Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Faron's Build Thread (Purple Money Eater)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on the body, and I think I am just about finished with all the body work. I am going to try and take it out to my brothers house sometime this week, as he is planning to prime his Jeep this week as well. Hopefully it is as close as I think it is.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the local paint store and pickup some "guide coat" in a spray can/cans and spray the whole car with it. Sand with 400 grit......you'll see how close or far away you are.......
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is so nice, that is a great idea. I didn't even think of that and that is so much easier then loading it up to take it to my brothers house. Napa paint store by the office will be getting a visit from me today. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would shoot some gray rattle can on it and then the guidecoat.

Sand off all the rattlecan before priming with a good hi build poly primer.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that is exctally what I will do. Thank you
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little done, really looking forward to driving it around the block soon.

BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with Tom, and my Black Carpet Kit should here in a week or so. I was going to order a Sombrero Top, but Tom suggested that I wait until I have the car built to get the correct measurements. I agreed, and I appreciate the honesty. Thanks Tom, you are really easy to work with.
I will have to remove a few things before I can install, but the carpet kit will look AWESOME!

So looking forward to seeing a finished product!

Soon, but not soon enough.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been talking about painting my Buggy Creamcicle Orange, and this is the base color that I am going with.

I still have Creamcicle Orange all over me, but that is okay as the paintjob does not have one run.

Well, here is the base coat in the sun. I was very unsure on the color at first but now that it is on the car I am really happy. My parents got the paint for me from their buddy who owns a paint and body shop, and a auto paint supply store.

Now I need to go to my brothers to pick it up, wet sand it, airbrush the graphics on it and then put it all together.

I am ready to be driving it rather then building it!
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the build & especially those wheels!
Orange is much nicer than purple. Wink

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is where I am at this point.

I started on some graphics today and hope to have them finished by tomorrow evening. My plan is to have the whole thing back in one piece by the end of the weekend. We will see what happens. I need to get a set of gauges for it, anyone have a guess as to where the best place to buy them are?
Kreelak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try speedhut you can customize them to your taste and get a gps speedo and not have to deal with the speedo cable
http://www.speedhut.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pretty good setback today. When I went to change the fluid in the transaxle I found a few pieces floating around. (I know I should have changed the fluid long ago and I wouldnt of had this problem.) So I had to remove take a few steps back.

Here is where it sits now. To be honest I am glad I found it now rather then out on the road somewhere. Ohh well pushing forward!

I still think that I will be at the round up in September (Boerne Texas), in fact I have already blocked out that time on my calender. I would really like to finish it sooner so that I can take my youngest daughter to school in it for her first day of 8th grade. Time will tell...
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame, sorry about the setback. Have you identified what the parts in your palm are from? Keep plugging away at it, I am still envious of your progress if that helps your morale at all..... Smile

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking at this post and realized that it has been 86 days since I last worked on my Buggy. I had no idea.....
lilstnkr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this. I have the utmost faith in you. Besides, third time's a charm right!? Keep on truckin Twisted Evil ' man. Don't give up on this one. You have a sweet buggy there. Great work so far.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I have not lost the want to finish this Buggy. I have just had a ton of stuff going on here at the house, and the extra money is going to other projects. We made the decision to move back to San Antonio, Texas from Albuquerque, New Mexico. So "getting the house ready" has taken top priority. In a perfect world we will move over the Thanksgiving holiday. On a positive note, in order to move I will have to get a new tranny and everything installed just to get it on a trailer to move it to San Antonio.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I last posted about my Street Buggy. We have moved back to South Texas, and I think things will start to roll again. In fact I just pulled it out of storage and put in the garage.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my buggy after a disappointing stay at a guys house who was suppose to be doing a few things for me. It took him forever to do just a few things, so I went a head and picked it up thinking I could do a few things to it over the long weekend.
I am planning to build a trunk where the rear seat is designed to be, and perhaps give building side pods a try. That is unless someone reading this has a niece pair they would like to sell me.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW it has almost been a year since I last posted about my Buggy. I have in fact built the sidepods for my Buggy, and feel that the body is just about ready for paint. Next I will do a couple of repairs on the hood & Dash, I would say that I am about 80% complete. Seeing as I started a Facebook Group called Texas Dune Buggy Owners that is seeing a lot of activity, I have a new fire built to finish this thing. Let me know what you think.

BIG-O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4955365#4955365
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: