Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
Double-Double wrote:
Is there a correlation between lift amount in the back and additional shock length needed or does it not work that way? I.e. 2” lift via preload and need 2” longer shocks?

I would suggest that there is a correlation but not direct.

One Is the shock is not at the wheel location and because the wheel is farther out and there are angles involved the wheel travel is greater than the shock travel.

Two Until you start to notch the spring plates you do not need a longer than stock shock

Thanks! I figured there is probably some Pythagorean theorem for figuring it out. I have the Atomwerk 2” raise plates so I will have to play it by ear and measure when I get them on and do the cycle up and down thing.

Well I think with the raised plates , that Will extend the downward travel and lowest location of your shock mounts / trailing arms similar to notching the spring plates. You will have to check you final travel to see what will fit . Both compressed and extended. To be honest I think this is a little different on every individual vehicle. Mine is different even side to side, I think because of twisted tranny forks, and other bent or worn parts . I found , after only testing one side to find shock travel needed that when put the same shock on both sides that the one side had the extra 1/2 travel, beyond the stop limit that I intended. That the other side only had about a 1/8” extra travel . Both sides had exactly the same spring plate notch.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Double-Double wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
Double-Double wrote:
Is there a correlation between lift amount in the back and additional shock length needed or does it not work that way? I.e. 2” lift via preload and need 2” longer shocks?

I would suggest that there is a correlation but not direct.

One Is the shock is not at the wheel location and because the wheel is farther out and there are angles involved the wheel travel is greater than the shock travel.

Two Until you start to notch the spring plates you do not need a longer than stock shock

Thanks! I figured there is probably some Pythagorean theorem for figuring it out. I have the Atomwerk 2” raise plates so I will have to play it by ear and measure when I get them on and do the cycle up and down thing.

Well I think with the raised plates , that Will extend the downward travel and lowest location of your shock mounts / trailing arms similar to notching the spring plates. You will have to check you final travel to see what will fit . Both compressed and extended. To be honest I think this is a little different on every individual vehicle. Mine is different even side to side, I think because of twisted tranny forks, and other bent or worn parts . I found , after only testing one side to find shock travel needed that when put the same shock on both sides that the one side had the extra 1/2 travel, beyond the stop limit that I intended. That the other side only had about a 1/8” extra travel . Both sides had exactly the same spring plate notch.

Yeah I figured I would just treat the raise plates as a factory notched plate with a little extra mass and strength. I don’t know if anyone else on here has even run them. I will definitely not throw away my factory plates haha. Just trying to get a smooth ride in the rear to match my thing front.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: