Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever buy, use, or need a roof clip?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Anyone ever buy, use, or need a roof clip? Reply with quote

The roof panel cut from a salvaged hardtop ghia. I see them for sale in the classifieds. I have a stack of 'em that came with a few cars I bought years back. I've done body restos on several ghias over the years and never had the need for one. I even have a lowlight shell that has snow load damage, it would get repaired before it got re-clipped. I don't think I've ever seen a car that was worth rebuilding that needed a donor roof clip.
Has anyone here ever bought a ghia roof clip or actually had the need to weld one back on a car? Just wondering...
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly salvaged Ghia clips and body parts just lie and rot. It does seem a waste to take them to the crusher but people seldom step up at the right time...ask Gary: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426848
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the recent dbandHot VW's? sell those tops to some notch owners.
Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on using a clip I have as a template to build a rack onto. Other than that, roofs are practically useless. About the only time they're handy is undoing someone else's hack. Otherwise, it's the least likely part of the car to rust out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I thought too but years after years they keep showing up for sale.
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered this same thing when I cut up a ghia one time. I took it all to a swap meet and the roof clip was one of the first things to go! I think I took $20 for it as I didn't was to pass up on getting rid of it. Maybe the guy just wanted the headliner bows? I don't know, and I don't care, it's gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1badghia69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ghia has a new roof an nose on it the po did it an never knew till I pulled dash pad an put new door sills on ...the nose I knew about but not roof..unknown to me why it was done as I am not in contact with po ...
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're good for cutting patch metal out of.
ghia4mea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really sad that Gary sent all that stuff to be scrapped.

If he would have only put a total price on his stuff, there is a guy in Nigeria that would have sent him a check for more than Gary asked, and the guy will let him keep the extra!!!
I know it is true cause I read about it all over the net. : )
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you? I looked for one for awhile before going forward with the roadster, couldnt seem to find much close and shipping something that big is too costly.
If I ever get done wit the one Im working one now - and happen to buy another with roof damage, I'd love to show everyone how not to do a choptop ghia Twisted Evil
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! I have! I had a guy cut one off of a 58 for my 59. I bought a 59 low light recently with extensive roof damage beyond repair. My question is, has anyone welded one on? And does anyone have the exact measurements for the window frames? The Big Blue Bentley shows templates for the windows, but no measurements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
YES! I have! I had a guy cut one off of a 58 for my 59. I bought a 59 low light recently with extensive roof damage beyond repair. My question is, has anyone welded one on? And does anyone have the exact measurements for the window frames? The Big Blue Bentley shows templates for the windows, but no measurements.

Yes: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1960_k...l_Body.pdf

Section A72
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...well I'll be....guess I hsould have read a little further! Thanks for your help John!
Olkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I had a deer try to jump over my '63 last May and almost ripped the roof off. I exaggerate...the body shop guy said it would be better to replace the roof than push and pull it back to shape to be sure the glass would stay in after the repair. Olkid
connella08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 70 body thats going to the scrap yard. i cant find anyone that wants it. glad scrap collectors pay for this stuff.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere here they pay .08/lb. If the body is generously 400lbs. thats a cool $32bucks.
denizen224
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know of the process, chop tops typically need extra metal grafted into the original roof. If you use material from another similar roof, the curves line up better than trying to form up plain stock. Other than that or replacing a trashed roof from a roll-over or mosh pit, I'm not sure what other use there would be for one.

Fairly soon (if I can ever get time for my many projects) I'll be cutting up a rust bucket '69 Beetle that has a perfect roof. I'm facing that very quandry, to let the roof go with the rest for scrap or find someplace in my over-crowded shop to save it. But if I save it, for what purpose? Sad
Rockstar Suzuki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready too. Car has a missing sunroof ( popular 80's hole in the roof ). It will be easier to replace the whole section instead of just patching the hole. rest of the car is nice !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: