Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carbs suddenly started popping
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsfanrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Carbs suddenly started popping Reply with quote

Was driving the car this morning when all of a sudden I lost some power and the rt carb started popping like a fire cracker. I was able to limp home. I have a 1968cc stroker motor with dual Weber 40IDF's. Have worked fine up until this morning. I am getting ready to pull the carbs off to check the jets, but would like some input. I have searched and am currently reading all of the threads that sound like my issue. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can leave the carbs on and pull the jets. Did it seem to clear up once you got some rpm into the motor, like above 2500rpm or so? It could be a plugged idle jet. If it was at all rpm check your fuel pressure and volume, you could have a bad pump starving the carbs. What do you have for fuel filters? Webers are very tempermental, only a small spec of dirt can ruin your day.

Good luck.

brad
kingsfanrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The popping seemed to get worse as I tried to accelerate. Pulled the jets and they appeared to be free of any debris, but I will go through them again. It almost seems like there is too much gas, the popping is for sure from the rt carb, the barrell that is over cylinder #2, and even gives a mist of gas when it pops. I did pull the plug at #2 and boy was it black. It was dry if that makes a difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silver66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take both carbs out. Clean both of them. I mean take them totally apart. Main jets, Idle jets, pump jets, air corrector jets,etc. Blow air through every passage way. These carbs have to be surgically clean. Believe me I know, I've got weber 40 idf's myself. Adjust float if necessary.Don't forget the filter on the fuel inlet. If you think parts have some time and wear in them just get the idf 40 repair kit which comes with the filter and the pump diaphram and some other goodies.
6BUG3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why i hate dual carb bugs. if something goes wrong with one you have to take them both apart. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: