Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
Double-Double wrote:
Is there a correlation between lift amount in the back and additional shock length needed or does it not work that way? I.e. 2” lift via preload and need 2” longer shocks?

I would suggest that there is a correlation but not direct.

One Is the shock is not at the wheel location and because the wheel is farther out and there are angles involved the wheel travel is greater than the shock travel.

Two Until you start to notch the spring plates you do not need a longer than stock shock

Thanks! I figured there is probably some Pythagorean theorem for figuring it out. I have the Atomwerk 2” raise plates so I will have to play it by ear and measure when I get them on and do the cycle up and down thing.

Well I think with the raised plates , that Will extend the downward travel and lowest location of your shock mounts / trailing arms similar to notching the spring plates. You will have to check you final travel to see what will fit . Both compressed and extended. To be honest I think this is a little different on every individual vehicle. Mine is different even side to side, I think because of twisted tranny forks, and other bent or worn parts . I found , after only testing one side to find shock travel needed that when put the same shock on both sides that the one side had the extra 1/2 travel, beyond the stop limit that I intended. That the other side only had about a 1/8” extra travel . Both sides had exactly the same spring plate notch.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Double-Double wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
Double-Double wrote:
Is there a correlation between lift amount in the back and additional shock length needed or does it not work that way? I.e. 2” lift via preload and need 2” longer shocks?

I would suggest that there is a correlation but not direct.

One Is the shock is not at the wheel location and because the wheel is farther out and there are angles involved the wheel travel is greater than the shock travel.

Two Until you start to notch the spring plates you do not need a longer than stock shock

Thanks! I figured there is probably some Pythagorean theorem for figuring it out. I have the Atomwerk 2” raise plates so I will have to play it by ear and measure when I get them on and do the cycle up and down thing.

Well I think with the raised plates , that Will extend the downward travel and lowest location of your shock mounts / trailing arms similar to notching the spring plates. You will have to check you final travel to see what will fit . Both compressed and extended. To be honest I think this is a little different on every individual vehicle. Mine is different even side to side, I think because of twisted tranny forks, and other bent or worn parts . I found , after only testing one side to find shock travel needed that when put the same shock on both sides that the one side had the extra 1/2 travel, beyond the stop limit that I intended. That the other side only had about a 1/8” extra travel . Both sides had exactly the same spring plate notch.

Yeah I figured I would just treat the raise plates as a factory notched plate with a little extra mass and strength. I don’t know if anyone else on here has even run them. I will definitely not throw away my factory plates haha. Just trying to get a smooth ride in the rear to match my thing front.
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Just thought I’d post the current Bilstein shock catalog for any of you looking for part numbers and specs.
At the very bottom is where the VW, 7100 series and custom applications are listed.
https://cart.bilsteinus.com/Portals/0/PDF/BILSTEINORCatalog2020_WEB.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pickuptrucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

thanks for that!
john_aero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

Just going through this thread an looking for a clarification

For a "Class 11" style buy, indexed rear irs and 2" cut and turn front, do stock shock lengths work or is it worth going longer?

Also when doing the cut and index I presume the preload increases giving a stiffer ride. Is there a suggested shock that works in conjunction that helps smoother/soften the ride instead of adding more stiffness/harshness
vturabaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

All,

I have done my best to research without posting. I have a 63 Baja bug, stock front suspension and stock rear suspension. I'd like to order new shocks (the current shocks are shot).

I am hoping to order Bilstein 7100 with reservoir but I am having a hard time determining what the right part number is for my length and valving.

Front: 16.25" Extended, 11" Compressed
Rear: 16.25" Extended, 10.75" Compressed

The car is approx the stock weight of a 63 bug.

I will be driving the bug around town and on fire roads, hopping curbs, along the train tracks etc, it will NOT be a race car but it will be driven with haste. I am not doing 3x3 or any other suspension mods. Just want the car to be stock geo so it's reliable and I can just... drive it. Would love a period correct shock. Bilsteins rock.

Current contenders:
-Bilstein F4-B46-0930-H0, the Bilstein 7100 Classic. No resi, not rebuildable. Is the valving correct for a stock bug?
-Bilstein B46-0493VW. No resi, but valved correctly for a stock bug.
-Bilstein B46-1085R. Resi, rebuildable, 2" too long extended.

Is there a 7100 variant that will work for my car?

Thanks so much in advance. Hoping for a high quality shock that will be valved correctly and dissipate heat well with a resi. Here's a pic of my car Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS Reply with quote

@vturabaja

These are the part numbers from the Bilstein catalog.
if sticking with the stock mounting locations the one for the stock link-pin frontend should bolt in no problem. same with the rear.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's where to buy valve stacks and rebuild parts:
There's a video on their page on the full process for rebuilding/revalving them yourself.
https://www.wheeleveryweekend.com/products/7100-valving

Home rebuildable was a huge selling point for me in getting the 7100 series.

Take note that the VW specific shocks are a special order item. My front shocks for the ball joint beam took 8 months for Bilstein to make them!
But that was also during the beginning of covid.

wheeleveryweekend.com should be able to order anything from Bilstein for you. Give them a call or send them an email. Nice folks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: