Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Slave Cylinder Failure
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished; it was messy but not too bad. If you have a Subaru conversion, take off the air intake before you start and you'll have plenty of space.

Everything works, nothing leaks, one less thing to worry about.

And Van-Cafe...I placed the order Friday morning and had the parts this afternoon. My daughters are currently fighting over the cookies.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
highsierra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger, Congrats on a job completed!

In preparation for replacing the slave cylinder on The White Whale, I decided to bleed the brake and clutch system. Everything was going smoothly until I got to the front brakes. The passenger side bleeder was so badly rusted and rounded off that there was no chance of turning a wrench on it. I figured I'd skip it, bleed the driver's side and then get back to remedying the other. So there I am cursing the ham-fisted PO when the bleeder on the driver's side sheered clean off. Ain't that always the way. Back to the drawing board.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highsierra wrote:
So there I am cursing the ham-fisted PO when the bleeder on the driver's side sheered clean off. Ain't that always the way. Back to the drawing board.

New bleeder screws are pretty cheap, only about $15-20 and they come with wheel cylinders attached. Make sure you have the little rubber caps that go over the bleeders. They keep water out of the bleeders and will keep you from having a repeat problem down the road.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now days with the ?-parts we get it's best to check bleeder screws on ALL when removed from box, no fun installing a new caliper and bleeder break off.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the new wheel cylinder is the best option.

but there's also the bleeder repair, drill out and tap with a 1/8th pipe thread. don't worry about too much about shavings.
just use a magnet & some axle grease to keep bits contained.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-13915-Brake-Bleeder-Screw/dp/B002ESAIVM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bizarre problem the first time I tried bleeding the clutch slave cylinder. I hooked up the Motive power bleeder and pressurized the system. Then I started loosening the bleed screw.

Nothing. Then I loosened the bleed screw.

Nothing. More.

Nothing. Removing the bleed screw and fluid started running out all over everything. I took a look at the bleeder screw and noticed the side hole connecting to the centerline hole was missing. Not plugged - missing. Wonder how the original installer of the slave cylinder bled the system?
highsierra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I agree the new wheel cylinder is the best option.

but there's also the bleeder repair, drill out and tap with a 1/8th pipe thread. don't worry about too much about shavings.
just use a magnet & some axle grease to keep bits contained.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-13915-Brake-Bleeder-Screw/dp/B002ESAIVM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my clutch slave up under the pedal go, replaced it and bled it, a week later the slave went, replaced that, bled it again.
I ignored the suggestions here to do both at the same time and it cost me a lot of time bleeding the system, additional fluid, and general frustration for being without a van for a while.
I agree with the others here that say do both. It's just good common sense.

Thank you,

David
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to double check with everyone as I've never touched this part of the van. I've got fluid dripping from the clutch master. Without pulling too much out, I can see a wet boot on top of the clutch master. Is this definitely a clutch master leak or can the brake master leak down on to the clutch?

Shifting is fine, brakes are a tad spongy but do hold position once pressed (no fade that I notice). Leak has just started and thanks to this thread for the heads up to check that area

Cheers all!

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap I can't get mine off. Well, I got the slave off of the tranny, I just can't get the hose off of the slave or where it connects to the other hose on the underside. Those hose fasteners are really rusted on, just like my brake hoses. Very frustrating. I got the master cylinder replaced no problem and then more rusty fasteners hit me. Was really hoping to have completed the replacement of the clutch cylinders today. Oh well, I just soaked it in PB Blaster to let it soak for a couple days. Maybe after christmas I will be able to loosen the hose.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was kind of a bugger to get off, but not terribly corroded so probably not as bad as yours...If I'm remembering this right, I had the wrench on that nut and somehow secured it so I could hit the end of the clutch slave with a hammer to knock it loose. I do know that there was profanity and bruises involved.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: