Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Lower Axle Beam Support Tubes?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Front Lower Axle Beam Support Tubes? Reply with quote

Looking for feedback on these front axle beam support tubes? Are they worth installing?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Lower Axle Beam Support Tubes? Reply with quote

Those stem from the old class 11 days in the 70's when it was all you were allowed. IMO they are not worth sqat as the body bolts they mount to will sheer or pull out and allow the beam to bend anyway. The Thing supports VW put on the 181 had C-channel run about 15" from the same body bolts toward the rear and welded to the pan. The Thing supports are supposed to do the same thing as the ones you showed, but VW engineers must have been leery about those two body bolts taking the force since they used the C-channel on the pan and those bolts go through it.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Lower Axle Beam Support Tubes? Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Those stem from the old class 11 days in the 70's when it was all you were allowed. IMO they are not worth sqat as the body bolts they mount to will sheer or pull out and allow the beam to bend anyway. The Thing supports VW put on the 181 had C-channel run about 15" from the same body bolts toward the rear and welded to the pan. The Thing supports are supposed to do the same thing as the ones you showed, but VW engineers must have been leery about those two body bolts taking the force since they used the C-channel on the pan and those bolts go through it.

I haven’t seen the c channel you speak of. I thought this is what they were like
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2281093

I made my own braces out of metal similar to the thing type and along with bolting it I welded them to the body. They have an upward brace that I think helps compared to the straight tube only. For light off-roading I think they help.

oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Lower Axle Beam Support Tubes? Reply with quote

yes those are Thing but those are meant to be used with the c-channel. VW did sell those and they have a specific thing part number. I actually saw some being sold on Samba in the package a few years back. If you look up pictures of Thing undercarriage you will see them welded to the pan.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Lower Axle Beam Support Tubes? Reply with quote

The support channels are added to the bottom of the pan.

TDCTDI wrote:

And here on one that has not been cut up (Stolen from gallery).

[/quote]

I made my own.
TDCTDI wrote:
Today, I rubbed a couple of minutes together & after taking this brace support for a walk with the battery strapped to it, I fitted it the car & mapped out where I needed to perforate it.

Then I finished drilling it & mounted it up.

While I had the wheel off, I repurposed some of the leftover high temp paint that I used on the exhaust & spruced up the rotor.

And then, I finally dusted the center of the last wheel.

HOLY CRAPOLA!!!

While it makes perfect sense, I was not expecting such a difference in handling. The front end is much stiffer & steering response improved substantially.

That wraps up today’s chapter of “What does this button do?”.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: