Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v fridge freezer good deal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: 12v fridge freezer good deal Reply with quote

I've been watching for this for quite a while. $389 shipped free
http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-Compact-Edge...rid=265471
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting -- I looked at Amazon for reviews that were (hopefully) independent of the seller's site. Mixed results:

http://www.amazon.com/43-Portable-Compact-Refriger...ewpoints=1
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that just what i have been looking for but the reviews dont seem that good.
i have also looked at the sundanzer
http://sundanzer.com/solar-power-refrigerators/chest-style/
1990 vw automatic camper
MacFhearguis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Whynter/Edgestars have had somewhat mixed reviews. Several folks have had to make repairs to wiring straight out of the box. The fit and finish is not at the level that I like, and they are not particularly volumetricly effcient comapred to an Engel.

After using several different brands, I'm back to my Engel, and will stay with it.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while the 12v section of the Dometic portable isn't as good (it's heat soak not a compressor style)
the fact it runs the weekend on propane is very handy.

I like my Portable Dometic fridge.. no freezer

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Dometic-...3237383337
Quote:
Dometic Portable Refrigerator
Catalog Item # 27837
Internet SALE $416.99 SAVE $46.34 Reg $463.33

Shipping:
Order this item today, and your entire order will ship for FREE via standard ground delivery!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ARB versions are very nice. I use and abuse mine 24/7 and I feel it will last a lifetime. The only negatives are A) the price B) the shape is not ideal for the van. A little shorter and wider (or taller) would be better.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been nothing but pleased with my Edgestar fridge! It really doesn't suck up the juice
like others have said, though it's not an Engel it's still a pretty good fridge.
They are quiet and as far as the amperage draw, it's about 5 amps at start up and quickly
drops to about 2.5 amps. It will cycle for about 15 minutes.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
themervino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running the Edgestar non stop now for a year. It has been completely flawless. I run it off a 135 watt panel and of course the alternator. I have 200 amp hours of battery power that run the fridge and the rest of the camping stuff like lights and fans etc. I seldom look at the battery guage anymore because they have never gone below 12.0v. I did replace the DC chord to make it more flexible and easier pull out when putting the fridge outside. I also added some length to the chord. I am really pleased with it. It is very quiet. It had no problem keeping up with a closed up van in the summer where it reached a good bit over 100 degrees in the van. I also got it for $360 with free shipping. Good deal and good product

Merv.
90 Carat Westfakia
98 Subie 2.2
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an "Out of Box" FP430 from Compact Appliance two years ago and it has gone to Baja with me twice. Durable, efficient, affordable. I really can't figure out why anyone would spend twice as much for an Engel. I love my Edgestar.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacFhearguis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I bought an "Out of Box" FP430 from Compact Appliance two years ago and it has gone to Baja with me twice. Durable, efficient, affordable. I really can't figure out why anyone would spend twice as much for an Engel. I love my Edgestar.

I paid less for my Norcold than a Edgestar sells for, but would have paid double given the proven track record.

For me, it came down to the fact that my Engels, over the years, had performed flawlessly. At one point I tried a Waeco, and it died in the driveway, so I went back to my Engel/Norcold.

I think the Edgestars are a good value line fridge, and they use a tried and true Danfoss system(correct me if I am wrong on that point). But, with many folks having to do work on the fridge out of the box to get it to run(wiring), poor fit and finish, and a worse capacity/size ratio than other 12v options. Those kind of issues are not worth the cost savings to me.

Time will tell however, how well the Edgestar/Whynter line holds up. When it matches the 50 year track record of Engel, I'll consider it.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
while the 12v section of the Dometic portable isn't as good (it's heat soak not a compressor style)
the fact it runs the weekend on propane is very handy.

I like my Portable Dometic fridge.. no freezer

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Dometic-...3237383337
Quote:
Dometic Portable Refrigerator
Catalog Item # 27837
Internet SALE $416.99 SAVE $46.34 Reg $463.33

Shipping:
Order this item today, and your entire order will ship for FREE via standard ground delivery!

I too am happy with my Dometic. I opted for it because I felt the more expensive Engle Fridges were overkill for what I was doing. I didn't need a full freezer to cool my beer. As it turns out the Dometic, on my first trip managed to freeze all of my beer because I had it set incorectly. That happened on a trip to the desert where the van got really hot inside when parked in the sun. What I like most is I don't have to worry about the charge of the battery. I can hook it up to a larger propane bottle and it will run for weeks. I have solar in our Casita trailer and I really didn't want my van to be that complicated. I have had an old Dometic 3-way (a predesessor to this one) for about 20 years and it finally has quit working
well so I replaced it with a new one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: