Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speaking of skiing and Vanagons - camping at/near ski areas?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Speaking of skiing and Vanagons - camping at/near ski areas? Reply with quote

We try to camp a fair amount in the winter. Camping at a trailhead for backcountry trips isn't usually an issue, but we would like to spend some more time camping at ski areas.

Anyone have any recommendations for camping-friendly ski areas in CO, NM, WY, MT, ID, WA? I've had good luck at Wolf Creek, Purgatory, Bridger Bowl, Pajarito. Have been asked to leave Crested Butte, Santa Fe and Taos.
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of skiing and Vanagons - camping at/near ski ar Reply with quote

ranchero wrote:
.. but we would like to spend some more time camping at ski areas.

Many ski areas in California have overnight RV parking.

I have had decent luck just calling ahead with customer service and asking if they allow single night or double nighting in regular parking.
I explain we are self contained and no partiers.

"Likely to eat at the resort restaruant/bar" (not really, but I think it helps "sell the idea")

Anyway,, I find its better to ask before, and get a name.. That way if security comes knocking you have "permission" and/or have paid the appropriate fee.

RV parking on the other hand comes kinda pricey and you're stuck with the generators, etc.

Also worth looking into open winter campgrounds in the vicinity.

Good times.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranchero -

Have you tried Ski Cooper? Being a small place maybe they would let it slide - maybe your lift ticket/pass on the dash? Places that small have to welcome you in some way, Leadville has 4 hotel rooms so where would you stay? Pajarito in New Mexico I think is similar sized. I would like to know what you find as I am not finding much while blindly searching google.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can stay in the lot at Arizona Snowbowl in Flagstaff for up to 14 days. It's a ton of fun. The ski area is "small" but the backcountry is big..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Targhee is camp friendly for Wydaho. Not sure about Jackson...might have to go stealth in neighborhoods around the village. At least there are lots of empty houses with nice heated driveways.

here's a good thread from TGR on the subject:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/203066-Ski-RV-s-who-s-sleeping-in-parking-lots
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: ski Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm with top bud try AZ. snow bowl great town ski area is only 6 miles away , I have friends stay their all the time. And if that doesn't work our drive way is only 3 miles to the place. Nice flat place to park with elec. Blue Bay Bus
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno.....I don't see any Vanagon content here, unless you count the signature lines. Confused
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Oregon, Meadows, Timberline and Mt. Bachelor allow overnight camping as long as you have a snowpark permit...
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping near JHMR is difficult. I'm a seasoned urban camper and it would be tough to pull off. Really the best would be to park in town at a hotel. Rodeo Grounds (sadly) is a no camping zone- same for the Library.

Contact me when passing through- especially if you are skiing.

There is no on street parking in the town of Jackson Nov - April. However for the low key and creative, numerous opportunities exist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86syncrowesty wrote:
Ranchero -

Have you tried Ski Cooper? Being a small place maybe they would let it slide - maybe your lift ticket/pass on the dash? Places that small have to welcome you in some way, Leadville has 4 hotel rooms so where would you stay? Pajarito in New Mexico I think is similar sized. I would like to know what you find as I am not finding much while blindly searching google.

Ski Cooper is on our Monarch passes this year. I'll try it and let you know what I find.

In addition to the post on tetongravity that skivan posted, here is another one with good info.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/...ale-Thread
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks - this is great info!

One more observation....I didn't personally camp there, but I talked to a guy in a truck camper parked in the lot at Silverton last year and he said he had stayed at the end of the lot for two nights with no hassles.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We camped at Lookout Pass on I-90 in ID. I don't think they knew we were campers but there were several other trucks in the lot. The snowmobiles are insane all night long though. They do hot laps around the mountain ALL NIGHT.
Best $19 courdaroy the next morning though. I wouldn't call it a destination resort, but there is some fun to be had.
I think Carhartt Courdaroy pretty much sums up that "mountain"
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for those who camp in a lot (on mountain or off) are you popping the top? That would kill the stealth. Are you heating the van in some way, propex, etc?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a converted bus (think "school" not VW) and one or two beat up RVs parked most of the season in the free lot at Big Sky resort the past few seasons. Presumably the mountain is cool with it as long as you don't cause problems.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Walmart in Frisco CO, which is 30 minutes from just about everything.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loveland doesn't mind. I've spent a couple nights in the upper parking lot next to the beginner hill. Pretty secluded and far enough away from I-70 that you don't hear the semi trucks too bad.

Winter Park is over-night friendly too, I hear.
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
I dunno.....I don't see any Vanagon content here, unless you count the signature lines. Confused

nevermind getting busted sleeping in the parking lot, the fun police have infiltrated our thread too
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skivan wrote:
Targhee is camp friendly for Wydaho.

I don't think they are anymore, years ago they provided an electrical hookup, but I'm pretty sure they don't officially allow overnight camping anymore. If you were to hang in the bar till a little later and get in the van with no lights on I think you might would be ok though. You could certainly park at the teton canyon trailhead ~5 miles from the resort and be fine, here is a google maps link to the trailhead location. If you end up out here drop me a PM and I can set you up with any info you could want, and depending on the day maybe take some runs with you Cool

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

86syncrowesty wrote:
So for those who camp in a lot (on mountain or off) are you popping the top? That would kill the stealth. Are you heating the van in some way, propex, etc?

Spooning Mrs Ranchero is my preferred way to keep warm Smile Down mummy bags that zip together. WOuld like to find two really warm rectangular bags that zip together to use just in the van.

If we pop the top, we install some of that silver bubble insulation I cut to fit inside the canvas. That stuff definitely helps.

We have a Propex that we use to break the chill in the morning. Too loud to use all night though.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have overnighted at Squaw, with permission. They told me to park in the employee lot, so the snow plows could work the main lot unimpeded.

If I wanted to sleep at Ski Santa Fe, and they did not want me to, I would go slightly down the hill and sleep at Big Tesuque. I never tried sleeping at the Ski area base, because I lived in Santa Fe for 17 years and had a home nearby. But I know of at least one Westy that overnighted, for several days in a row, in the new lot, at the hairpin turn that is closest to walking on to the Broadway run, just above the quad chair.

I think the main objection to overnighters is a practical concern, of the vehicle blocking the snow clearing equipment. With that in mind, I would ask if there is anywhere they would like you to park overnight that is out of the way of the snow plows..

I have overnighted at Taos, I did not ask permission, just parked near a group of other vehicles, which to me implied it was employee parking.. people who were working the night machinery.. Nobody asked me to leave, but when in doubt a phone call to security prior to visiting, would be my way of getting some idea of mountain policy.

Of course, it is easy to overnight in parking lots for hotels. I have camped overnight in Pagosa Springs, in order to enjoy the hot springs after Skiing Wolf Creek, nobody asked me to move.

I have a van friend that makes a point of camping at Kirkwood for snow season.. apparently he has to be stealthy, but gets it done..

I applaud your dedication and willingness to snow camp, and hope you have a fantastic season.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: