Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Pole Dancer
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: The Pole Dancer Reply with quote

We picked up our first split window beetle (project) yesterday - She's a (June) 1952 Sunroof Beetle with an interesting local history. The previous owner had owned her for the last 35 years (my wife and I were 5 when he purchased her), but prior to his ownership she had spent a number of years of her life mounted on a pole on the roof of the Speedway Motors Dealership in Victoria B.C. It appears that every few years they brush painted her a different color, and also had the headlights wired to shine from up on the pole. She started her life as an Azur car, but has thick layers of non automotive paint in white, burgundy, day-glo orange, and blue. She is very rough at this point but she is an original split dash sunroof 52.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a cool history, good luck bringing her back!!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yea, I have a '59 that has a very similar story. Any pics of how it was mounted to the pole?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on man! I went and looked at it last summer when jac originally had it for sale and he told me the story behind it.

Can't get much better than a CC 3 fold!! What's the plan for it?
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
Right on man! I went and looked at it last summer when jac originally had it for sale and he told me the story behind it.

Can't get much better than a CC 3 fold!! What's the plan for it?

We have a few projects going right now so I think for now just hunting for missing pieces and making it solid as appropriate metal comes available. I don't think we will "restore" the car, but have no plans to alter it or do anything to further destroy it's integrity. I enjoy ratty and restored but ratty is cheaper Very Happy
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool shiz, if I had the coin I would have snagged it. I had been daydreaming of swapping pans with my 55 rag (doing it up stock) and doing the split just like you are thinking....replace the rot and preserve the historic paint Cool but with a nasty IDA'd motor of course Wink

I have a pair of ribbed door shells that I had offered to the seller if you need for those floppy doors
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Chris !!!, saw the link that link on AS forums, great car for the price. lets see some more photos!
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet there's not a lot of wear on the suspension! It's been unsprung for all these years! Laughing
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day-glo orange paint? Are you sure it's not a WW2 era VW that had a lengthy stint in Lithuania post-War? Hope this isn't a new trend catching on.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, uncanny resemblance to the story of this car

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461391&highlight=

also sitting on a rooftop, painted in God knows how many coats of paint, headlights made to light up....
Great save!
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
I bet there's not a lot of wear on the suspension! It's been unsprung for all these years! Laughing

I'm sure there wouldn't be but it is no longer with it's original pan. I think whatever modifications they made to have it up on the pole probably trashed it(?).

Will get some more pics up soon Pete. Here's a pic from today playing around with it. original front fenders are really nice (just have some holes through the back of the buckets for whatever lights they ran when it was up on the sign). Deck lid is in nice shape too. Have found a rear clip and one early rear fender ( pre 58 ) for it so far, doors from Josh (thanks man Wink ). Car is worst around the heater channels, bottoms of the doors, and the hood and bottom of the spare tire tray is rusted out. having all that extra paint on it seems to have protected it in other areas. Came with the glass in it (mixture of stuff), and all the big logo Sekurit glass except one of the door window pieces, four riveted 16" wheels, all the body trim except for the hood piece, some really decent glove boxes with trim, oval seats and door panels, and a mish-mash of other bits and pieces. Missing all the sunroof mech, and the speedo and clock pod (hole in the one glove box for the winder), and all the other dash bits. Has screw holes in the dash from once having a bud vase.

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Interesting Car Reply with quote

What an interesting history. I don't see any answer as to how it was mounted on the pole. Did you manage to find out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting Car Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
What an interesting history. I don't see any answer as to how it was mounted on the pole. Did you manage to find out?

There are a couple of holes at the front on the sunroof section, but I think most of the support for the pole was probably on the original pan.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better clear out those projects and send the loans officer at the bank another box of chocolates.... Wink Congrats
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kicking myself now 4 not buying that thing......you're killing me Evil or Very Mad

he had a barndoor speedo with it before......u not get that? those seats had some kind of home brew recliners on them?
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
I'm kicking myself now 4 not buying that thing......you're killing me Evil or Very Mad

he had a barndoor speedo with it before......u not get that? those seats had some kind of home brew recliners on them?

I think he said Johnny and a friend of his bought them a while back. Something else to hunt for Wink
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah probably Andrew Hawthorne (they have a couple BD's) Funny story, Johnny bought 4 ribbed doors and a w lid and some misc other bug stuff from Jac then I bought them from him weeks before I went to look at this car then I figured out where they came from Laughing
Quintus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool car with a great history!
1959 Karmann Ghia 'Low Nose'
baked beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I have an all original 66' I bought from the original owner. She traded in her 56' for a 66' at Speedway Motors! I have the Lic. Plate frame and salesman's business card as well as all literature,,,. Now I have a vintage photo of the dealership. tyvm Smile
57' Theirs
63' Hers
62' Drag Bug - Theirs 13.1 @ 101 mph (GONE)
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find Chris.

Wondering if the roof was open as the sign post looks to go through the opening.

At what point did they decide to rip the roof off and mount a sunroof split on a pole?? wow Shocked Shocked

Do you know when they took it down?

Trevor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: