Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I re-use existing rings....it keeps getting worse
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unbelievable, are you gunna name n shame so others don't finish up the same??
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so your in nastycar country,hmm, might just want to send it offt to someone,the $75 isant bad if it,s done corectly,I was quoted $100-120 .as for the polishing you can do it your self easely & if you have a dial indacator you can check runout easly.breakleen &good blow gun (no not the ones with the poisen darts)can be your good firend when kleening stuff,(wally world still has good breakleen under thier brand and it,s cheep, so get a lot)just cut strips of 600 wet and rap it around the journell and rap a ahoestring around it 2 times and start pulling to spin the 600 around with some lube,(mineral sperits,or somethen, wd is ok but must be totaly washed off real good, then breakleen it real good, wash with soap&hot watter real good then breakleen again to see if you get any thing out of any gallys or holes, then blow dry & bag.you c=an get a mic off flebay cheep.
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line bore is $65 here. really a shame about the crank. I spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning the crank with carb cleaner and a fine engine brush. Why people short cut that is beyond me. Where does the crap go? Right to the rod bearings....Sheesh!

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning the crank, brushing the passages, and putting a spraybottle dusting of marvel oil (to prevent rust) is common procedure here after polishing.
makes is smell good too

Many of the OLD manuals say to dunk the whole piston in a bucket of motor oil before installing. They do say that. What a mess!
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought pistons were supposed to be installed dry?
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rings and cylinders must have at least a bit of light oil on them to prevent rust, so they are never really "dry". Dry and the will become rusty crusty rather quickly.

Another fine use for that marvel mystery oil
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I do have mics, calipers etc. Even have a small lathe and mill. Smile I'm just a hobby machinist though. I thought about checking run out on the lathe.
I just don't have a good set of v-blocks to check run out on.

Usually keep a case of brake cleaner around too. Wink

As for the polish I'd really like to get everything polished to micro. I might take a crack at it to see how I do.

Thanks again for all the help and advise, to everyone.

Gonna take the case to get line bored today I think.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxracer wrote:
Would it be worth it to send the case to maybe RC to have it done?

Yes. You would know for certain it was done right.

mxracer wrote:
He told me he just mixes CV lube and trans fluid for cam break in. Dunno...suck though. It was gooey, black and gritty. Sad

Gooey and black sounds like CV lube, which, AFAIK, does not dissolve or dissipate like true assembly lube. Get that gunk in a crank journal and try to push it through the space between the bearing and the journal with 30 lbs of oil pressure? It becomes a plug. Dunno about the gritty part though, either debris that collected in the gunk, or he mixed it with grinding compound d'oh!

Paul
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: If you don't have V blocks, you can do a quick crank runout check by dropping the crank into a case half with proper bearing on the ends only.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
PS: If you don't have V blocks, you can do a quick crank runout check by dropping the crank into a case half with proper bearing on the ends only.
bingo!!! that way you dont scar up the crank,I had a vblock fixture that had soft vee on it so it did not hurt any thing, as for the polishing you can go over it with 1000 wet if you like,and dont use the hard paper that a lot of places are using these days if you can find the old soft niot stiff wet-o- dry 600&1000 or 800. the yellow backed paper is too stif and can scratch , green/gray backed paper is best.or emmory cloth if you can find it in that grit.iv have done hundrads like that,im not a fan of belt polishers,you have to wear out the belt befor you start& it still doseng do what it like it to do.(and seen too many cranks not polished corectly)
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well crank is off to be reground. I took it over the machine shop just to have him take a look. He mic'ed it and the split bearing journal had 2 groves that were about .005 deep. Sad

It just keeps getting better. Smile

Also dropped the case off for line boring this morning. Should pick it up tomorrow then on to clean-up.

Also called Scat this morning to ask about the ARP rod bolts specs for the 2000 bolts in the rods. The guy's first answer when I asked for the part number for the bolts so I could get the stretch specs was that they don't give out stretch specs cause "most people don't know how to stretch bolts properly". Which I can understand but I wanted to say WTF, I'm asking for part numbers so I can get the stretch specs instead of just torque and you are saying no? He finally gave what seemed to be a guess on the stretch specs. Told me 50ft/lbs and not over .0058 stretch. Which seems kinda high for 3/8, and does not match up with any of the ARP specs I could find. Guess I'll just torque to 40 and then use the stretch gauge to get .0055. Wish I still had the paperwork that got thrown out before I even saw it. Confused

I'm also going to do the full flow this time. Been reading on the Type 3 forum and gathering what I need to do it on a Type 3. Little bit more of a pain it seems but seems to work out nice. I bought the GB Type 3 cover.
Question here...since I'm doing full flow would I get accurate readings from a temp sender if I put it inline with one of the oil lines? I have the 1/8" sender now that was on a tee with the pressure sender(and useless). If I can use that inline (tee it off the line) with the full flow hoses I'd like to.

I guess I should change the title of this thread to "Engine RE-build", It's a ground up build for sure. Only thing I don't have to do is make decisions on which crank, rods etc.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxracer wrote:
Question here...since I'm doing full flow would I get accurate readings from a temp sender if I put it inline with one of the oil lines? I have the 1/8" sender now that was on a tee with the pressure sender(and useless). If I can use that inline (tee it off the line) with the full flow hoses I'd like to.

Easier to tap the sender into the filter housing? Still sits in the oil flow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... sweet thanks.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shopuld of posted crank pics ,it probably did not need cutting, and cutting usualy looses the nitriding depending on how it was done,if it was done. a groove dont hurt squat,my scat crank is groved factory. I dont trust most shops to do it right..good luck. add the sender to the sump, either the extra sump or just tap the aera where the type 3 dip stick went.or you can tap the filter adaptor,I would not add any extra fittings as this is just an extra weight on the hose&some place fer somethen to go rong(& possiably a restriction depending on the fittings)
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the one I did take and post of the split bearing journal. It was the worst and the one he said he thought would cause it to need to be reground. Also noticed on the case that the bearing numbers were already imprinted into the case, again only after 2K miles.

I guess the good news is this shop isn't the one doing it, it's sent out to a VW and Porsche shop a few miles away. So hopefully that shop will make the final call.

Not sure about the nitride. CB doesn't list it as such, just micro polished. Question
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1185

I ended up buying the Type 3 Gene Berg full flow kit luckily they hadn't shipped just the cover out yet. Cool I'll check out the filter housing they send and either tap the hosing like you guys suggested or follow your advice Mark and tap somewhere else.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
][/url]

Last edited by mxracer on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
Gooey and black sounds like CV lube, which, AFAIK, does not dissolve or dissipate like true assembly lube. Get that gunk in a crank journal and try to push it through the space between the bearing and the journal with 30 lbs of oil pressure? It becomes a plug. Dunno about the gritty part though, either debris that collected in the gunk, or he mixed it with grinding compound d'oh!

Paul

That actually makes sense. If he never cleaned the crank and it still had some grit in it from polishing, then he used the CV lube for break in I can see it picking that crap up along the way and like you said and I saw, made a plug.

blue77bay wrote:
unbelievable, are you gunna name n shame so others don't finish up the same??

I guess I should so like you say others around here don't end up in the same boat.

It was Mecanix, VW in Lexington, NC. The old guy that used to run it retired a couple years ago and the current owner bought it from him from what I understand.

He does a lot of business, or at least it seemed when I was there, and he's a really nice guy, nothing personal against him, but my engine does have a beef with him. Smile
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the spec. that came with my CB rods/ARP 2000s is 29 ft lbs.
didnt list stretch though

Click to view image
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIN wrote:
the spec. that came with my CB rods/ARP 2000s is 29 ft lbs.
didnt list stretch though

Thanks VIN, were they these rods by chance?

SCAT 3/8" I-BEAM CONNECTING RODS WITH ARP2000 BOLTS

http://www.scatvw.com/master/connecting_rods/
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are the CB super race rods, H beams.

edit: mine are 5/16", you got 3/8"...disregard. Embarassed

Click to view image
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The empi torque spec sounds correct to me (or close enough)

CB's "in and out" pump will fit too(or can be made to fit, with a little improvisation) and works fine for mild apps
You crank would like you to install it, if you don't do the fancy tapping thing

I say "screw you china crank, eat dirt and die Razz"

just kidding Laughing

Last edited by modok on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: