Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

I agree that Fox or King or other such rebuildable/revalvable shocks that cost 5X as much as KYBs will provide a better ride. They BETTER damned well work better.

Not all Bilsteins are rebuildable and the basic gas shocks intended to be installed on a VW bus tend to be harsh on a Bug.

The question of which shock works well for a given application tends to fit into the old hot rodder's saying - "Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?"
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: do i need these boots to go with my shocks? Reply with quote

Working on my mild baja build and need to order some shocks for the the stock bj front end. Do I need these boots to go with the front shocks?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: do i need these boots to go with my shocks? Reply with quote

75baja wrote:
Working on my mild baja build and need to order some shocks for the the stock bj front end. Do I need these boots to go with the front shocks?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No. The shocks should come with the correct top rubber mounting.
Not sure but it looks like that boot is for a super beeetle with struts. Or it’s just for looks.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

I agree that boot and bump stop are for McPherson strut Super Beetle, not for a beam suspended Bug.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Thanks, somebody along the line put them on front of my 75 standard. I thought it looked like it needed to be on a super. Gettin ready to order new shocks.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Does anybody used GAZ adjustable shocks? They have 20 positions of softest to hardest.

Maybe they would work well on a stocker...

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

I just picked up a Baja project and I need some advice. I only get an hour or so every couple days on the computer so I have to get to the point. This Baja will be for street and moderate sand use.

This bug has a 6" wider beam with 1.5 wider X 3/4" longer arms, set up for coil overs. I'm looking for a moderately priced shock/coil over, any thoughts?

The rear has aftermarket 3 X 3 arms also set up for coil overs.,

This is my first time with anything other than stock VW suspension.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for your time,

Jerry...
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
ringotuna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

I need advice on mounting coil over rear shocks on my rail.

Should I lift the rear end off the ground before mounting?
Should I mount the shocks fully extended or somewhat compressed?

Thanks
ringo.
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

I'm trying to determine which direction to go with my Baja build and naturally money plays into this decision.

The Bug has 3 x 3 arms on the rear and 1 1/2 x 3/4" front arms I need a ballpark price on King or Fox coilover shocks to fit this car.

Any help would be appreciated,
Jerry....
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

lostinbaja wrote:
I'm trying to determine which direction to go with my Baja build and naturally money plays into this decision.

The Bug has 3 x 3 arms on the rear and 1 1/2 x 3/4" front arms I need a ballpark price on King or Fox coilover shocks to fit this car.

Any help would be appreciated,
Jerry....

Does it have existing shocks that you want to replace? Does the car have shock mounts built? Or are you looking to build mounts to fit?

If it has existing shocks, you will need to take those off and measure full extended length mounting bolt to mounting bolt.

If it doesn't have current shocks, but has mounts, you will need to measure the distance from upper to lower mount extended, and compressed (bottomed out against the stop).

If you don't have existing mounts...You need a fabricator to figure out where to mount the shocks and figure out what travel length shocks you want. If not capable of doing that yourself, and your question here suggests that you are not, then you need a professional to do it for you.

Shocks are available from many sources. Kartek is one.
SoCalBajas Member
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Is there a company that sells the springs on the coilover shocks in a higher lbs rating? I'm guessing they are not a very stiff spring right? I'm looking to be able to hold a lot more weight than a beetle was probably ever meant to.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MotoMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

I just bought a set of Bilsteins for my 72 Baja, mail order deal, the rears are correct but the fronts are not even close. Part number 24-006200 is what it calls for in the catalog and pretty much any where else I look, but they are 3" shorter than what I have now and the stud on the top of the shock wouldn't work even if it was the right length. Good luck getting any one to talk to you where I bought them from (shockwarehouse.com, buyer beware)

Anybody out there have any suggestions?
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

MotoMike wrote:
I just bought a set of Bilsteins for my 72 Baja, mail order deal, the rears are correct but the fronts are not even close. Part number 24-006200 is what it calls for in the catalog and pretty much any where else I look, but they are 3" shorter than what I have now and the stud on the top of the shock wouldn't work even if it was the right length. Good luck getting any one to talk to you where I bought them from (shockwarehouse.com, buyer beware)

What specs do you have now? Do the shocks you have measure up to what they should?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

MotoMike wrote:

The front bilstein s. On mine are B46-0493VW
MotoMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
MotoMike wrote:

What specs do you have now? Do the shocks you have measure up to what they should?

I got it figured out, just a lack of knowledge on my part with ball joint shocks. They are the correct shocks, I just had to order the mounting stuff that goes on the end of the shaft
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

MotoMike wrote:
Mikedrevguy wrote:
MotoMike wrote:

I got it figured out, just a lack of knowledge on my part with ball joint shocks. They are the correct shocks, I just had to order the mounting stuff that goes on the end of the shaft

Post pics. I’d be I ter3sted to see what the issue was.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Panzerschreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

MotoMike wrote:
Mikedrevguy wrote:
MotoMike wrote:

What kit did you end up purchasing for the Bilsteins?
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Is there a correlation between lift amount in the back and additional shock length needed or does it not work that way? I.e. 2” lift via preload and need 2” longer shocks?
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:
Is there a correlation between lift amount in the back and additional shock length needed or does it not work that way? I.e. 2” lift via preload and need 2” longer shocks?

I would suggest that there is a correlation but not direct.

One Is the shock is not at the wheel location and because the wheel is farther out and there are angles involved the wheel travel is greater than the shock travel.

Two Until you start to notch the spring plates you do not need a longer than stock shock
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

I would suggest that there is a correlation but not direct.

One Is the shock is not at the wheel location and because the wheel is farther out and there are angles involved the wheel travel is greater than the shock travel.

Two Until you start to notch the spring plates you do not need a longer than stock shock

Thanks! I figured there is probably some Pythagorean theorem for figuring it out. I have the Atomwerk 2” raise plates so I will have to play it by ear and measure when I get them on and do the cycle up and down thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: