Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat Removal 84 1.9L
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Thermostat Removal 84 1.9L Reply with quote

I seem to have a permanently open tstat. Trivial looking enough task but a search reveals a tendency for those 2 thin bolts to want to sieze and break.

The questions (having never held the tstat housing or water pump in my hand):

The longer bolt appears to be a thru bolt, i.e. I can see the other end of the bolt hole on the top of the tstat housing. Is the bolt closer to the engine (which appears to be shorter in the Bentley) also a thru bolt? I'm soaking the one I can see in PB Blaster, if the other bolt hole presents a similar open end I can start squirting blind where it should be (can't quite see it from above).

Are both of the bolts equally prone to seizure or is the long one more likely not to move? I assume the seizure is thru the length of the hole, possibly due in part to the dissimilar metals used?

Any advice, sympathy or what not most welcome.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had to do this yet, so I can't offer any advice. I just thought I would bump you back up to the top of the list so that someone else might see it and chime in. Good Luck!

Hans
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did my t-stat a couple years ago. either or both bolts can sieze/strip etc. soak 'em in pb blaster a day before doing the work.

then, ease them out, nice and slow. don't "break em loose" so to speak. gradually apply take off torque until they loosen. once you get the bolts out inspect the threads, wire brush bolts and chase threads if needed.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Anti-Seize? Reply with quote

When putting them back in, would just a dab of Anti-Seize be advisable? Or might that lead to trouble later?

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After soaking them in Kroil, istead of just trying to crank them out all at once work them back & forth.

Turn in a hair first, then work them a little at a time out--not all at once.

You'll be less prone to snapping them off with the wiggle routine.
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came off with no soaking and no trouble at all. It never hurts to be careful though and the wiggle method is always best on the old cars as a previous member already mentioned.

Thank you,

David.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple days before start streatching your fingers for re-assembly, about 8" should do it.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all something is very unusual in this picture Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most of the time (van/engine condition) one won't come out.
It's not a rust problem but a coolant corrosion one.

Here is what I would do, coolant out! Replace water pump. This way you can remove the pump (easiest) and work on a bench to loosen the other screws.
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CTB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of mine snapped when I attempted to separate my t-stat housing from a failed water pump this summer, and I was trying to not "break them loose." Unfortunately, the combination of steel bolts, aluminum housings, and corrosion wasn't a good one. I admit I did not soak them; this might have helped, but mine looked pretty bad inside. Since my repair was much more extensive than just the t-stat, I ended up buying another housing. My old one is still not apart, but it could possibly be saved by drilling.

I *think* I anti-siezed the new ones, but honestly now I'm not sure. Good luck, and take your time.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
...Here is what I would do, coolant out! Replace water pump. This way you can remove the pump (easiest) and work on a bench to loosen the other screws.

That's my back-up plan if they are stubborn -- the trick, of course, is to know when to give up.

Is that (unusual) thru-bolt with nut an improvement or just a fix for stripped threads?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bolts are out.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement to be patient. I soaked them for a couple of days... since they are soaking upside down I made little pans out of film container caps, cut a bit of towel to fit and held them against the bolt heads using rare earth magnets under the caps. Then I was able to dribble PBlaster into the cups from above to keep the towel wet and the bolt heads soaked for a day & a half (BTW, the towel bit was my wife's idea).

I recalled a story from a book a mechanic friend wrote about working on cars -- when he hired a novice he would have them clamp bolts of various sizes in a vise and then wrench them til they broke. He wanted them to get to know what it felt like when a bolt was twisting apart rather than turning. I did this with a few old grade 5 bolts of similar size to the ones in the thermostat. It was distressing how easily I could break them (about 12 lbs on the ones I tried using a torque wrench).

Thanks again -- I was really hoping to avoid (for now) an R&R of a perfectly fine H2O pump and the gyrations involved in getting that thing out & in.
CTB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result! Excellent, glad that worked out for you. Nice thinking on the soaking bit.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
The bolts are out.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement to be patient. I soaked them for a couple of days... since they are soaking upside down I made little pans out of film container caps, cut a bit of towel to fit and held them against the bolt heads using rare earth magnets under the caps. Then I was able to dribble PBlaster into the cups from above to keep the towel wet and the bolt heads soaked for a day & a half (BTW, the towel bit was my wife's idea).

That is a great idea. Nice work.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtwrench540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: stuck bolts Reply with quote

i see that some has found kroil,best stuff i have ever used! one
Terry Kay wrote:
After soaking them in Kroil, istead of just trying to crank them out all at once work them back & forth.

Turn in a hair first, then work them a little at a time out--not all at once.

You'll be less prone to snapping them off with the wiggle routine.

87 wolfsberg,74 181w/1915 and lots of patina! learned to fix vw's from hot vw mag in 1964,VWOA instructor,DSM,69 to73,service mgr at different porsche-audi dealers etc,etc,now retired!!! first vw new 64,transplanted 356 eng in 65,400characters are not enough space!!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-up for future searchers as I found little out there about the tstat R&R on early (1.9L) engines and even the Bentley suggests it is difficult unless you remove the whole unit.

Was straight forward though the install was much easier with the oil filter removed -- then you have enough room to get a hand on the lower housing body whilst fitting up the bolts. Was not even necessary to bleed the coolant as I was able to get all I caught back in there with the overflow just a bit higher than before. A couple of drives and it self-bled that bit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: