Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I currently use Zerex G-05, but will be switching to G-48 on the next maintenance cycle. Valvoline is the supplier to Mercedes, so I just use their coolant products in all my engines.
i use Zerex as well. No issues so far. Land Rover did use G-48 with the BMW sourced V-8 when they had it for the 3 years it was in the older Range Rover, but all other engines since the early '00s have been DexCool for them , same for Jaguar.
Not much in the way of steel fittings or pipes like on our Vanagons, but plenty of Aluminum, and lots of plastic piping and manifolds.
I used Dex-Cool on 80's BMWs before BMW even switched fully out of the older Green Coolant and over to the Blue Coolant in the later 90s.
All of the later Coolants are so much better at not dropping out the Silicates, due to not having them in the first place, which would adhere to many places in an engine , clogging things up eventually like with the old Coolants.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

Lifetime* of the fluid.

* probably the lifetime of a hamster.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

No automotive fluid is lifetime.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
syncroAustralia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

hardway wrote:
It is interesting that VW specs a two year drain interval, BMW lifetime and MBZ said 10 years last I looked..

G11 is lifetime. Check owners manual. G12+ G13 etc requires replacement.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/volkswagen_syncro.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

Somewhere I have a technical bulletin from MB stating very plainly that Valvoline is the supplier of the coolant they sell at the dealer for astronomic prices. It was G-05 and now is G-48. VAG and MB both share nearly all the same parts suppliers, so I feel comfortable using the specs from one on the other's engines. Plus, I can run to the local parts store and pick up Zerex.

y u rune klassik?
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

I did not used to believe it but I now seen enough evidence that G48 Valvoline is the same as MBZ blue, VW G11 and BMW blue. I get it in Rowe or Valvoline. It is interesting that VW specs a two year drain interval, BMW lifetime and MBZ said 10 years last I looked.

But for VAG products I am with tjet. I use G13 in mine. I think that VW uses a different G system for coolant ID than the rest of the world. Or else 11=48.

Honda specs borate free. There are a lot of theories out there about coolant chemistry. Just don't use silcate formulas unless you are scrupulous about drain intervals. The silicates are designed to drop out of solution to fill eroded areas.

It is difficult and time consuming to purge all traces of old coolant out of anything but even more so on Vanagons. Please use distilled or demineralized water. And disregard old wives tails about hungry electrons in distilled water.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

I currently use Zerex G-05, but will be switching to G-48 on the next maintenance cycle. Valvoline is the supplier to Mercedes, so I just use their coolant products in all my engines.

y u rune klassik?
HeinleinTrooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
I always use Rowe coolant. My supplier has it for $16 a gallon. G11 rated.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/2106640803.htm?pn=21066-408-03-INT

My Vanagon shop/mentor mechanic uses Rowe coolant in Vanagons, too.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

$75.00 every three years is merely $25.00/year for cooling system maintenance.

Waaaay cheaper than replacing the water gaskets on the heads!!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

I always use Rowe coolant. My supplier has it for $16 a gallon. G11 rated.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/2106640803.htm?pn=21066-408-03-INT
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-freeze/coolant recommendations Reply with quote

Howdy all you pandemic battlers!

I'm interested in good coolant for my 68,000 mile WBX 2.1 engine in my 1987 Camper. I know that I should end up with a 50/50 mix in the system, so I'm guessing at least two gallons of undiluted "concentrate" with an equal amount of distilled water. Is that enough, or should it be 3 gallons of each?

Anyway, the above recommended Pentosin "Pentofrost NF" G11 concentrate comes in 1.5 liter bottles costing at my local Advanced Auto about $15 each. The Pentosin website says it works with 1996 and earlier Volkswagens, but oddly the Advanced Auto (local FLAPS) site says it isn't for my '87 Vanagon??? If I do my liters to gallons conversion right, it looks like to end up with 2 gallons of concentrate, I'd have to buy 7.5 liters of Pentofrost NF (five bottles x $15 each = $75 !!!). Seems a bit expensive.

Can anyone suggest a more reasonable recommendations for a first time coolant flush by myself? I'd like a good product at a good value? Thanks for any helpful suggestions you can provide...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do.

I have one of these 5 gallon jugs. I mix it 50/50 with distilled water (2 gallon coolant & 2 gal wtr) & lay it down on the roof with a 8' clear hose pressed tightly (no leaks) into the surge tank (pressure res).

Remove the radiator bleeder & let it flush. Install the bleeder when the water coolant mix color matches the premix (It will be 2/3's empty) Works good. Make sure you get a square jug.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VP-Racing-White-5-Gallon-S...mp;vxp=mtr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mix it 50/50 with distilled water... please...
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:
So what is best for a WBX, nitrate-free or silicate-free?

if you look at the upper right corner - Pentofrost NF (with silicate) - at the list of vehicle - it's for Volskawagen (up to 06/1966)

^Typo. Wink Pentofrost NF, which is G11, is for Volkswagens up to 6/1996.

Here's a breakdown of VW's coolants over the production years:

Up to 1996: G11 (Ethylene Glycol-based with silicates, phosphate-free)
1996-2003: G12 (Ethylene Glycol-based, phosphate- & silicate-free)
2003-2008: G12+ (Ethylene Glycol-based with special additives; phosphate- & silicate-free)
2008-2010: G12++ (Ethylene Glycol-based with silicates; phosphate- & nitrite-free)
2010-present: G13 (Ethylene Glycol-based with silicates; phosphate- & nitrite-free)

Ok then, I will use that Pentofrost NF. I just replaced the WP (87 2.1) & I currently have straight water in it (for leak checks). Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Kam...

there's not enough coffee when I typed it..

Very Happy
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:

if you look at the upper right corner - Pentofrost NF (with silicate) - at the list of vehicle - it's for Volskawagen (up to 06/1966)

^Typo. Wink Pentofrost NF, which is G11, is for Volkswagens up to 6/1996.

Here's a breakdown of VW's coolants over the production years:

Up to 1996: G11 (Ethylene Glycol-based with silicates, phosphate-free)
1996-2003: G12 (Ethylene Glycol-based, phosphate- & silicate-free)
2003-2008: G12+ (Ethylene Glycol-based with special additives; phosphate- & silicate-free)
2008-2010: G12++ (Ethylene Glycol-based with silicates; phosphate- & nitrite-free)
2010-present: G13 (Ethylene Glycol-based with silicates; phosphate- & nitrite-free)
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

if you look at the upper right corner - Pentofrost NF (with silicate) - at the list of vehicle - it's for Volkswagen (up to 06/1996)

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of why you should change your antifreeze every two years is because it becomes an electrolyte, like in a battery. Your test strips are most likely just checking to see how acidic it is. As it becomes acidic, the Noble metals start shedding themselves, moving to the next lower metal on the range.
(zinc and aluminum are the sissies....)

Boats parked next to each other at an ocean dock, with an electrical leak into the water by one, can dissolve the entire motor in a short period of time. (Swimmers can also get lethally shocked!) The same thing happens inside your VW engine.

The azeotrope mixture of EG/H2O has poor rust inhibiting qualities, and additives help. But after even one year it's common to see a rust colored antifreeze. You're smart to change to a fresh mixture.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the cheapest green undiluted coolant I can get at NAPA. It's their $12.49/gallon house brand. Works great. I save the exotic $30/gallon Euro brand for my Audi. Mainly because I like having a bottle of that stuff on the shelf next to the other exotic oils and lotions and potions - heh.

The Vanagon WBX is a pretty low stressed, low tech engine and I'm not sure it needs to be fed pricey coolants. If I ever switch, it will be to a nontoxic simply because of how much these girls leak onto the street!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
I use Pentosin NF - flush and replace every 1.5 to 2 years....

http://www.pentosin.net/f_antifreeze.asp

So what is best for a WBX, nitrate-free or silicate-free? (or... what's best to avoid head gasket leaks)?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: