Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

massive oil leak
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whirlpool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: massive oil leak Reply with quote

This would have a few of the more experienced dubbers wincing. I have been rebuilding a single port 1500; taking my time as I learn the ropes and waiting for shipped spares to arrive. Last night I decided to add the EMPI head studs that I purchased about 3 months ago. Anyway, I think the 8mm studs are going to cause a few leaks in the 10mm case inserts. Embarassed

I decided on buying new studs as I have absolutely no idea of how to evaluate the condition of the old studs and at the time I bought the 1500SP studs, that are by default 8mm, without double checking my case.

This SP 8mm kit has two lengths of studs, whereas the only available 10mm stud kit is for1600DP and it has three lengths. I have been scouring around to see if there is a particular 10mm SP kit and all I have found is reconditioned studs for sale. The old studs that I have are two lengths of 8’’ (203mm) and 9 3/8’’ (238mm) and on closer inspection they look usable.

Can someone please offer some advice for checking to see if these studs are in a good enough condition for reuse? I would hate to have to pull the engine over something preventable.

thanks

{later} I measured the new 8mm studs and they are 200 and 235 respectively. This could mean the original studs have been stretched by 3mm (aprox 1/8''). So now I am unsure if it is wise to use the old studs.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may post this over in the performance/engines section to get a better response. On the other hand, I've built quite a few engines and have reused head studs with out any issues...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: