Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Settled the "what stereo for Van" question w/ head
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Settled the "what stereo for Van" question w/ head Reply with quote

After thinking of a quality portable stereo (previous thread), looking at various stereo solutions, etc, I finally realized I've been wanting a set of quality headphones for a long time. They'd overcome the freeway noise perfectly, and when camping I could rock out without bothering anyone, plus when stealth camping I'd remain, well....stealthy.

So I got V-Mode Crossfade LP headphones from Radio Shack on blowout for $99. Originally $249 and reviewed better than the trendy Dr Dre Beats Studios everyone's getting.

Doesn't solve the issue when others are in the car, but man, if you haven't listened to a quality set of headphones, consider them. The audio quality would take $1000s to duplicate in a Vanagon and then you'd still be listening to it through high levels of road/wind noise on a long road trip.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many states driving with headphones is illegal.
I have a set of decent sennheiser headphones and the sound is incredible compared to a sound system in a car.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the money your putting into head phones and a stereo why not put in a real car stereo
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine wearing headphones while driving but I do love wearing them at home. Very Happy

82 Diesel Westy
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub - Actually, the 99 clams is it - no stereo investment. They plug directly into my iPhone, or iPod. More money available for other Van stuff.

Yeah I had not thought about the illegality. I guess because we all use in ear headphones so often I didn't even think of it. Don't you guys/gals wear ear buds while driving once in a while? Mine are tied into the phone so a call beeps in, then a touch of the button on the cord answers the call, pauses the music and I just start talking. At the hangup, the music comes back up and life is great.

These are supposed to react the same way and the cord has a mic in it designed to work with iPhones. So addicting to get that concert hall level of serious audiophile listening. Really impactful to hear the tiny tick of Norah Jones' lips parting to sing a word, or the crickets in the background on Dire Straights' "Ride across the River". Even in a moving car.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worn headphones while driving. I think it's potentially dangerous.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I guess because we all use in ear headphones so often I didn't even think of it. Don't you guys/gals wear ear buds while driving once in a while?

I've never once used the ear "buds" that come with an iPod; I prefer genuine headphones. I've never used headphones while driving and I only use the cell phone while driving if it's an emergency.

In some jurisdictions, it's even illegal to ride your bicycle while wearing headphones.

Next question: What's the difference between driving with headphones on and driving Deaf? Well, in my opinion, one is driving while distracted, the other is not. Wink It's been proven time and again that your brain operates differently when you're wearing headphones, talking on the phone (hands-free or not), etc. vs. not using those devices at all.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
...Really impactful to hear the tiny tick of Norah Jones' lips parting to sing a word...

Just don't miss hearing that Firetruck that's about to run the light at the interestion ahead -- that could also be impactful.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Mine are tied into the phone so a call beeps in, then a touch of the button on the cord answers the call, pauses the music and I just start talking. At the hangup, the music comes back up and life is great.

Doug

when I plug my phone into the usb port on my $100 cd deck it does the same thing
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idaho has intersections?

------------------------------------------

you might call the state police and ask -- if they allow a bluetooth or wired ear device for cell phone use see if it might be covered under that

or just use it on USFS & BLM roads where a cop is an unlikely sight
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Next question: What's the difference between driving with headphones on and driving Deaf? Well, in my opinion, one is driving while distracted, the other is not. Wink It's been proven time and again that your brain operates differently when you're wearing headphones, talking on the phone (hands-free or not), etc. vs. not using those devices at all.

Whats the difference between a normal stereo played really loud and headphones? I wear headphones while driving, it lets me talk on the phone hands free too. I don't listen to loud music and I can hear fire trucks. I have been in customers cars with subs turned all the way up and it is WAY louder than anything I do. I can't imagine that's not distracting while driving.

What about talking to someone in the passenger seat? There are way more things to be concerned about while driving (like other people reading newspapers, books, eating, putting on makeup, dogs on lap, ice on windshield, ect.) Even with my headphones on, I can still hear most everything around me since I listen to them so softly.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Whats the difference between a normal stereo played really loud and headphones? I wear headphones while driving, it lets me talk on the phone hands free too. I don't listen to loud music and I can hear fire trucks. I have been in customers cars with subs turned all the way up and it is WAY louder than anything I do. I can't imagine that's not distracting while driving.

Quite a bit.

Studies have shown that headphones cancel out MUCH more noise than does regular speaker sound and more than ear buds even.. Even at similar volumes. Noise canceling headphones.. even more so.

Its your gig.. if you don't care about the risks.. but what about hearing the inevitable "bang" or "pop" from your 20+yr old van?

I dunno... I don't listen to ear bleeding volume levels anymore, either.. Maybe it was the Metallica house shows back in the day, but I'm kinds done with destroying my ear drums.

I also want to know when one of my kids in the back seat needs something.

Man..
The OP has lectured here several times on the dangers of modifying factory engineered brake and suspension systems.. but then he's willing to drive virtually deaf. Hope he can register the safety logic, here.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
Idaho has intersections?

------------------------------------------

Now thats comedy. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing and one more to emphasize the laugh I got out of that comment Laughing
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna have to disagree about a pair of headphones beating a stereo system. I just put in a new Pioneer DEH 7300BT head unit, Infinity Reference 6.5" component speakers (tweeters and speaker), an Orion 4 channel 250 Watt Amp, and an Infinity Reference 8" Sub, and amp wiring kit for a little over $500. Sonic Elextronix has some sweet deals. There is no way your headphones match my setup. It's dialed, sounds great, and you can feel the bass on your chest without being overwhelmed. And oh, I listen to everything. Took me a day and a half to pull out the old and install the new, but it's so worth it. And now I can talk on the phone hands free and avoid another $300 talking on the phone ticket here in CA.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Don't you guys/gals wear ear buds while driving once in a while?

Nope...in MN, this is a moving violation & a hefty fine. Definitely not my style.

I'd dig 'em when parked, but haven't been into a good pair in a while.
Now you got me thinking...

Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh - got a goooood laugh out of me, too!

Yeah, the hearing stuff around me thing led me to avoid the noise canceling type of headphones. I can still hear things, and actually better than the in the ear type earbuds 95% are rocking on. These are vented on the back, which gives the unfortunate ability to have some sound escape at higher volumes that would annoy someone next to you, but for the wearer also allow outside sound in to a small degree. They're not "open" like the Apple factory ear buds that just sit in your outer ear, somewhere in between the isolation of typical silicone earbuds and the Apple design.

Definitely not encouraging others to do this if you are not keenly situationally aware and using judgement as to when to use them if motoring. For me, that's "yes" on a typical western cruising interstate or similar, "no" while navigating a crowded urban environment (about once every 3 years for me).

As for sound quality better in a conventional aftermarket car audio, uh not so sure. Yes, you're getting the beat you can feel in your carcass. But yes you're getting the incredible audio pollution of a Vanagon, or any moving vehicle frankly - but the Vanagon is wildly noisy. Especially at road trip speeds. Sure if you're at 110db, you're overpowering that din to some degree, but a blasting stereo is not "quality" audio listening for me. Also, don't tell me that you are not getting the constant annoying rattling and vibration of various panels and objects in the van during various songs that hit the sympathetic frequency of the many, many plastic trim parts and such. Plus unwanted high frequency reflections off the massive quantities of glass, etc. An automotive environment is very challenging for a true audio experience. I was at Lexus HQ when the Nakamichi audio systems were developed and recall even the base Pioneer audio systems (which were all a labor of love at Lexus) had different frequency responses depending on whether the vehicle had leather or cloth. Its a challenge.

So, yeah I'm sure your stereo rocks and I should say I respect that. Love a powerful car audio. But this is a different listening experience altogether. I can actually hear a singer's lips part, the sound of a broken reed in a trademark Kenny G song, etc with these while driving down the interstate simply because the sound source is in a foam isolated chamber a fraction of an inch from my ears. And when I swivel my head to look around, the sound stage swivels too. Constant precise delivery of sound right where it counts. And at a low volume level where I typically listen, I get it all. Hours of fatigue-free listening.

Anyhow, beating a dead horse. Having my choice, I'd have a rocking 1000w stereo with sub AND a headset jack.

DougM
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
In many states driving with headphones is illegal.
I have a set of decent sennheiser headphones and the sound is incredible compared to a sound system in a car.

Applause . Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....Sennheiser's. Now; if Klipsch would make some auto speakers, Id be in musical bliss. Very Happy
BetaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about? Our vans are the shining beacon that any audiophile would give their left eardrum for. That silky smooth ride, the quiet interior that a full kitchenette brings, and when parked with the top popped, well, there is a new standard in amphitheater style listening my friend. Very Happy

In the whimsical words of Ron Burgundy, San Diego's finest news anchor, "Agree to disagree." In the end, we're splitting hairs here. You've got one solution, I've another. I do crank up my volume at highway speeds, and it is loud. But that's why I bought a quality amp/speakers and used quality wiring - I don't have any hum, and the amp's birth sheet has it rated at 411 watts @ 4ohms. My speakers are 2 ohms, so I am getting the max (about 100 watts per speaker) out of my amp and the max rating of my 2 ohms speakers. It's loud, but it's also very clear and clean - sans distortion. With the system dialed, I too, am hearing bits in recordings that I've never heard before. Would I hear more with a quality pair of noise cancelling headphones? You bet. You're absolutely correct about that one, but I'll sacrifice.

I've had and listened to music through very high grade headphones, and yes, they give you an amazing listening experience. But I'll take noise pollution for big sound and like many have said, no tickets. Hey, there's a reason I installed the head unit with bluetooth; to avoid another hefty fine by those beloved CHP officers with hearts of gold.

Kenny G? Really... At least you didn't include Michael Bolton!

Rock On!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I've never worn headphones while driving. I think it's potentially dangerous.

ditto, plus, if I ever had an incident where I missed something due to wearing headphones while driving, I'd feel like a complete idiot, like all the people distracted by their phone conversations....

further, I like to be tuned into the sound and feel of my machine. I did put a nice stereo in with a sub and Focal speakers, but 99% of the time I just listen to the news radio and my engine.

way too many sloppy, distracted, discourteous drivers out there, not to mention pedestrians and bicycle riders.

maybe that's why all the interest in the oversize tube bumpers ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in most of the intermountain West there is little traffic, and few paved roads

that would include Idaho and most of my long-time stomping grounds of Oregon, and all of Wyoming which only had about 6 paved hwys when I lived there (and still does I expect)

headphones will cut out the sound of the tires on gravel or dirt, but will also isolate you from the sounds of wildlife if you are going slow or stopped

personally, I hate having stuff on my ears, so I go for a stereo, but...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: