Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fastest Bus In The Universe!
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Simon wrote:
bad dog racing wrote:
I have to agree on the Disc brakes dragging too.

I just reconfirmed that disc brakes drag all of the time. I replaced the pads and lubed the caliper slide bars before flat towing a '86 Suzuki Samurai over 900 miles over Thanksgiving holiday. Along with keeping a watchful eye on my new towbar setup, I'd periodically check the tire, wheel bearing, front rotor, and rear drum temperatures at every stop (old trick that keeps you from having a towing disaster). The front rotors were always warm to the touch, I'd say about 110degF, even when it was 50deg air temp. Not the rear drums, however. 100%of the braking came from the tow vehicle, and air movement around the Sami should have cooled the rotors. The fact they were always warm confirms the disc brakes are always creating a little drag, even when not in use. This old Sami does not have pad return hair springs that some modern calipers on later cars have.

Jimmy Larsen, VW drag race car builder extraordinaire, had this too say about the drag realized from disc brakes, for class dragracing.

"The trick to get the pads to back off is when you're done with the build, you just smack the rotor with a hammer, get it running out about ten, or fifteen thou. You hardly feel it in the pedal but it forces the pads away from the rotor"

Crude, but this, in fact, does work. Who am I to argue with one of the best VW drag car builders around...

usually 2lbs for disc.<- residual pressure. 10 lbs for drum.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I've turned rotors with less than .010 runnout becasue the customer has complained about pulsating brakes. I had a Westy that had .020 out of round rar drums, my foot moved up and down on thhe pedal about 2 inches.......... I just opened one front and one rear bleeder screw for a second to relieve the pressure form my calipers, then they freewheel, just used the park brake to stop after that.

brad
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad dog racing wrote:

I just reconfirmed that disc brakes drag all of the time. I replaced the pads and lubed the caliper slide bars before flat towing a '86 Suzuki Samurai over 900 miles over Thanksgiving holiday. Along with keeping a watchful eye on my new towbar setup, I'd periodically check the tire, wheel bearing, front rotor, and rear drum temperatures at every stop (old trick that keeps you from having a towing disaster). The front rotors were always warm to the touch, I'd say about 110degF, even when it was 50deg air temp. Not the rear drums, however. 100%of the braking came from the tow vehicle, and air movement around the Sami should have cooled the rotors. The fact they were always warm confirms the disc brakes are always creating a little drag, even when not in use. This old Sami does not have pad return hair springs that some modern calipers on later cars have.

Jimmy Larsen, VW drag race car builder extraordinaire, had this too say about the drag realized from disc brakes, for class dragracing.

"The trick to get the pads to back off is when you're done with the build, you just smack the rotor with a hammer, get it running out about ten, or fifteen thou. You hardly feel it in the pedal but it forces the pads away from the rotor"

Crude, but this, in fact, does work. Who am I to argue with one of the best VW drag car builders around...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this was done on the longer full competition course. They used the Westy to check the timing light operation. Blaine was on the salt to act as a safety course worker when they offered him this opportunity.

With the Westy's 5:something R&P, I am sure he ws topped out lo-o-o-o o-ng before he ever reached the one mile marker.

But that brings up a good subject. Anyone who would like to participate at the World of Speed in September but does not have a racer or someone to crew with, the USFRA always welcomes volunteer help in many different capacities. If you would like to get involved, just go to www.saltflats.com and check in with the folks that put the event on.

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
avus wrote:
bad dog racing wrote:
It's more about a safety thing for how the Bus will be used after the Bonneville project, after all it is a street Bus.

A "real" street bus, just like Dick Beith's early sixties 36hp racers. Does this mean you will also drive it to Bonneville, race and then drive it home? That would be ultimate kool!

Gonna be fun watching the "Fastest Bus" project progress!

Burly

penultimate cool would be driving it there and back and camping in it too!
Hey, how about the fastest pop-top in the universe??

Ya mean like this Jerry?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blaine Hunsaker held the record at 89.533 mph, set in 1987, until Derek took it away in 2008. He used a dual Dellorto carbed 1776cc engine in his dailey driver(with a trailer hitch!). I think the aero from the pull out awning is what helped keep the Westy on the ground.

Burly

that's a badass Westy. Was the record set on the one-mile course, Burly?
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avus wrote:
bad dog racing wrote:
It's more about a safety thing for how the Bus will be used after the Bonneville project, after all it is a street Bus.

A "real" street bus, just like Dick Beith's early sixties 36hp racers. Does this mean you will also drive it to Bonneville, race and then drive it home? That would be ultimate kool!

Burly

Ya mean like this Jerry?

Blaine Hunsaker held the record at 89.533 mph, set in 1987, until Derek took it away in 2008. He used a dual Dellorto carbed 1776cc engine in his dailey driver(with a trailer hitch!). I think the aero from the pull out awning is what helped keep the Westy on the ground.

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avus wrote:
bad dog racing wrote:

Burly

...with RGBs Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad dog racing wrote:

Burly

36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Current Bus REcord Holder Reply with quote

I just saw on FB that Derek Campbell is putting his Bonneville bus up for sale.

Eric Allred photo from 2008

This would sure save some racers a lot of time. And Gregs and Jason are going to need some competition. If you need his email, just PM me.

Burly
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad dog racing wrote:

Burly
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SurfCityRacing wrote:
What's my muthafukinname? Bad Doggy Doo-ooo-oog!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with one of the workers at Wolfgangs yesterday and they seem very excited about this. Agree on the Disc brakes.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
ONEBADBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why disc brakes? You don't hardly need brakes at Bonneville, and discs always have some drag. With drums, you can adjust all the friction out of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and have fun Greg.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Fastest Bus In The Universe! Reply with quote

Yeah!
It's pretty much on.
World's Fastest Bus In The Universe.

We have collectively gathered some of the very BEST in the VW Industry to set a major (USFRA & HVW'S) World Record.

Yeah.
We are looking at a minimum goal of 130MPH.

It's been talked about before, but unsecured.
Those that know me and know my resources know this is the real deal.
I have teamed up with some of the best in the VW World to set the World Record.
This is a major under taking but for the most part but,
It's a Lock!

I have aligned with Jason Lang of Drag Bus Fame and Steve Phillips of Wolfgang International and we have come together to focus on the 2012 World Of Speed to set the fastest recorded speed of a VW Powered Bus.

We offer that we will set this record with Original Reduction Boxes.
This is no joke.

The Drag Bus will be delivered to Wolfgang International on 11.22.11 for it's first phase of evolution.

Phase One includes rebuild of steering box, king and link pins, disc brake conversion and a number of other TOP SECRET improvements.

For sure.....The First and maybe the only VW Powered Bus ever,
to see 130MPH at Bonneville.

!

SurfCityRacing wrote:
What's my muthafukinname? Bad Doggy Doo-ooo-oog!

Last edited by bad dog racing on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: