump would be powerful enough to collapase the tank but you seem to have evidence that it will.
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
That sucks (really).

Bah-dum-ching!

Bummer. Fuel pump should be fine. The aftermarket tanks are not as nice as the original, but what can you do... At least the new one is gonna be rust free.

Make sure the new one has the larger size fuel outlet, 11mm. I bought an aftermarket one (forget which one), the fuel pipe outlet was too small (7mm) causing cavitation sounds.
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
I requested a Fuel system pressure test.. to ensure the tank, related systems were sealed, nothing popped off.. or other.

It's your use of "fuel system pressure test" that has caused some confusion here.

A "fuel system pressure test" would imply to 99% of us here that you wanted to check the positive output pressure of the fuel pump. This would be a positive reading in PSI and would also look for visible leaks. This would NOT include the evap lines.

What you are really saying you asked for (and what the shop performed) was a leak test of both the fuel and evap lines. The shop did that by applying negative pressure (a vacuum) instead of positive pressure. This would work best for only checking the evap lines for leaks and not necessarily the fuel line. It's easier to spot dripping fuel from a leaking line under pressure and not vacuum.

I would chalk it up to "sh!t happens" and am glad to hear the shop is replacing the tank.

Why can't you have the new tank re-coated?
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yea, then the technical term I'd use was "Crushed" external force on the tank.. vs internal.
I just called them and asked them to clarify process used, they said they plugged the evap system and forgot to unplug it when they ran the engine for 20 min, then taking it on a test drive for another 10 or so.
So, this means engine running sucking fuel out, and engine vacuum caused the tank to implode..
wait a sec.. engine running, both the pump pulling fluid out, and the vacuum is sorta a double whammy on my seals, tanks.
I said I'd like to see the fuel pump replaced. They said they will replace the tank but not the pump.
All this sounds odd to me.
Another beef here.. which this is seemingly becoming my bitchfest now..
When speaking to them prior to going down in person last night.. they said it runs odd and I have the wrong coil in there (29.99 coil from busdepot, mexi bosch, red color) course I'd been speaking to the service desk guy.
I said you best check that cause the Blues are for the "aircooled", and are internal ballast.. if anything the metal chassis/green label is also for these.
When I got there, speaking to the mechanic. say.. your engine runs but seems to run a tad odd.. I think its the coil..
I affirmed The coil is new, from Busdepot.. although its the mexican version, red.. 29.99
I said, ok being as all coils/capacitors are not even, go ahead and put the green label coil in there, I can pay for that.
The part I queried is that while he was coming to this troubleshooting decision while running the engine, is their shop undoubtably has good used/new coils on the shelf and why not plug that in, and refire. It seems odd that didnt occur to him.
The part I became more concerned about is where he got into saying.. well it could be the computer not supplying enough voltage. .they do that before the computer dies.
oddly.. I said well, using a digital multimeter, did you test the voltage like I asked, which is on my list of to do's? NO.
I specifically put on the list to test voltage to the ecu/coil prior to startup.
Whodathunk why I asked.
I'm rife with frustration. I just want my van out of there.
This is so why I do my own work.. and I shoulda just got a rental shop and finished it.
Lesson learned.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen tanks "pulled in" by fuel pumps when the evaporation system is mis-installed or plugged, mostly Volvos..for some reason. Good German pumps..they get noisy too when it happens.

The fuel pumps were always fine and worked for years with no ill effects..the tanks were hardly salvageable..if at all.

If the tank is "slightly" pulled in..you can shoot some compressed air inside..with all the ports plugged..and you MIGHT be able to pop it back out.

New tanks are not that expensive. It would be best to replace it.

Can't speak to the coil question. The vanagon probably ran odd when it was sucking the tank in. Bus Depot lists the coil as correct for your VW. Leave the coil alone and try another shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
I think their shop is well cleaned, looks in order and otherwise it sounds like people have good things to say.
despite my worried parent sound.. I'm agitated when I just had a similar issue at a shop which was saying 60-700 and authed up to 1000 in work.. no communication ran the total to 2500, had my car for a month, and didnt do the work on my list, and actually caused rework/damange to my Gti.
So, I'm jiffy on the spot to try and ensure this does not occur again.. twice bitten..
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I think their shop is well cleaned, looks in order and otherwise it sounds like people have good things to say.

despite my worried parent sound.. I'm agitated when I just had a similar issue at a shop which was saying 60-700 and authed up to 1000 in work.. no communication ran the total to 2500, had my car for a month, and didnt do the work on my list, and actually caused rework/damange to my Gti.

So, I'm jiffy on the spot to try and ensure this does not occur again.. twice bitten..

Technically and legally..you are only liable for the amount you authorized..any additional work done (within reason) without your prior verbal approval..its on them.

The clean shops are not always the best. Techs have too much time on their hands, or YOU are paying shop hour$$$ for mop and scrub time.

Find an old honest guy working in a dump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atmospheric pressure at sea level is around 14.5 psi per square inch. When the tank is vented properly, the pressure internally is equalized so the tank keeps its shape, just as our bodies do. As soon as the internal pressure started to drop because the tank could not vent to atmosphere, the tank sides would have started to distort. It does not take much of a variation to see extreme results.

We had a couple diesel rabbits in the old days that had the roll over valve fail. The injection pump would about suck the tank flat. Oddly the complaint both times I recall was the fuel gauge was off.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: the shop imploded my fuel tank.. what next. Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:

They are replacing the tank with a Spectra.
Is this a ok brand?

I can't speak to the Vanagon tanks, but that's the replacement brand the Cabriolets use and I've not heard a single bad word about them (and there's been a lot of tank replacements over the years).

It's a bummer this happened at a shop, but it's fortunate they owned up to their mistake and are paying for it (to a degree). A lot of irresponsible shops out there would blame the implosion on something other than themselves.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had so many cabriolets.. 9 MK1's.

Did you know VW still has a open Fuel tank replacement recall?

I got a 1500 tank system overhaul from vw on TWO of them after I found out.. my tanks were exhibiting signs of the welds weeping fuel.

woooo... no good.. but VWOA took some haggling.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, when all is said and done, it sounds like you had no leaks...that was after all what you wanted them to check, right?! Hopefully when the new gas tank is installed, you will still have no leaks.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hAHAHA.. yes... I guess I had no leaks.. Smile

at the end of the day.. it will be done, and driving.. and its just time, and money.

I just wanna get camping. dammit. Rolling Eyes
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what shop did this? Although they made mistakes, they stood by and corrected the issues. Sounds to me like a good shop in the end.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so they won't pay for the fuel pump still
i'd be after their management for that one
be firm polite and do not back down, they messed up, their problem to fix issues caused by their mess up

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont need a new fuel pump..it did not take long to suck the tank in. As dramatic as the tank looks..it take no measurable life out of the pump. The brushes and armature will be fine. Pump parts did not wear out in 30 minutes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: