Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie with Questions- Weekender Vrs. Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
1971BugGuy wrote:
Your van always smells of your cooking.

Broad generalization... my van smells of old vinyl, rubber mats and cleaning products. It has not once smelled of cooking. Cool

lol. Ok, for sure my van has smelled of a LOT of other odours including wet dogs, antifreeze, must, mothballs, etc. but I was making a very generalized statement to the fact that IF you cook in it... It can, and most probably will, carry the aromas. Wink

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of people seem to prefer weekenders. I knew I wanted a full camper, and I knew why. I love to keep the camper packed with all the things needed for a camping or road trip. towels to toilet paper, soup to nuts, cups to pots and pans--everything we need stays packed in place, ready to go. all we do is fill the water tank, and add fresh groceries and our clothes.

I love the sink, stove, tables, cabinets, even love the fridge, and enjoy using them while camping or traveling. I cook in my camper, and it does not smell like old food at all.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1971BugGuy wrote:
but I was making a very generalized statement to the fact that IF you cook in it... It can, and most probably will, carry the aromas. Wink

Yes, broad generalization and assumption, which, as a full-camper owner, I had to point out. More appropriate statement: If you cook in your van, it could potentially absorb the aromas of your cooked meals. Lots of full-camper folks out there, like me and Debbie, use their kitchens without having any lingering odors. Cooking meals, usually with a window or two open, is one thing; leaving a container of leftovers out while the van is closed up is quite another. Wink

Interesting thing to mention: I've never heard of any motorhome people complaining about lingering cooking aromas. Think
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we always used to sleep up, as our 2 large dogs seemed to think if we were on a bed they should be there too. so blanket on the floor for them, and we went up to sleep. but my husband had some back problems and we discovered the comfort of sleeping below. it is very convenient to put all the stuff that accumulates on the folded upper bunk, and sleep down.

as far as cooking, maybe the method of clean up causes lingering odors. the lid of the kitchen protects the curtains from splashes and splatter. I boil water and wash dishes and wipe clean the stove and area after cooking. hot soapy water is the last thing that goes down the drain.

Last edited by debbiej on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
...Lots of full-camper folks out there, like me and Debbie, use their kitchens without having any lingering odors...

True, but having experimented with this I suggest one avoid preparing curry dishes.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original poster: you have come to the right place. As mentioned, the van that comes to you in your budget will most likely be the one you buy. I think it depends on the type of camping you intend to do and how much you use it for hauling and daily use.

While we would like to camp in one place for an extended period of time, our vacations consist of a lot of traveling and camping at night in new locations. Being "self contained" is a bonus for us. While it is tight with two and an 80 pound dog, we can make camp and break camp very quickly and get on the road. And if we hit a cold and rainy day, we are snug. We use every square inch of storage. You would be amazed how much you can pack away in the Westy cabinets. Under way, everything is secured away.

We both sleep up top and leave our gear in the very back. The problem uptop is not the weight it supports, but it is a little short for a 6 foot person. I have seen bed additions. My wife is short and I usually sleep a little diagonal. We have 3 screens and enjoy sleeping in the top. The dog gets the bottom bunk.

The stove and kitchen take up a lot of space. I had them out recently and was impressed with how much more room is in the van. I have a standard garage opening and have taller tires than stock. The pop top just clears the garage header. I have a peice of wood to wedge the garage door open that extra inch I need. Never had a problem in covered parking lots.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

True, but having experimented with this I suggest one avoid preparing curry dishes.

That, along with fish, is something I don't even cook in my house Sick , so no problem there. Laughing

Bottom line: Find the van that's right for you and your needs/desires and have fun with it! Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
1971BugGuy wrote:
but I was making a very generalized statement to the fact that IF you cook in it... It can, and most probably will, carry the aromas. Wink

Interesting thing to mention: I've never heard of any motorhome people complaining about lingering cooking aromas. Think

I make it a point not to cook in my apartment, either. You know, the lingering smells from dinner two years ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: