Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New AIRS List
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: New AIRS List Reply with quote

After trying (unsuccessfully) to update my information on the AIRS list for the past couple of years I thought it might finally be time for someone to come up with an alternative. I love the concept of the AIRS list, but it doesn't do much good if it's always out of date.

I threw together a quick and dirty proof-of-concept using a simple PHP address book. Please understand that it does not represent a finished work - it's just to get people thinking. You can search records, sort them, add categories (states and countries would make sense), send emails to multiple contacts, etc. It's really quite powerful already. If there is enough interest in the idea I will put more work into refining and polishing it.

http://newairs.zxq.net

Feel free to take a look and play around with it (please, keep it clean). There are no restrictions to the database right now, you can add, modify, and delete records freely. That may or may not be the best plan going forward... it's nice because everyone can keep themselves up-to-date but also dangerous because someone can inadvertently (or intentionally) mess with other listings. Things to think about.

I'd love to contribute to the VW community and I think the AIRS list is something that can certainly use the attention. Please add your feedback to this thread.
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want a list that anyone can modify. That would be dangerous..
Who runs the old list and how does it get updated?
Marvin
PS I have it bookmarked but have never used it. I would use it in an emergency though.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the AIRS list was that it WAS out dated and most numbers were useless. thesamba.com is the best "AIRS" list. No sense in reinventing the wheel. Smile
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, the user Kommercial on here was/is in charge of the existing AIRS list.

If you want to ask him about it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, the user Kommercial on here was/is in charge of the existing AIRS list.

If you want to ask him about it.

Confirmed.
http://www.type2.com/rescue/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the admin but have yet to receive a response... theSamba is great but I feel the AIRS list has a slightly different purpose. It's nice to print a directory for the state(s) you're traveling through with names of folks that have chosen to preemptively make contact information available. I, for one, don't have an internet-phone and can't access theSamba from the side of the road. I'll try sending a PM to Kommercial.
vwtopia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to change my phone number and vehicles on the list for two years but nothing happened and I have given up. If its something you want to do and will keep it up I say go for it and more power to you. My only suggestion and lord knows you have already had more than enough would be to make every contact password protected so that only the person entering the info on that contact can change it. Not sure how hard that would be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the samba has the perfect opportunity to become the next AIRS list. it could be real simple also. i believe most of the hard work is there.

in your profile you always put a general location, well most do. it would be easy to put a similar set up as the AIRS list in your profile. all the contact info would already be password protected.

there is a members search function already. you could add the simple feature of search like the classifieds where you can break it down in regions and state and distance of zip code.

each member could fill out the info, maybe a standardized form like the AIRS list. maybe some guidelines would be keep it updated every 3 months if something changes. maybe keep it "renewed" like a classifieds listing every 3 months if nothing changes.

idk. just thinking out loud here. i know nothing about programming. wheres EverettB? or all the other site mods?
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be good, too. I think folks should have to opt-in, though. Not everyone would want to be included, which is fine.

All I know is that the concept is not currently living up to its potential.
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too keen on a list. It's too easy for some devious person to misuse it. My remedy is a cell phone and AAA or other 24hr recovery card. Mine is through my insurance co and covers the wife or me regardless of what we are driving.
Marvin
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not about to put my contact information on any list except for a PM.

Four spare bedrooms including guest kitchen to use if needed.
Completely equipped shop and a large stock of new VW parts.
Key under the mat since I'm gone most of the time. Don't worry, the dog doesn't bite.
Don't worry about making noise since neighbors are 1/3 mile away.
Phone and computer available in the den next to the big screen.
If it's raining and you want to park inside please be careful and don't scratch the Hebmueller.
Here's my address and complete directions. Do you need my SS number and account numbers also?
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that many people (myself included) would be willing to have a phone number and an approximate address. The purpose is to allow people to get in contact with someone in a region, not drive to their doorstep unannounced.

Desertbusman... you're already making it freely known that you're in Arizona. To someone on a cross-country road trip that might be specific enough. Even if you aren't able to help directly, you might know somebody else that can, or a shop to recommend (or avoid). AAA is nice but it's nice to have contacts to folks with "inside the hobby" knowledge.

Would I ever put my exact address and all of that other specific information in such a list? No way! But, at the same time, it's all easy enough to find these days anyway, and there really isn't much you can do about it.

I still strongly believe the concept has merit.
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the list wouldnt be for an exact address and phone number but for a general area. like stated above, the Arizona area thing. i still think having a general area search would be nice. even just a state search for users.
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an idea. Just for giggles I Googeled some of the hometowns you all have posted and googeled "VW Clubs, Your town, State". You can find a club almost anywhere. Pull them up and get contact info in most cases.
It may not be instantanious but you can find VW help out there.
I guess I'm lucky in that when I'm far away from home my Baja is towed behing my Van RV.
There is no way I give my addy and phone to just anyone.
If there were a joke section on The Samba I could post an extreemely good reason why not to.
Marvin
PS I have found that a few extra parts and the right tools will bail you out most of the time. Big items being the exception.
PPS Here is another thought for your safety. If you sell something on Craigslist and the party is coming to pick it up and you are suspicious have them meet you at the local Police Precint for the transaction.
Culito

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the AIRS list with my contact information.
Some of you people are awfully paranoid.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with the AIRS list has always been the same, people don't want to be bothered with updating it, and that is fine. Newer info is generally at the bottom of each list. It is a volunteer program, there is plenty of good contact info in it, and I receive emails all the time of happy "customers". I haven't been able to do an update recently but it is ever growing. Many people have volunteered their time to help on the backend of it but it has never panned out. Really the one thing I want for the AIRS list is something seperate that can do searches and sorting real time per state regardless of what information is on the site. So you can search and group zips, or citys or ? If your a programmer and would like to use your time doing so, feel free to give it a shot and we can see about integrating it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the AIRS list, and have been for years. I've received 4 calls in that time, and been able to help one of them. Razz
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bay bus forum has a member map that as far as I know never really worked or did do much of anything. When traveling it would be nice if we know what Samba folks lived in what areas. For those that don't show where they are located in their sig lines is very unhelpful in many ways.
If someone breaks down and can post it on the Samba then it seems to get attention and one way or another filter down to someone in the vicinity. There are times when someone on the Samba posted for someone else out on the road somewhere needing help and listed that persons phone number. Seems like that got quick responses.
If our rides bust, and we need help, and can't get on the web, at least have some Samba persons phone number that can post out a call for help. A lot of us have a lot of Samba contacts and hopefully can start directing someone in the right direction. For instance here in Arizona I know quite a few folks scattered around the state and those people probably know quite a few others along with locations of shops and parts houses.
There is a route I take to Cali once in a while and I've inquired a bit where shops are and then stopped to see those places and what they might have to offer if they are ever needed on some future trip. It's a real bummer that VW has made it so that individual VW air-cooled houses can't do any worthwhile listings in the Yellow Pages. We just can't find anything in the phone books anymore.
Lostnfound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be willing to take over or fund and setup a completely new airs site complete with a unique domain name. I myself have used the AIRS list and haven't been able to return the favor yet.
nerfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to apparently being able to update entries, I think people would be more comfortable if the e-mails and phone numbers weren't in clear text. Maybe use graphics or something, so a spider-bot can't scan the page and get your contact info.

As for locations, the nearest major intersection is fine. Chances are, you might just be directing them to a local shop that actually has some knowledge on air-cooled vehicles. Just that and a friendly voice can help quite a bit as people drive their 30+ year-old vehicles far from home. When you're broken down on the side of a busy road, you don't want to spend a half hour searching the web on your little smart phone (if you have one), hoping your search leads you to something worthwhile.

I didn't even know about AIRS until recently and I stumbled on it. It's listed as a Type 2 feature, but it didn't take much to figure out it was really for all air-cooled VWs. Now I'm wondering how much of that is accurate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: