Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

holy hankook happiness!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: holy hankook happiness! Reply with quote

Wow. Finally took my van out to a highway with the new Hankooks I got a couple weeks ago (yeah, I really don't drive very often...), and WOW! was that ever worth spending money on. I guess there's a reason passenger tires are highly not recommended...

Now I'll just have to tape/ silicone seal up the little vent windows (Not sure if the glass has warped or the seals shrunk, but there's a gap that whistles irritatingly at above 50mph), and then I might not even go out of my way to avoid highways anymore Smile Especially if I can re-mount the CHT gauge from its current place above the glove box so I can read it somewhat accurately, and not have it look like it's flitting up to 450 or even 500 when going uphill and scaring me needlessly. I had a passenger today, and his readings looking at the gauge head on were a good 75 lower that what it looked like from the driver's seat...
daszugspitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur.. The Hankook's reallly made a difference in my ride.. Just did 3,000 miles cross country on them... nice, smooth ride
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that.
put the RA08's on a few weeks ago and just took them on a 500 mi trip.
they're great.
RIP 1986 Saab turbo
and my daily commuter: a Bicycle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
bheck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I put mine on last spring and was very impressed with the ride. I had bargin tires on before. I feel much safer on the highway.
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aren't those 185's ?
the 185's I've seen look too narrow on a bus

got any pictures?
I need tires but I was put off by the one size only
thanks
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one a bit wider and taller....

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=RA08195
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 195s.
they're cheaper here: http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=D38361&dsco=35
RIP 1986 Saab turbo
and my daily commuter: a Bicycle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
anyone have pics of these installed on the stock 14" steel rim?
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 185 is the stock size for steelies, and some alloys had 205's. I just put on 185R14 SV820's, and I think they look a bit skinny at first, but I got used to it! It had 195/75R14 Yokohama Super Diggers on it before, but they were cracked, and starting to bulge. One blew a few weeks ago. I swapped tires from our other vanagon, which has brand new tires on the steel rims, but the PO cheaped out and just put P rated tires on (which sucks, as I'll need to replace them too!). It felt really mushy cornering. The new tires are 8 plies, D rated, and they feel great!

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Look Skinny Reply with quote

185s look skiny, but thats what the german engineers spec-ed.

The gearing/ engine torque/HP range is 'geared' for the little 185 tires.
195s would be OK, but not for towing, and the difference on overall gearing will affect your road speed/engine speed, giving you less effective power at the wheels, but a higher road speed to engine speed.

Bottom line thought:

Both tires Look Skinny!!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rudar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I definitely noticed that the 185's looked cute and tiny compared to the 195 front/ 205 rear that was on there. I was surprised that it made such a difference looks-wise. But then again, these things are *supposed* to look like a massive brick on tiny wheels, and the ride quality certainly outweighs any funny-lookingness in my book Smile
nwester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm breathing life back into this post. Just got new 185/R14 Hankooks installed on my Westy (stock alloys), along with new Bilstein HD shocks all the way around, and I can't believe the difference in all respects. The Hankooks have a very smooth and quiet ride, and the handling is much better. The shocks are a big factor in the better handling, as I can now corner without slowing down to a snails pace. It's like a new vehicle!

I'm not sure why, but I swear it feels like it has more pep as well. Running at 40psi all the way around for general driving (unloaded). The 185's aren't the best looking, but I'm trusting the original engineering specs for tires. I'm thinking smaller footprint, less rolling resistance = a little more pep?? My unscientific assumption. I'm completely happy with the ride and handling, so no complaints.
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much research a couple years ago I went with the Hankook 185's as well - to stay with spec for my van. They are very sturdy tires, and improved the handling of my van without burdening the motor. Good value too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just noticed this from the description in one of the links above -
Speed index: R: this tire is approved for speeds up to 170 km/h

If I were running a larger than stock motor, or a conversion I would run larger/wider tires.

Here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578490

Last edited by jimeg on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
subwayaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I had a set of Hankooks on my 79 Bay and drove it 5800 miles across the US last year on vacation. And glad I had them not as much as one flat tire and handled the roads just great
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put them om my '88 Westy about 3yrs ago when it was ready 4 the road. This being my 5th wbx it has been like a totally diff vehicle.Not a snow tire but i won't be in it anyway. A bonus, i can drive along behind 18 wheelers when i have too without squiggling all over the road. I did try them 1st on my syncro for a bit as the westy was almost ready to tag, same effect.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwester wrote:
... Running at 40psi all the way around for general driving (unloaded). The 185's aren't the best looking, but I'm trusting the original engineering specs for tires...

Speaking of original specs -- you might want to look at the door post for the specified air pressure front & rear. You may find you like the handling even more with that change.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALRIGHT - Holy way to necropost!

I liked my kooks too.

They are about to live on another van......

I can not say I notice a huge difference with the 215/65-16s, but the CLK look is nice, though. But, we have mild tire needs here in So Cal.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
ALRIGHT - Holy way to necropost!

I liked my kooks too.

They are about to live on another van......

I can not say I notice a huge difference with the 215/65-16s, but the CLK look is nice, though. But, we have mild tire needs here in So Cal.

Had to look that one up -

necropost
to post in a thread that has been "dead", by being inactive for a relatively long period.

nwester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jimeg"]
r39o wrote:

necropost
to post in a thread that has been "dead", by being inactive for a relatively long period.

Thanks for looking that up - I was wondering too! This one definitely had mold growing on it, but I didn't want to be accused of starting a new thread on a subject that already existed Smile I did a search on Hankook and picked the most relevant thread. Although I admit I didn't notice it was 7 years old!

I'm going to bring the Hankooks up to the psi on the sticker inside the door per another poster's suggestion, and I'll see if that makes another difference.
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nwester"]
jimeg wrote:
r39o wrote:

necropost

Thanks for looking that up - I was wondering too! This one definitely had mold growing on it, but I didn't want to be accused of starting a new thread on a subject that already existed Smile I did a search on Hankook and picked the most relevant thread. Although I admit I didn't notice it was 7 years old!

I'm going to bring the Hankooks up to the psi on the sticker inside the door per another poster's suggestion, and I'll see if that makes another difference.

I cant remember what my door sticker says, but I think I'm running 45f 50r in my loaded Westy.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: