Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Introduction
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Introduction Reply with quote

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Introduction

The mantra of the Internet is "Use the search button. This has been discussed many times before." Not particularly useful when there are 7358 posts on a subject, and you don't know which ones contain True Pearls of Wisdom. Or which posters know what they are talking about, and can articulate their knowledge well.

The purpose of this series of posts is to condense the True Pearls of Wisdom regarding subjects that have been discussed many times before into one intense chapter per subject. Existing posts will be copied and edited unmercifully.

One problem is that Volkswagen virgins frequently don't know enough to ask the right question. Consider the classic Volkswagen virgin question:

What is the best year Beetle to make into a baja?

the correct answer, of course, is: None

A better question would be:

"What do I need to know about Beetles before I buy one to Baja?"

Good question. You need to know:

• that there are collectible VWs and disposable VWs
  • there are three kinds of front suspension
  • there are two kinds of rear suspension
  • you can put any suspension on any car
  • there is more than one way to mount a different suspension
  • you need to make some decisions about how far you are going to go before you buy a beetle.

Chapter 1 will deal with these questions.

• you need to know more about Bajas before you can make some decisions about how far you are going to go.

This will be discussed in Chapter 2

Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492880

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143138

sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict that we'll see your name next to Ian's as a moderator in the future!
Seriously, you are doing an outstanding job of gathering this information and generating your own "how to" threads. Thank you.

-Robb
jgrexx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find my bug doesn't really fit into any of the categories. it's a baja yeah but only because it has been cut and has fiberglass fenders and roll bar bumpers on it. it has bigger tires and wheels on the rear.....for the most part my bug is the same as a stock beetle. stock engine, tranny, suspension, etc.

there are different kinds of baja bugs. some are more streetable and others are a full on baja 1000 type that have alot more modifications to them like full roll cages, fuel cells, suspension going through the fenders, etc. while all of that looks really cool it costs way more to do and really is overkill for a daily driver type of bug.

i think things just get jumbled into groups sometimes like stock bug or baja bug. basically you can take it as far as you wanna take it or leave it as stock as you want it to be. there are many different variations that can be done. the choice is yours. build it depending on what you are gonna do with it. no need to go overboard with the $ if all you are gonna do is drive it to work or walmart and around town lol.

i basically just drive mine on road around town. i just like the baja look better than the stock look. i never plan on taking it offroad or entering the baja 1000 with it. basically i have a stock bug with the baja look which is great for daily driving. i have my toyota 4x4 if i ever go offroad which still isn't that often.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgrexx wrote:
i find my bug doesn't really fit into any of the categories. it's a baja yeah but only because it has been cut and has fiberglass fenders and roll bar bumpers on it. it has bigger tires and wheels on the rear.....for the most part my bug is the same as a stock beetle. stock engine, tranny, suspension, etc.

there are different kinds of baja bugs. some are more streetable and others are a full on baja 1000 type that have alot more modifications to them like full roll cages, fuel cells, suspension going through the fenders, etc. while all of that looks really cool it costs way more to do and really is overkill for a daily driver type of bug.

i think things just get jumbled into groups sometimes like stock bug or baja bug. basically you can take it as far as you wanna take it or leave it as stock as you want it to be. there are many different variations that can be done. the choice is yours. build it depending on what you are gonna do with it. no need to go overboard with the $ if all you are gonna do is drive it to work or walmart and around town lol.

i basically just drive mine on road around town. i just like the baja look better than the stock look. i never plan on taking it offroad or entering the baja 1000 with it. basically i have a stock bug with the baja look which is great for daily driving. i have my toyota 4x4 if i ever go offroad which still isn't that often.

If you took your baja out in the wild it would be your first choice from now on. I used to own an FJ40 Landcruiser, and it was not nearly as much fun as the VW. My baja at the time had 30/10.50-15 rear tires, and was lifted about 3" with a stock engine. It was amazing off road.
jgrexx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrown45 wrote:
jgrexx wrote:

If you took your baja out in the wild it would be your first choice from now on. I used to own an FJ40 Landcruiser, and it was not nearly as much fun as the VW. My baja at the time had 30/10.50-15 rear tires, and was lifted about 3" with a stock engine. It was amazing off road.

yeah i'm sure it would be fun but i don't like taking my vehicles offroad very much....at least nothing major. i like to take care of them and i don't have tons of money to sink into them when things break which will happen when offroading. also i hate having mud all over my vehicles. i got my old 88' toyota muddy one time about 10 years ago. (i have a 2009 model now) it took so much work to get that thing clean again and i still never did get it totally clean. i said to myself never again lol. it's just not worth it. i don't really enjoy mudding anyways. i see all these videos of guys getting water in their engines and such. that's just not for me. i like to take care of my stuff so it will last. i guess most people buy a baja just to bash offroading but to me it was more about having a car to enjoy driving down the road around town. i might do some very mild off roading but i'm not gonna be going through mud, across creeks/rivers, crawling over rocks scratching my car all up, etc. there's certainly no dunes around here in the southeast so that's out too lol.

to me it's fun just driving to the store on an ordinary day. it drives like nothing else on the road. i'm not against offroading or anything but i just don't have the money to put into that. i use my truck for work so i can't be having it break down because i tried some stupid stunt off road lol. it is fun to drive in the snow though. perhaps i will drive the baja in the snow next time it snows here again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: