Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Largest 14" Tires for 2WD Vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Largest 14" Tires for 2WD Vanagon Reply with quote

I've been wading through the archives for some time now and can't seem to find this tidbit. What is the largest size tire that fits the stock 14" rims and doesn't rub front or rear? Does anyone have any tire recommendations in that size that meet the load rating for vanagons?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Largest 14" Tires for 2WD Vanagon Reply with quote

The largest is LT27x8.5/14 and these are Load C, 6PR, 50 psi max. The load rating should be fine for Vanagons of all versions IMHO. Not many brands still make this once common light truck size. Stock alloy 14s are 6" wide and that is what tires of this size have as minimum width spec. Lots of people have run them on steel 14s at 5.5" but the tread isn't quite flat, at least not at first. There are some rare 6"x14" steel Vanagon wheels but more like hen's teeth. Stock 6"x14" alloys are cheap enough now. Come by and I might almost give you a set.

Mark

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I've been wading through the archives for some time now and can't seem to find this tidbit. What is the largest size tire that fits the stock 14" rims and doesn't rub front or rear? Does anyone have any tire recommendations in that size that meet the load rating for vanagons?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have BFGs in that 27" size....awesome tires on a Vanagon with stock alloys.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the 27x8.50s the General Grabber AT is the tallest(26.8") of what I've seen currently available. I am currently running Maxxis 751 and they are 26.3". I don't believe there are any issues with clearance on the grabbers. I am using one as a spare and had to modify the clamshell to get it to fit in there and it's only inflated to about 10psi. I plan to switch to the grabbers when my 751s wear out.
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

27.5x8 have zero issues on stock alloys. On my second set now..Firestone LT previous, now the Grabbers. The extra diameter on these tires is good for reduced revs on the highway with the converted auto. It's not a big reduction but 1.8% is a pretty accurate mileage correction based on GPS. The speedo in stock form reads under, with these tires is pretty much dead on.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the BFG A/T 27x8.5x14 on the stock alloys on one of my vans. What is the limiting factor to going larger? Do they rub in the front? It looks like the trailing arm lip is the limiting factor in the rear and there's oodles of room for larger.
tkgeorge_99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the general grabbers at2 ( 27 x 8.50) on my van and love them. They have a burly off road look, perform great on and off road, and were pretty reasonably priced. I haven't had a rubbing problems.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, obviously you have alloys, but just in case someone is reading this who may want to run these tires on steel wheels, be aware that they can sometimes rub on the upper control arm. The fit is tight enough that some vans have enough clearance and others don't. Combined tolerance differences in the upper control arms, upper balljoints and rotors can all add up to reduced clearances.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that they won't ever work on the stock 14" steel wheels, I'm simply saying that a certain percentage will have rubbing issues at the upper control arm. I have had to sell a number of customers thin spacers to gain enough clearance on the front with this wheel/tire combination.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Chris I have the BFG a/t 27x8.5x14s on two different vans. One has the stock steelies, one has the alloys. Neither van has had any issues with any rubbing anywhere.

So just to be clear, the upper control arm is the limiting factor/where it would rub first?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limiting factor in your case is the 14" rims.

Mark

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I have the BFG A/T 27x8.5x14 on the stock alloys on one of my vans. What is the limiting factor to going larger? Do they rub in the front? It looks like the trailing arm lip is the limiting factor in the rear and there's oodles of room for larger.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Actually Chris I have the BFG a/t 27x8.5x14s on two different vans. One has the stock steelies, one has the alloys. Neither van has had any issues with any rubbing anywhere.

So just to be clear, the upper control arm is the limiting factor/where it would rub first?

Ah, sorry, I missed that fact.

Yes, they can cause rubbing issues between the tire and the upper control arm. Again, not all vans do, but some.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is that the limiting factor WRT diameter or is it just something to watch out for with those tires? It looks like if the control arm were to rub the tire it would do so very close to the rim and not be a diameter limiting factor.

As far as the rear goes, it looks like the trailing arm lip is the limiting factor and the 27" BFGs are 1-3/8" away from the lip. That would lead me to believe that a 29" diameter tire would fit on the rear with 3/8" of clearance. Am I mistaken?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 195 -14 on my vanagon, little bigger than stock, about 8% change in size over the 185 tires. speedo error is at 65 mphindicated, gps says 70 mph,
Nicer for highway cruising gets the revs down a bit, however i do notice I need to down shift on the steep hills in the mountains a bit more. it is a trade off, i do more highway than mountains, hence my choice, would i do it again, maybe,

these are on a 1986 tin top, stock steel rims
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

185 and 195 describe the width NOT diameter. The middle number (e.g. 75), which you have left absent, describes the sidewall height in relation to the width (aspect ratio). In order to match a 27" diameter tire with a 195 width, the aspect ratio would need to be 85. Tire Rack doesn't show any tires that are 195-85-R14 and don't show any aspect ratio greater than 85.

In looking at the actual tire sizes available I see why Mark said that 27x8.5 are the largest for 14" rims.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true but you won't find many 27x8.5 maybe just a couple still available actually. A 225/70-14 is very close in size and has lot more choices. Just get one that is rated for 44 psi. I have some Firestone Destination AT that I like.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
That's true but you won't find many 27x8.5 maybe just a couple still available actually. A 225/70-14 is very close in size and has lot more choices. Just get one that is rated for 44 psi. I have some Firestone Destination AT that I like.

I loooove the 225/70/r14 Destination A/T's on my 91 Westy.
Remarkably quiet. Fat footprint. Good in wind. Aggressive tread. Long wearing. No bulges or problems after 10K miles.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A%2FT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:
size ------- height/width
205/70/14XL--25.3/8.2
185R14C--25.7/5.3
LT195/75R14--25.8/5.2
195R14C--26.2/7.8
LT27-8.5-14--26.8/8.6
P225/70/14--26.5/9 (note: I cannot find any in this size that are not "SL" standard load passenger tires, I know there were some in the past.)

Note stats from Tire Rack 185R14C and 195/75R14 Yoko Y356, 205/70/14 General Altimax; 195R14C Kumho 857; 27x8.5x14 General Grabber AT2, P225/70/14 BFG Radial TA

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
That would lead me to believe that a 29" diameter tire would fit on the rear with 3/8" of clearance. Am I mistaken?

That is about right, with a hakka CS 195 75r 16 (27.5" diameter) I had 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" of clearance.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Tire Rack doesn't show any tires that are 195-85-R14 and don't show any aspect ratio greater than 85.

Andrew, select "195" "NONE" and "14". 205/14Cs are available, too if you look around enough. Some will be marked "trailer" only, but those same tires (Kumho 857) are marked as commercial vehicle tires in other countries. I'm not sure why. Maybe the cost of testing or complying with regs for the US market.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Sun May 12, 2013 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shows tires that are smaller than 27" diameter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: