Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thingamajigger thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, not a whineamajigger Shocked

I just sent a 4 speed to Matt at AA to get rebuilt for a Bostig build.
It will include a temp sensor and auxiliary cooling.
Specs and photos soon.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Oh no, not a whineamajigger Shocked

I just sent a 4 speed to Matt at AA to get rebuilt for a Bostig build.
It will include a temp sensor and auxiliary cooling.
Specs and photos soon.

Thinking I should be doing the same - getting one soon before this one pops, or I become afraid to drive it anywhere.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare 4 speed from an 84 if you need a core.
It grinds going into 2nd but ran flawlessly other than that.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I have a spare 4 speed from an 84 if you need a core.
It grinds going into 2nd but ran flawlessly other than that.

I may take you up on that, have not been able to find a core around here from my usual sources.

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it.
The late trans core I located took some time to find.
Luckily it was was from one of my trusted sources.

4 speeds are becoming like $yncro boxes...cherished.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing this as well. The automatics and the four speeds are very quickly getting used up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered up a transaxle this past week. Should have done it when I first started hearing the noise. Going to be a few weeks.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awaiting a rebuilt transaxle to come, so I started on some projects I have been holding off on due to time. First week I have had some time to play in a while.

New speedo cable - old one found its way into my coil spring and ceased to want to play anymore.

Temp gauge pod above my steering wheel. Started the swap to black interior parts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CO2 / LP alarm - with new harness for the Zetecs MIL and Oil light wires.

ShurFlo faucet install and finally cut up the cutting board to install in the sink.

Currently in this project:

Took top off for paint, new three window tent and Wasserstopper install, stainless hardware, new seals, rebuild the vent, clean the flocking and stainless footmans loops.

Paint I used is the Interlux single stage enamel. The brush and stipple method worked for me ( brush on 2 sq ft, allow to set 10 minutes, stipple with the end of the brush), after hitting it with an orbital sander and 180 to scuff it up. First I cleaned the top with some simple green and a green scrubbie. Then washed it down with some of the Interlux prep solvent - twice. Sanded it down as mentioned above, washed again with the prep solvent, then a final clean solvent I had in garage from painting other parts, and moved it into garage for paint.

Clean the brush between stipple areas. Better result.

Most all of this stuff I have had in my garage for some time now - just getting to do it! Kid is at camp, so I get to play!

Last edited by chojinchef on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got skylight rebuilt.

Friend came over and we lifted the pop top back on the van.

Despite the pending rain, I started installing the three window tent.

Thunder and lightning seen in near distance, so I buttoned her up for the night. Tucked her away in her little hidey hole.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tent completed. Came out decent - I am pleased. Feel the bottom was a tad small. Really, really tight getting final corner screws into position. Did the rear ones first as I did not want to be struggling in that confined space. The ripples across the tent do bother my perfectionist side a bit, but it's done.

Also tried out the Wasserstopper.

Jury is still out on this add on. The snaps on the side are too tall for me to reach without a large step up and I am 5'9". Rear most snap on side is too close to hinge for adequate hand movement. Will see how frustrated I get after installing during next rain.

Anyone leave this inside the pop top? Would assume it gets in the way though?

All I need now is that damn back ordered flat gasket along front edge of Pop Top. May need to reuse my 2 year old one in the interim.

Feel the need to camp and try out my new ventilation.
87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wasserstopper works fine without snapping the side snaps. The fabric's tension holds it up under the poptop just fine. Maybe if the wind was getting rowdy you'd want to get a cramp in your hand reaching up there, but otherwise don't sweat it.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

87RedWesty wrote:
The Wasserstopper works fine without snapping the side snaps. The fabric's tension holds it up under the poptop just fine. Maybe if the wind was getting rowdy you'd want to get a cramp in your hand reaching up there, but otherwise don't sweat it.

Thank you for the input.

What I do especially like is that the side gutter hooks on the passenger side clip right into the housing for the awning, thereby eliminating that passage behind the awning that rain drops would always fall and undoubtedly drip down my neck.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a week of working on the van, it's time to use it. Picked kid up from a weeks worth of Korean culture camp in Albany, and we headed back east. Camped in Western Massachusetts. Setting up camp while the kid plays:

Climbed Mt Greylock - at 3491 feet it is Massachusetts tallest peak.

Had some lunch:

Did a little peak exploring:

After this picture was taken, I threw up my arms and ran down towards him singing "The hills are alive, with the sound of music" with my arms flailing. Some of the older folks got a laugh, but my son was not amused. He was thoroughly embarrassed. I explained that it was my job - just wait until prom and I am a chaperone; wearing powder blue tux, ruffled shirt (a la Liberace) and Chuck Taylor's.

Then off to the Mohawk Trail

Kitschy rest stops:

And I think I have secured a quality second job for the winter:

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I knew you were in my area chef. The entrance road to mt greylock is a mile from my house. The boys would have loved to play for a while.
Catch you next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out there often.
Will contact next time through. Was a last minute thing due to kids camp pickup.
LP
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - edited a week later with addition of pictures.

Started pulling the tranny out.

Got the new one from Rancho this week - took 7 weeks.

Disassembled the bracketry, sandblasted and painted them tonight. Will be ready for tomorrow to get new tranny ready.

Bought the Powerflex mount, parts to rebuild the shifter mechanism and support, new slave cylinder and a new clutch.

Old linkage bushing looked like crap

And suffering from a severe case of "While I am under there syndrome", I yanked the 14 year old coolant tubes and replaced with SS ones I got on sale at RMW. Next project will be to reseal the oil pan that looks to be seeping.

chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed a better equipped and better organized med kit.

We have one that is maintained by local ambulance service for any of our Cub Scout outings, but the little kit I kept in closet was falling short again and again.

Bought this online

The kit is only mounted with double sided 3M adhesive tape now. It's the largest box I could fit in there without interfering too much with hatch, or with use of the curtain.

Will give it a try. My kid is often returning with battle wounds from the woodland realm. Battles with flora and fauna, critters and creatures of all sorts, so I should be able to put this through the paces in no time.

You can also see my record keeping system. Maintenance, major components and lists of part numbers for plugs, filters, wires and belts.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to VW stable today.

Wife's Honda went bye bye.

She chose the MK7 GTI. I was not disappointed with her choice.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA Grille finally installed prior to Veterans Day parade. Pulled kids Cub Scout Pack trailer.

Started install of underbody Propex last night. Don't care for the large arc that is required in using flex hose. Determining options as my season needs extending!
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That van is getting damn bling-y. And I mean that in a good way.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: