Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? SOLVED
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? SOLVED Reply with quote

Hey - working on a crank/no start issue on a recently reinstalled 1986 2.1 waterboxer after new heads installed. I am working through the Digifant Training manual as well as the amazing flow chart created by Sanchius and of course the work of Crazyvanman. So I think I have narrowed it down to the Hall Sender. Testing the outer terminals of the Hall plug, I am getting 11.7 V while the battery is 12.6. So is that enough of a difference to be my problem?
I know the following:
Fuel pump works and there is fuel at the T screw.
Plugs are dry
FI NOT spraying
Weak spark from coil
Full battery voltage at starter, alternator, red wire under wiring box in engine compartment and relays
Switched in spare Ig switch - no diff
Switched in spare Ig coil - no diff
Switched in spare ECU - no diff
With CVM's diagnostic tool, the engine will NOT start.
The engine turns freely and strongly but is not getting what it needs.

Since this is a recent engine reinstall, I am aware that I may have not plugged something in, but I have looked over and over carefully and found nothing awry.
Thanks as always - hopefully most of you are in the wilderness and not reading this.

Last edited by bobhill8 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? Crank - no start Reply with quote

Maybe check

- for wire breaks, intermittent breaks, wire resistance, to hall and possibly coil.

- presence, quality of grounds particularly the braided ground between engine and frame.

Since starter turns engine well, I'd say you should see less than the ~ 1 volt difference between battery and hall. So, I'd be curious of wire resistances and/or poor or MIA ground.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? Crank - no start Reply with quote

thanks Neil. I think it's in the wiring too. I will double check the grounds although I have been good about those. I am unwrapping electrical tape from various locations, looking for surprises.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? Crank - no start Reply with quote

Fuel injection relay?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? Crank - no start Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
..... I'd say you should see less than the ~ 1 volt difference between battery and hall.

Or, maybe not, per se. Wink

Bentley p 28.43 shows minimum 10 volts at outer terminals on hall at dizzy. It also shows a hall function test. Dan Haug recently posted of a home made hall tester. Alternately, as crazyvwvanman outlines here, turn rotor by hand, see if FI's spray? But, since your's don't, yeah, maybe fault is at hall, wiring to it or ?

Check the green wire to hall; it connects to ECU 18. A white wire splits off from ECU 18 to idle control module in front of RH tail light. Unplug module, test spark etc again?

VicVan: if Digifant relay at fault, OP wouldn't see voltage at the hall connector?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? Crank - no start Reply with quote

Had continuity from green wire to Hall Sender and ECU. Tried the module behind the tail light but no difference. Signs seem to point to the Hall itself. Going to repeat the flow chart steps tomorrow but then I have to wait for a new distributor.......Thanks to my friends from BC - I'll root for the Canucks tomorrow night.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? Crank - no start Reply with quote

If you have time....

hall tester I referred to. (I misspelled posters name though):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701391

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? Crank - no start Reply with quote

I have seen that cool tester in a pen, but not sure how long it will take to gather the bits and pieces. Also read VicVan's long thread about his issues with the green wires and dash. Helpful too.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: When is battery voltage NOT battery voltage? SOLVED Reply with quote

Just to close out this thread, I did get a new aftermarket dizzy from Gowesty and the problem was gone. Had to do some work getting the timing right, but now it is running smooth with the new wiring to the Hall Sender.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: