Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

solenoid switch for starter , beetle same as for vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
extender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: solenoid switch for starter , beetle same as for vanagon Reply with quote

have an 81 vanagon, air cooled, 2L, but having trouble with starter. I do have a beetle starter with solenoid switch. would the beetle one fit my vanagon?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 091 starter has a longer snout than earlier starters and can not be interchanged, plus I believe the Vanagon starter is clocked differently from the late bay ones. If you have an automatic, then I am not sure what will work and what won't.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he might be asking if the solenoid switch from the beetle can be used on the Vanagon starter ... not sure though.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
extender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: selenoid switch for starter, beetle same as vanagon Reply with quote

that's exactly what I mean - can I take the solenoid off a bug and adapt it to my vanagon starter. Thank you. Sorry, I didn't make it clear.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all pacing back and forth,(while u try it) waiting on your answer,if it will fit!! Gotta get nuther 'square pill'..by.
extender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: solenoid switch for starter , beetle same as for vanagon Reply with quote

I looked for other similar posts and found one that suggested I take apart the starter in my vanagon and clean and lube the bendix, as well as clean & lubricate the solenoid switch shaft and the bearing at the end of the starter, which I did. Everything was sticky, dirty and dried up. It works perfectly now. My thanks for the person who suggested this.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great glad it worked for you, and yes dry and gritty insides are often the problem.. then corrosion then heat/over wear.

just a note that I stopped at my local Pepboys and picked up anew rebuilt starter (with shiney new solenoid) for $29 + $10core.. though I've got plenty of cores anyways. but they had it right there on the shelf..
*I actually got it for $25 as they sent me a $5 giftcard for my birthday..

the $30 starter was a 76+ Bay Automatic starter.
the AT starter works in either ATs or standards as it's self supported w/o the pilot bushing.
it'll work on vanagons but in 85+ the stock wiring needs to have the key to Solenoid wire end replaced with a thinner terminal lug. not major surgery anyways, but the 85+ solenoid stud is longer and the 76+bay AT stud is not long enough
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the AT starter works in either ATs or standards as it's self supported w/o the pilot bushing.
it'll work on vanagons but in 85+ the stock wiring needs to have the key to Solenoid wire end replaced with a thinner terminal lug. not major surgery anyways, but the 85+ solenoid stud is longer and the 76+bay AT stud is not long enough

I think you will find that the automatic starter will not work with any rig running the 091 bellhousing as the depth from the starter mounting flange to the ring gear is greater than with other bellhousings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: