Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winterizing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Winterizing Reply with quote

Snow is here, so that's it for the Thing. I will be storing it in my heated shop for the winter and doing some work to her over the cold months. No engine work, some electrical and a roll bar. I am wondering if there is anything I should do for her while she sits. With my snowmobile, I give it a yearly fogging for summer storage, anything similar I should do for the thing?
Thanks
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the negative Batt cable, mix in some Sta-Bil(fuel stabilizer) and run it a bit to get the Sta-bil into the carb. Throw a cover on her and enjoy your snowmobile!!!
With Our Thing not being a daily driver, I chose to add a Batt disconnect on mine, so if she'll be sitting for a month or more, I just switch the disco.

Short answer......
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

move to florida, or another warm place and drive year round. 79 and sunny today.
I know that is something not everyone can do.
I would also pump the tires up hard, all tires lose air, if they sit a few pounds down can cause flat spots. I myself, when I lived in a cold place would do a fresh oil change. old oil holds bad stuff in it, and when a nice day hits in the spring, she is ready to go, get yourself a "battery tender" the brand name one, not a cheap trickle charger. put on the battery, in summer you can use on snowmobile . stable in the gas is a must do. be sure to run to to get it to the carb. store with top up, windows in to keep rodents out, last thing, I would clean it good too.
THOR
hope this helps
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always best to just remove the battery. That way if you don't fire her up next spring, but let her sit for a year or two you will not find the battery hanging out the bottom of the car when you do want to drive her again.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will help http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159834

Some folks go a little overboard in my opinion. I just do fresh oil, grease, fuel stabilizer in a full tank of gas, plug the exhaust and disconnect the battery.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also heard that Bounce dryer sheets help keep the rodents away as good as mothballs, so I put 5 or so around inside the cabin. That could be totally wrong, but they sure do make it smell better in the spring. I hook up the battery to a trickle charger, then plug it in every month for a day or two to keep it topped up. When my dad had it, he'd take the battery out, but didn't keep a charge in it and a cell would go bad. He bought a lot of batteries in springtime.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a trickle chager is fine for short charges, but if left on will cook the battery. spend the money, buy a "battery tender" they have a smart chip, that won't over charge it, can be left plugged in all winter with out thinking about it, ready to go in spring, when thing comes out, move it to snowmobile.
just don't start car with tender plugged in, that can fry them, my brother did it to 3 of them, I unplug from wall before a start. I leave mine, waterproof one in the car all the time. plug in when near an outlet. my ex father in law, used a trickle charger on his wave runners every winter. had to buy new batteries every spring. best of luck to you there is a lot more you could do but it is over kill
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, "winterizing" for me means adding another towel to help the defroster to clear the inside of the windshield. That and more blankets Laughing . I drive year around
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly for us winterizing looks like we are selling. Moving up to 4000 feet this month. No heater or windows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
livy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm driving mine all winter. I heard VW are great on the snow???
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winterizing...i put the top up. clean towel (defroster) for the season too.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
hahaha, "winterizing" for me means adding another towel to help the defroster to clear the inside of the windshield. That and more blankets Laughing . I drive year around

Lol, same here!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FV195 wrote:
spend the money, buy a "battery tender" they have a smart chip, that won't over charge it.

I wonder about this advice. I pulled the (older, fairly cheap) battery from my car when I did a bunch of work on it for over 10 months back in '07. I set the battery on concrete thinking I'd replace it soon anyway and have to charge it up before use.

10 months later, I was excited about getting back on the road, so I reinstalled the battery and just for kicks tried to start the new-to-me engine - without recharging the battery. I figured it'd light up the gauges and maybe crank for a moment or two. It held out for over 5 minutes of cranking to get the engine to kick over (priming new systems). That old, fairly cheap, now abused battery rose to the occasion and just kept chugging. I ran it for another 4 months before replacing it with an Optima Red Top - but only because I wanted a sealed cell.

So I do know that batteries will self-discharge - I've seen it first hand. But I'm not so sure you'll notice that much of a difference over a couple of months so long as the battery is truly disconnected and has a decent charge. I don't believe the myth that setting a battery on concrete will discharge it.

However, it may be that freezing the battery could shorten its life. I wouldn't be surprised if the trickle chargers provide enough heat to keep the electrolyte from crystalizing. Internally, the expanding ice crystals can push around the components and muck it up. Seen that too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A badly discharged battery can freeze which will cause mechanical damage to the plates and maybe even split the case. Pulling the negative cable off will prevent the battery from running down as fast and using a trickle charger occasionally will replace whatever charge is lost. Setting a battery on concrete will not cause it to run down, this is little more than an old mechanics' tale left over from the 1950's.

I try not to leave a battery sitting on concrete or metal though, not because it will cause the battery to run down, but because the battery can damage the concrete or metal if and when it leaks acid.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is for the hardcore that drive all winter long. when I liver in cold climate, I added a 12 volt booster fan to the defroster on my 74. could stand streamers up, and it helped pull the heat in, can get them at west marine or something like that
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FV195 wrote:
this is for the hardcore that drive all winter long. when I liver in cold climate, I added a 12 volt booster fan to the defroster on my 74. could stand streamers up, and it helped pull the heat in, can get them at west marine or something like that

I'd like to see pictures of your setup. I've been looking for an in-line fan that I can hook up to the existing defrost hose. Unfortunately, the only one I can find involves international transactions. I'm not fond of using plastic bilge motors

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't have it set up anymore, changed things, sold one, bought one, moved to florida, so never set it up, still have the blower, will try to post photo, in the boating world they call them bildge fans
got pictures but, can't figure out how to post them Question and it is a plastic fan, with rubber reducers to fit the hoses, had a 4 position switch off, low, med, hi. plastic, but worked real well. might hook my heat up again, GF gets cold at night, have a roof, but never put it up.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info fellas, and the advice. I think I will stick to BC though, I like our snow much better then Floridas. Better for snowboarding.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better to put a tarp underneath the car rather then on top of it
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
It's better to put a tarp underneath the car rather then on top of it

It is better to park it on well drained soil than to park it on the shallow swimming pool a tarp will cause.

I just cover the top of mine down to the window sill level and that keeps any wind driven rain out while still allowing some ventilation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: