Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

urgent help needed re 1984 Westy muffler system
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lkcummings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: urgent help needed re 1984 Westy muffler system Reply with quote

1984 Westy; rebuilt 2.1 engine.

We're on the road foom Santa Fe, NM to Michigan, now in Lawrence KS ...muffler started sounding very load...mechanic says the gasket between the manifold and the exhaust pipe is gone. He is reluctant to fix it because he is concerned about breaking a bolt. We're trying to decide what to do.

We're concerned about melting/burning the wires directly above it if we keep driving, or having the van catch fire from the heat of muffler. Anyone know what the wires are, or if that's really a concern? Could we turn around and drive 700 miles back home, or do we have to find someone to fix here?

There are two bolts connecting it; the bottom one is gone.

Advice? We have to give up vacation, it appears, but want to get back home safely.

Need quick advice - traveling with two dogs.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut, grind , weld.

Order a replacement when you get home.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sound like you are talking about the head to exhaust header? And the presence of wires...cylinder 3?

Your mechanic has a legitimate concern. But if I were you I would never give up on a trip for such a simple problem. If it is where I think it is, my on the road fix would be to fill the gap with high temp sealant, wrap wire into the gap to provide mechanical resistance, wrap that with tinfoil and wrap that with more wire.

If you can find a patient mechanic with specific experience (good muffler shop) they should be able to fix that.

Can you get a phot up here?

RonC
lkcummings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice...can't post photo now bc we rented a car to continue trip (have ticket to ballgame in Minneapolis tonight).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: urgent help needed re 1984 Westy muffler system Reply with quote

lkcummings wrote:
...mechanic says the gasket between the manifold and the exhaust pipe is gone. He is reluctant to fix it because he is concerned about breaking a bolt...

Since I would hope a mechanic would have said 'head' if he was referring to the connection at the head, I'm wondering if it is this one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If so -- a broken bolt is no big deal there. In fact, it is easier if they just break though they can be cut.

Easy fix. New gasket & 4 nuts, bolts and lock washers. Preferably correct metric but ordinary SAE will get you back on the road.

I had this fail on a trip and bolted it up w/o a gasket or any sealant and it was fine until I got home and did a proper job.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought that too but he said there are two bolts.

Enjoy the ball game!

RonC
lkcummings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have little mechanical experience (not to be sexist - but I'm female)...just consulted with my partner (a "he")... the bolt that is broken holds the exhaust flange to the exhaust manifold. If it helps, our mechanic back home says the replacement number is N90131602.

We return from Minneapolis to Lawrence on Monday to see if mechanic will work on it...or we may drive to the larger city of Topeka to get it repaired there - probably more options.

Thanks for the advice - might try to partially fix per suggestion, and get it back home to her usual mechanic! And go on alternative vacation later this summer.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lkcummings wrote:
If it helps, our mechanic back home says the replacement number is N90131602...

Okay, that number is Exhaust Flange Gasket, Cylinder Head to Y Pipe so it is the manifold to head connection. Possibly a bolt, originally a stud I think.

One of those things where you don't know what you're in for until you try and then you're in for whatever it takes to fix. So yeah, if a Band-Aid gets you home that may be an option.

In case you don't have the link handy: Roadhaus Repair Shops may help you find a shop.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An exhaust leak is never a good thing and can cause backfiring and a burned valve.
But.......
If you need to drive and want to direct the hot gases away from wires, just form a heat shield out of a Scrap of sheet metal and be on your way to greener pastures.

Do get it fixed ASAP, and NOT WITH A BOLT! Install a proper stud....... It DOES make a difference.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lkcummings wrote:
I have little mechanical experience (not to be sexist - but I'm female)...just consulted with my partner (a "he")...

oops...sorry lk Embarassed

In the absence of a name, one has to make a guess, unless you want to be called 'it'. One has about a 99% chance of being correct using 'he'. More 'she's are required here, so this is good.

RonC
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have two studs and nuts holding the header pipe on then a bit of heat on the nut should get it to come loose, though as others have said removing the head pipes is always iffy.

A heat shield made out of a tin can or a scrap of sheet metal would keep the heat away from the wires, and some JB Weld applied around the flange along with a couple of wraps of mechanic's wire just might lessen or stop the leak, at least for a while.
lkcummings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! We're headed back to Lawrence KS tonite after the ballgame- our team (Detroit Tigers) lost yesterday - hope they win today. We plan to try an amalgam of all the suggestions to get us back home to our regular mechanic.

(Recognize normal to assume I'm a male....I do the posting 'cause my nutty stud doesn't like to get on the computer - but he's the one with more mechanical knowledge.)

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I think we'll make it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: