Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaky Oil Pump cover?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Leaky Oil Pump cover? Reply with quote

So somethings is leaking in that area, pump cover or rear main. Can I get the fan shroud off w/o pulling the motor? Also thinking of replacing the pump w a unit a bit stronger than stock as I do a lot of fwy driving The motor is a low mi. 1776.
Thanks,Happy Thanksgiving!

David K.
Saving up for a Fwy Flyer Tranny
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky Oil Pump cover? Reply with quote

breadloafdeluxe wrote:
So somethings is leaking in that area, pump cover or rear main. Can I get the fan shroud off w/o pulling the motor? Also thinking of replacing the pump w a unit a bit stronger than stock as I do a lot of fwy driving The motor is a low mi. 1776.
Thanks,Happy Thanksgiving!

David K.
Saving up for a Fwy Flyer Tranny

pulling the fans & shrouds without pulling the engine is possible, but not suggested..... it soooooo much easier to just pull the engine to do the fan/shroud r & r...

plus, if it isn't the pump cover, you get to track it down, then clean up the engine with it OUTSIDE the car....

much easier....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger oil pumps can cause problems and aren't really needed.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the "how to hot rod a VW engine" tutorial on blueprinting oil pumps and the stock pump will put out more than enough pressure.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Houstonr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Follow the "how to hot rod a VW engine" tutorial on blueprinting oil pumps and the stock pump will put out more than enough pressure.

I have reread that section of the book 100 times and still don't get it.. wish they had higher Def pics way back when.

As for leaky pump covers, I still haven't defeated mine after two attempts.
Willo357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh i have never seen one that doesnt leak (in that general area), dont worry about it too much.
i have never tried sanding the steel cover plate with glass but all advice ive used from the "how to hot rod" book has been gold so get on it.

Also if your case dosent have the second plunger (to relieve excess oil pressure) it will leak (somewhere) if you rev it hard.

I rekon that the leek they all seem to get in that area is from the crankshaft seal (or lack of) there is a reverse thread cut into the fan and if it gets crusted up the oil just blows straight past. Thats why Type 4 engines went for a rear seal aswell.

There is more than enough oil pressure from the stock system (prob too much with multigrade oil) plus you will never get the pump out without splitting the case, i know peeps say you can but wait until u try PITA!!!!

Like the how to hot rod book sais save your pennies for parts that actually do something.
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the How to Hot Rod book I'll look in to it as I havnt cracked it in a decade! The car has a fresh rebuilt 1776 then sat for a long while so its leaking front, rear and pushrod tubes not much but enough to piss off the wife and I'm getting tired of the occasional wiff of burnt oil the oil pump area seems to be the worst offender. Thanks for the input!

David K.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: