Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Out of the blue, won't go into gear.. grinding! WTF?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
littleredrooster679
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Out of the blue, won't go into gear.. grinding! WTF? Reply with quote

I took my bus out on a two hour drive today, when it started to loose power it seemed, as I approached a pretty big incline.

So, I pulled over, gave it a rest to cool down, then when I went to hit the road again, it wouldn't go into (any) gears whatsoever, and would grind when I tried. I checked out the clutch cable play at the pedal, and it seemed alright. I went underneath and attempted to tighten the clutch butterfly nut, but it was already pretty well tightened down.

I put it in first, THEN tried to start it, and it would just lurch as the starter was turning it over.

Anybody have an idea of what the issue could be!??

as always, I appreciate the hell out of all of your help here.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need more information. Couldn't be a hockey stick as you can get it into gear, but then the last sentence baffles as that is what it's supposed to do. What did you do then, have the bus towed? More info please.
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the vehicle is lurching when you try to start the engine and you have the clutch depressed then the clutch must not be disengaging. Have someone press the clutch while you watch the clutch arm if it is moving you may have a broken clutch fork. If it's not moving you must have a broken cable.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch cable/clutch throwout bearing forks, clutch pressure plate. Engine pull time if the cable checks out. What is the pedal height/play? Sounds like your clutch isnt disengaging when you step on the clutch pedal.
littleredrooster679
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: ~ Reply with quote

Guys;

I had AAA tow me home.

It's weird because it was fine until I started climbing that steep hill. I pulled over because it seemed to not want to climb that hill, so I let it cool down.

But then, it wouldn't go into any gears and would just grind like hell whenever I tried to shift while it was running. So, I tried starting it in gear and it would just "lurch"

The pedal has about the 3/4" of play and the cable is pretty tight.

I'm probably going to yank the motor tommorow and will throw on a new clutch , throwout bearing, and a new clutch cable that I have.

I need to rule out that it's a transmission problem... but trans's usually go out gradually, and not all at once, right?
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot bearing in the glad nut
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even a dead transmission or transaxle in our case will shift into some gears when dead while trying to shift with the bus fully stopped. Now there is one other thing to check too. Thats make sure all the 4 engine mounting bolts are tight. I once had a truck that the bottom engine bolts fell out. Would barely go into gear. The whole clutch purpose is to disengage the engine from the transaxle so the gears have no load on them and they can find their sweet spot when you shift. Try sticking your finger in an inch wide hole in the wall while running past it. You'll either miss the hole or you will break your finger. Now try hitting the hole just standing there. Finger goes in every time right? One way or another, your clutch isnt doing its job.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a clutch cable about to break too. Take pictures.
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:

x2
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svxcarat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
slow36hp wrote:

x2

x3
littleredrooster679
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: ~ Reply with quote

Guys;

Turns out the clutch disk decided to brake into piece, but fortunately I had a new one on hand to pulled the motor and put that on yesterday.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Job RR! I've had the cross shaft arms, pressure plates, hockey sticks and clutch cables break, slipping clutches due to hosed input shaft seals, but I've never had a clutch disk blow it's fiber like that... very interesting. Thanks for the picture!
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that explains why it wouldn't disengage! That chunk must have been jammed between the clutch and pressure plate. I've also never seen that. Chinese clutch?

Must have been slipping when you tried to go up hill, that's why it felt like it was losing power, then you pressed the clutch and allowed that piece to come out of place and jam it all up.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dayum, that sum bitch cracked in several places! Ditto on the chinese clutch? Soooo wanna know the brand. As bugs bunny said, bon viachee when you get that sucker back together and happy clutching. Clean the disc up and make a clock out of it. Theres some wall art there.
Gotta ask, have you ever done the famous extremely fun clutch dump before? Id say crappy disc or clutch dumps.

Last edited by quartermilecamel on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
littleredrooster679
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: ~ Reply with quote

Guys;

I put it all back together, put the motor in and everything... went to start it and it made a really loud "THUNK!", tried it again and the same thing. Sounds like someone turned on a clothes dryer full of cinder blocks more or less.

So now, I'm stumped again about what it could be this time! Anybody have any ideas? I put in that Fuch's clutch, pressure plate and new Fuch throw out bearing... everything should be lined up right.

And yeah, it was a chinese made clutch apparently!
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check out the pilot bearing?
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose flywheel?
littleredrooster679
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: ` Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
Did you check out the pilot bearing?

Yeah, I did check out the pilot bearing in the gland, it looked and turned fine in there... I put in a small dab of grease on it.

I'm pretty frustrated now! Guess we will have to pull the motor again to see what's up.

I have to take a break for awhile though, as my left hand is in a cast from a wrist fusion surgery I had a month ago. Fortunately I have some of the neighborhood rug rat kids to help me out here.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I have seen much worse than that. Used to work for a dealership. People who test drive vehicles dont always treat them well. Picture a 4x4 nissan truck offroading and stuck. Not only blew the clutch but disentragrated the whole disc. There was nothing left but clutch disc fibre hair. It literally looked like a left over haircut stash.
littleredrooster679
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't pull the flywheel off at all, so it's still tight in there. I'm thinking that I may have missed a piece of that old clutch plate and that it's binding in there somehow??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: