Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "what year is my decklid" thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayor Marion Berry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a deck lid from a 50-57 would fit a 59?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Mayor Marion Berry wrote:
Does anyone know if a deck lid from a 50-57 would fit a 59?

Yes. ^
The "W" decklid is a direct fit for 1958-1964 model year bodies (and newer/others if the corresponding apron is used) .

The deck lid mounting and body line is the same for all years.
The change in latch design was for the 1965 model year.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whitebrasilian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Lets chat a moment about 1964 and the changes that where seen. Below is a pic of my decklid. Is it an early or late 64 decklid? My VIN is March 64. What is OG for this year? I have seen cars that claim to be OG with both small and wide light covers, both some wings and none. Most always have T handle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

87 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender w/ EJ22 (2019)
64 Beetle ( 2016, new daily driver after sitting in a garage for 25 years. )
63 Notchback ( 2014, undergoing restoration )
65 Beetle ( 01-08 )
64 Beetle ( 01-02 )
00 Turbo New Beetle ( 99-02 )
98 GTI ( 97-99 )
72 Super Beetle Street Baja ( 95-98 )
65 Beetle ( 93-94 )
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

In 64 there are two "one year only" deck lids used.

Straight stamp, small light, t handle from Aug 63 through Oct 63
Straight stamp, large light t handle from Nov 63 through July 64

Pics and bentley reference is on page 1 post 1
whitebrasilian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
In 64 there are two "one year only" deck lids used.

Straight stamp, small light, t handle from Aug through Oct
Straight stamp, large light t handle from Nov through July

Excellent info. Thanks! Would this mean that the only difference in decklids is the light cover? Are they interchangeable?

87 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender w/ EJ22 (2019)
64 Beetle ( 2016, new daily driver after sitting in a garage for 25 years. )
63 Notchback ( 2014, undergoing restoration )
65 Beetle ( 01-08 )
64 Beetle ( 01-02 )
00 Turbo New Beetle ( 99-02 )
98 GTI ( 97-99 )
72 Super Beetle Street Baja ( 95-98 )
65 Beetle ( 93-94 )
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Decklids are interchangeable up through July 64, 65-66, 67 (one year only), 68 up.

The difference between Aug 58 - July 63 and Aug 63-July 64 is the center rib stamping.

Read the first post with pics to see differences, 1/2 W, strait rib.
soulsurfer26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Found this one yesterday and did not see it in this topic yet. Previous owner said it was for a '67.
The bulb you see on the right looks like it has been welded in...

Martin
reedz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Can I use a super beetle lid from 1973 on my 1969 beetle? I was told I need to get more ventilation because I am building a 1915cc motor. Thanks for any help.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Yeah, the overall shape of the decklid is the same from 1968 onward. That's why you see listings for new replacements stating 1968-79. But the latch did change for model year 72 so you have to change that as well.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a source for the rubber bumpers and buffers that keep the rain tray from vibrating?
Listers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

I'm trying to find out the correct emblem or script for my deck lid. The car is a Mexican origin beetle. The furthest 2 holes are about 8.5 inches apart. Looks like the "1300" script is not wide enough for the holes.

Any help?

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Listers wrote:
I'm trying to find out the correct emblem or script for my deck lid. The car is a Mexican origin beetle. The furthest 2 holes are about 8.5 inches apart. Looks like the "1300" script is not wide enough for the holes.

Any help?

Looks like a 65 or 66 decklid. I would think it's for the 1300 script. Maybe someone mounted a Volkswagen emblem at some point?

Technically the "correct" emblem would be "none".
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Metamatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

How are the steel pipes attached to the bottom reinforcement on a 61-62 convertible decklid and how ong are they? To the bottom or just a bit in under the reinforcement plate?

What does the drain holes at the bottom look like? Any pictures on that?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

No "outer holes" on such a convertible decklid. Just a slot and an "indentation" at the very bottom to let the water past the body seal. And the reinforcement plate is welded to the edges of the lid.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metamatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
No "outer holes" on such a convertible decklid. Just a slot and an "indentation" at the very bottom to let the water through the body seal. And the reinforcement plate is welded to the edges of the lid.

Thank you so much for quick responce and excellent info and pictures.
cbdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Here is my 58 Australian deck lid for info.
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

Thought this might help for a quick basic reference guide. But of course the OUTSTANDING info prior to this is in greater detail.
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

So I took measurements and I can post pictures but on the 64, there may be 3 different styles Shocked so my bug was rusty, and the bottom of the decklid was rusted out. It had the wide style license plate light. I found another 64 only decklid at a swap meet for $20 and was solid, score! So time goes by, and I got had taken the lights off and I go to put the old light on the new lid, it doesn’t fit! I was puzzled, both decklids had the original holes, light casting #s matched, but the new one was a few mm narrower than the old, around 5mm, enough where I’d have to redrill the holes. The new one in the new lid fits fine same for old and old. So I’m not sure why it’s like that but interesting that there was a slight difference and I don’t think it was just bent...
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

In COTC (87 edition, page 728) JTG says that 68 1200s continued to use 67 decklids. along with 58-63 license plate lamp. But reference pics I've seen as well as the parts book don't support that at all. Just and error from Garwood?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "what year is my decklid" thread Reply with quote

I have a '74 Super, with the big plastic air cleaner box.i am wanting to reduce the amount of weather and detritus that get to my engine.

Question Did those years have a rain tray available for that style of deck lid?

Question For the Dual Port engine, if I went with a vent-less deck lid, would that really be an issue for reduced cooling air only from the under-window vents?

Question Would a '67 decklid clear the stock '74 and later bumper when opening?

Thanks!

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: