Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

I've looked on the Custom Wheels/Tire forum and came up with squat for information on off road tires.

I "think" I'm looking for a tire similar to the ones on the front of this buggy. I'd ask him, but he's not been here since '14.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are these made now? I'm looking for 7.00/15 old school mud/snow tires. Kind of like the '60/70's Firestone Town and Country snow tire tread pattern.

I have smoothies for the dunes, but need to tire up for some on the road running and trails. The trails are mainly sandy, but we "may" get off the trails and would like to have a front tire that has a bit of grip in the side of the tread etc.

Any pictures or vendors that might get me in the right direction?

Thanks, Dan
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

The fronts are still made, sold under the Mini-Mag name by Mickey Thompson. They are awesome and really tough. Use them on my buggy as well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

I like the look of those. Thumbs Up

I have the common, old-school, mud/snow type tires on mine currently. They've been fine off-road, but I would bet that those tires above are better.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

Mickey Thompson MiniMag E78-15 tires have not been available for over a year now. They were supposed to be available in October 2023, but Mickey Thompson Tire was sold and new owner has not said when if ever they would be available again.
Many in the buggy community would like to see them again including myself.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

I love my powerkings. Price was good and they don't throw rocks.

Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:

Mine sure do. You can even see a rock stuck in the tread in my photo above.
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

The Mickey Thompson buggy tires have been discontinued and are no longer made. This is the 7.00/15 Mini Mag, and 33x9 and 35x10 Baja Pros.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

racecougar wrote:
ORANGECRUSHer wrote:

Mine sure do. You can even see a rock stuck in the tread in my photo above.

That doesn't surprise me with the blocky tread. So far I haven't noticed it.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

I just ordered a pair of Power King 7.00-15's.

I have my only manual tire changer and bubble balancer. That's probably good enough for my use.

Thanks again!

Dan
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

JWHracing wrote:
The Mickey Thompson buggy tires have been discontinued and are no longer made. This is the 7.00/15 Mini Mag, and 33x9 and 35x10 Baja Pros.

Dang, I just looked it up. Sure enough, Cooper tires was taken over by Goodyear. Shame. I always liked Cooper products.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

I saw some rail buggies at a show recently with motorcycle tires on the front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

vanderjw wrote:
I saw some rail buggies at a show recently with motorcycle tires on the front.

Ive been running Motorcycle tires on the front of one of my rails for about 5 or 6 years now. The most off road this rail sees if a field and dirt roads, they tend to push in grass but thats to be expected. I would assume they’d perform about the same in sand as a desert smoothie?
They definitely dont throw rocks and with how the tread wraps around more than a standard tire i feel they’d be more puncture resistant.
I dont have a single complaint except that when you see the actual contact patch size if seems a little sketch .. but i also know ill take the back road corners at an easy 60 mph and they feel stable at 100
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kbwakesk8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

I run overload trailer tires.
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

Don't underestimate the versatility of some 5.00-15 3-rib implement tires. These have been a God-send for a lot of my offroad riding. In sand they make steering easy as well as not throwing sand in your face like a treaded tire. Since the majority of the time, the middle rib is the one taking most if not all of the load, it will even feel smooth and also steer well in most offroad surfaces.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

I'm running BFG's on my street/trail rail and they work nice. They don't throw rocks but one of them threw a piece of Cholla Jumping Cactus that required field surgery to remove from my arm!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sand Rail For Trail Riding Front Tires? Reply with quote

I am running 5 rib 700 x 15 implement tires on mine. They work just fine for trail riding, the ribs are more shallow than the 3 rib so throw even less sand and rocks than the 3 rib tires. It's not all roses though. They are not legal for the street and do not balance well at all. They are only good for low speed off road use. Anything much above 40 mph sees them changing shape resulting in mild shakes.

They are good enough for what we do but next tire change I will look for something different. I also found they wear fast when flat towing making it necessary to have a set of spare street tires mounted on rims for that purpose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: