Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
penneypepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome !! Beautiful piece of work !
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: gypsy bus Reply with quote

Well, the the bus has come back to me ...or more sadly I had to go rescue it. It went through a series of unfortunate events, starting with a snapped clutch cable and a tow home. My friend didn't have time to deal with it because of other things where happening and leaving the state. So it didn't make it into the barn. it sat out exposed in the baking sun of last summer ,then the freezing winter.... Well , things didn't go well for the bus. It got leaks in the roof and the wood started to rot. Luckily the inside cabinetry is all fine. But it'll need a new roof and maybe doors. Rust developed in the rockers and usually areas that wasn't there before. But solid floors and frame still. Didn't get it to start yet because fuel is bad and lines are brittle. Got it on a trailer and heading back to Cali tomorrow. Pics and journal of a new beginning to come.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Crazy Cool man! Watching this one progress for sure. Now we know wassup with the bus...what happend to the crazy cool x girlfriend Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Got home fine with the bus last night. Hopefully Volks Cafe will have a clutch cable ,fuel filter etc.. I'll feel better once i hear it running.

Found another pic from when it was in its prime. Irony is ,its the same angle of the pic of its current state

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

That Bus is f-awesome. Imagine if it were Sooby and slammed ...

Not....
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

I love this bus! I can't wait to see it after you've rebuilt it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

I eagerly await your progress pics, this is absolutely fascinating.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

It's running ! Drained the gas, new fuel lines , taped a cracked vac line. Started right up after that. Anybody ever see gas get like this?

I'll have to replace a lot of the vac lines cause they got pretty brittle so idle was unsteady and the Exhaust manifold needs a weld. But all in all the engine sound s good . I'll do a compression test next to see how that looks.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Test came back around 120 across all 4. I have no idea when or how many miles ago i rebuilt it last. But stoked for those #'s
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Now for the bad and ugly:

Floors are looking Ok:

Ive done a body- off rebuild on my Ghia, so I am comfortable about cutting out rust and welding in new steel. Just will have homework for patch pieces and such.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Klassic Fab is by far the best place for replacement panels. The quality of steel and fitment is miles ahead of its competitors.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

This bus is sweet!! I love it. Great that you were able to get it back, looking forward to following along.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Not much progress as of yet. Got the clutch cable replaced at least. Nice to move her around on its own power though. I have been going through the bus top to bottom looking over every thing. Brakes, suspension , electrical etc. and all fairs pretty good. Although........ I have to say Ive done some ,ahem, creative wiring solutions in the past. What do you do when the worst previous owner hack job you've seen ......was actually YOU Shocked . Well to be fair , when life was on the road, sometimes you just had to get shit done to get going. I'll sort it out and make it right again.

Other than that I've been enjoy this forum. Reading up on peoples projects , learning proper resto technics , and familiarizing myself with the wide range of different characters here.

I thought about how funny it would be ,if I rolled up to 'Skills' garage in this bus and asked to borrow some tools to fix my HHO set up Laughing
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Hoping for a happy ending to this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:

I thought about how funny it would be ,if I rolled up to 'Skills' garage in this bus and asked to borrow some tools to fix my HHO set up Laughing

Shocked

um.... well, I ah, well you see...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

End of the road.

Looking for Ideas here.

Thanks

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=743716
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Fuck that's a sad sight to see, hope you are okay fella.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
VWdaddio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Looked like a great project, sad to see it go.
This has not been a good year!
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gypsy Bus - Update, a new beginning! Reply with quote

Nice!

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: